DIY speaker cable risers

HappyBear

DIY speaker cable risers.

A simple design made from 2" x 4" scraps of lumber from the garage, currently in an unfinished bare wood condition.

The idea is to create a more uniform magnetic field as AC signals pass through the speaker cables by raising them off the floor.

The net result is said to be a more favorable subjective listening experience.

If there is no realized improvement, the cost of the project was limited to the time spent.

HappyBear

DIY speaker cable risers front view.jpg

Felt dampers were applied to the base of the DIY speaker cable risers.

This will further decouple the wood base from the floor (concrete with vinyl tiles).

The next step will be to install the risers under speaker cables and begin a subjective review of this project.

Happy Bear

DIY speaker cable risers felt dampers.JPG

DIY speaker cable risers installed.

12AWG Monster Cable stranded copper speaker wire from the Manifesto SE tube amplifier to crossovers (Altec 800Hz 2nd order w/compensation circuits) is seen elevated off the floor.

This project was worth the time invested: subjective improvements in background, micro-detail and transients were realized.

HappyBear

DIY cable risers pt. 2.JPG

Will floor capacitance matter? There is already capacitance in your speaker cable +/- terminslcwhich will be more than floor capacitance. Wondering.

Will floor capacitance matter? There is already capacitance in your speaker cable +/- terminslcwhich will be more than floor capacitance. Wondering.
Danny Ritchie of GR Research seems to think that an imbalance in the magnetic field around the cable caused by floor materials could result in a negative subjective effect depending on overall system resolution.

For the small cost of DIY, there is little to lose by trying.

The next step will be new Fulton length speaker cables.

HB will use Southwire 14/2 direct burial speaker cable and double up the wires for 11AWG per +/-.

HB

I have few questions / doubts now.
Pl ignore if this is trival/frivolous question - this post can be deleted.

Does Earth magnetic field affect the audio perceptions ?
I mean, having read something like it exert to some extent on the current-carrying wire in a direction ( right hand rule 1 or 2 ) .
Is this treated as a constant in the listening observations ?
or
we do consider this and place the Source of the Power ( say in the North ) , the Equipment in the South - effectively current carrying from north to south .
|||ly for Speaker wire - chose a direction , something like , North to south /South to North / or place ones equipments on a different floor and always move the wire vertically to avoid these ...

Felt dampers were applied to the base of the DIY speaker cable risers.

This will further decouple the wood base from the floor (concrete with vinyl tiles).

The next step will be to install the risers under speaker cables and begin a subjective review of this project.

Happy Bear

View attachment 79499
Great work, what felt are those?

I mean, having read something like it exert to some extent on the current-carrying wire in a direction ( right hand rule 1 or 2 ) .
or
we do consider this and place the Source of the Power ( say in the North ) , the Equipment in the South - effectively current carrying from north to south .
|||ly for Speaker wire - chose a direction , something like , North to south /South to North / or place ones equipments on a different floor and always move the wire vertically to avoid these ...
Imo, it's more placebo. If you believe it affects then you do weird things like cable risers and hanging wires. If you don't believe then you connect your amp and speakers with wires and don't care how they are laid and just enjoy music.

Cable lifters do they make any impact? I couldn't hear the difefrence when I used toilet rolls
The effect of cable lifter depends on overall system resolution.

If there are too many underperforming components in the system, the subjective benefits of cable risers might not be realized.

or
This is a valid question but one HB has not taken into consideration while trying to optimize audio system wires.

There are probably a lot of environmental factors that can affect the subjective listening experience.

Imo, it's more placebo. If you believe it affects then you do weird things like cable risers and hanging wires. If you don't believe then you connect your amp and speakers with wires and don't care how they are laid and just enjoy music.
If something augments the subjective listening experience in a positive way, it is valid for that person.

Our thoughts and beliefs frequently manifest into reality.

No need to overthink something like "cable lifters" when simple "cut and try" will be more enlightening.

If something augments the subjective listening experience in a positive way, it is valid for that person.

Our thoughts and beliefs frequently manifest into reality.

No need to overthink something like "cable lifters" when simple "cut and try" will be more enlightening.
I agree. I too am an avid believer in lots of wierd stuff that are placebo for others and I am ok with that too. I follow live and let live in peace. If you are able to learn and benefit then good and if not, then still it's good for me.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back