Do i need to upgrade my home theater

To get subwoofer to -3 to +3 db what changes I should I make in av receiver and also in subwoofer.
It has set crossover at 80 hz
Front and centre- large
Rest of the speakers- small
Should I change anything in the crossover or leave it like that.
I did not understand ur question- how many points does your auto set up cover??

Hi,

First set all speakers except Sub to Small. Refer to my first post on this. Sub is set to 80Hz? Is that on the Sub or in the receiver? If on the sub back panel, ignore it, when connected via the LFE, bass management is done by the receiver. Increase the volume on the Subwoofer and run the receiver auto setup, it will see a higher gain from the Sub and hence set a lower gain at the receiver side. Thats how you play with the Sub volume.

When you run the Auto Setup how many seating positions does it consider?

MaSh

I will increase the volume in the sub presently it is at 50%and cross over turned to max and I will tune again till I get subwoofer level in av receiver close to -3 to 3 .
As long as your receiver has not maxed out at +12, you can leave the sub settings where it is or you could do as suggested to keep everything even. Glad to contribute though. Let us know how you like the sound after the adjustments.

Last edited:
Hi,

First set all speakers except Sub to Small. Refer to my first post on this. Sub is set to 80Hz? Is that on the Sub or in the receiver? If on the sub back panel, ignore it, when connected via the LFE, bass management is done by the receiver. Increase the volume on the Subwoofer and run the receiver auto setup, it will see a higher gain from the Sub and hence set a lower gain at the receiver side. Thats how you play with the Sub volume.

When you run the Auto Setup how many seating positions does it consider?

MaSh
When I run the auto setup it considered 9 positions.

Sir you have said ur first post- cross over in the receiver to set at 100hz and all speakers to small and turn crossover knob in the sub to max so that it will be handled by av receiver .

When I run the auto setup it considered 9 positions.

Sir you have said ur first post- cross over in the receiver to set at 100hz and all speakers to small and turn crossover knob in the sub to max so that it will be handled by av receiver .

No no please don't call me Sir. Yet to deserve that.

Yes Front set to small and cross over to 80Hz. All other speakers except Sub to Small and cross over to 100hz. The crossover on the Sub is bypassed when you connect the Sub to the Sub Out on the receiver.

MaSh

N
Thank you . One more doubt when I do the above changes do I need to reset receiver and au to tune or I can just do over the current setting
Nope no need to reset. Every autosetup run overwrites the previous settings. How are you placing the Mic? What is your pattern?

MaSh

At surround speakers level middle of surround speakers I have kept a chair and on which I have placed the tripod and whatever the settings told by members I will do and start the process making sure all connections are ok , all components are connected and no background sound in the room . I am uploading the mic position .

Attachments

• 252DA0CA-F5A9-40D2-BE66-FC8D3A9770FB.jpeg
    252DA0CA-F5A9-40D2-BE66-FC8D3A9770FB.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 21
At surround speakers level middle of surround speakers I have kept a chair and on which I have placed the tripod and whatever the settings told by members I will do and start the process making sure all connections are ok , all components are connected and no background sound in the room . I am uploading the mic position .

Thats Good. So thats your Primary or Main sitting position. This is the first position when the primary leveling works and also the position when you should get your Sub at the +3 to -3 db level. Once you have the Sub at this level, then proceed to the next positions which I am sure would be displayed on the screen. The ideal distance between mic positions to the left and right of Primary position and then in front of this row is around 2 feet. Basically you form a grid with all the mic positions around the Primary position. Well as I have only used Audyssey, so I am mostly speaking from its experience and I am sure MCACC should be similar. Below is a forum link giving some great tips and the reference guide. I am sure they will help in getting your setup in its sweet spot.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to-get-the-best-from-pioneer-mcacc.986641/
Reference Guide (2014): https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiXpMeO__rXAhVKz2MKHTj2C1MQFggoMAA&url=https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/2014_MCACC_Ref_Guide.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1ORt99qD50p8yruQC6CgwF

MaSh

Good morning
my system config:
Room dimension-17'6'' X 12'00'' with wooden flooring
System config:
One Pair Wharfedale Diamond 230 Floorstanding Speakers
One Piece Wharfedale 220 Centre Channel Speakers
Two Pair Wharfedale 10.DFS rear/Surround Speakers
Wharfedale D-10 Subwoofer
One pair of warfaedale 10. DFS as height speakers
Pioneer-VSX- LX-302 Av Receiver

i am not happy with the sound effects both in movie and music.

I tried suggestions by fellow members.

almost 3 months over done autotuning 10-12 times. manual distance measurement but no improvement.

i have reset the receiver 5-6 times .

please give me frank opinion :

1) do my choice regarding receiver ,speakers and subwoofer is correct

2) what i need to replace or change - all speakers/ floor standers/subwoofer/surround speaker/ Av receiver
3) please suggest best speakers available in india for the same

thank you. troubling you all. please help me

with regards

vinayaka

I would like to share my experience of sound effects of my av receiver and speakers.
My system consists of.
Avr -Marantz 6011
Fronts -polk rti a7
Center Polk csi a4
Sorr-Polk csi a4
Frnt Height-polk rti a3
Rear height-polk tsx110b
Sub-Polk dsw 660
Sony blu ray player
Arcam cd player

After running audessey i tested my system with bluray movies, audio cd in 2.0 configuration, tata sky hd in hd channels with DD+ sound.
But with neither way i was happy with sound quality and effects. It was rather flat with very less effects. Bass was boomy not tight.
Sound of fronts was not blending with sub or sorrunds.
I WAS VERY unhappy with my sys...
Then i added Marantz MM 7025 two channel power amp for my fronts rtia7
and added svs subwoofer isolation path to my sub.
Changed my speaker cables to chord clear way .Fronts are biwired with clear way.
No auddesy this time but Graphic eq on.
Now sound quality improved with great effects. Very good improvements .
I was very surprised what a power amp can do to sound effects.
But sound was bit harsh to my ears and bass not very tight.
So what then left to do. I read an article on effect of good power supply on audio quality.
So i installed on line ups for power supply for my equipments. Now the sound became very smooth and pleasant. Sound effects are superb and moves very well from speaker to speaker. Now i can feel the sorrund effects with very good blending with sub. Bass is quite improved.
Now i have ordered an 3.5 kva isolation transformer which will be connected to out put of my on line ups.
I will share its effctiveness...
I think there is need of good power supply along with our equipments.
Thanks

After sub woofer crawl and changing floor standers angulation to straight . I have reset the av receiver did maac tuning again results as follows
Front left-0.03m level= -0.5db
Centre- 0.12m level= 0.0db
Front right-0.12m level=0.0db
Height left-3.93mlevel=0.5db
Height right-3.96m level=0.5db
Surround right-1.71m level=-1.5db
Surround back right-1.92m level=0.5db
Surround back left-2.01m level=0.0db
Surround left-1.8m level=-1.5db
Subwoofer- 1.86m level=8.5db

Your AVR is only 7.1 capable.. So 8 speaker level only possible during MCACC calibration.. You have given a total of 10 speaker level.. two speaker level than what is MCACC is capable of..

At any point of time, use only 7.1.. If you are swapping between front heights Vs surround back, you may loose some of these settings..So which ever layout you like (Front heights Vs surr back), decide on that first & then make the final calibration..

I think macc tuning / receiver is calculating distance from av receiver???

The distance to each speaker / speaker level is accounted from the your listening position (or) where you place the Mic in the room..

Mine also takes 9 point readings

Audyssey (XT & XT32) offer 8 different mic positions (8 different places) near your listening position.. if you have 8 speakers (7.1), each speaker will be measured 8 times from different Mic position..

Think MCACC calibration supports only 1 point calibration (Mic position in one place).. The 9 point reading, which you say is 9 speaker measurements..

Your AVR is only 7.1 capable.. So 8 speaker level only possible during MCACC calibration.. You have given a total of 10 speaker level.. two speaker level than what is MCACC is capable of..

At any point of time, use only 7.1.. If you are swapping between front heights Vs surround back, you may loose some of these settings..So which ever layout you like (Front heights Vs surr back), decide on that first & then make the final calibration..

The distance to each speaker / speaker level is accounted from the your listening position (or) where you place the Mic in the room..

Audyssey (XT & XT32) offer 8 different mic positions (8 different places) near your listening position.. if you have 8 speakers (7.1), each speaker will be measured 8 times from different Mic position..

Think MCACC calibration supports only 1 point calibration (Mic position in one place).. The 9 point reading, which you say is 9 speaker measurements..
Shall I remove height speakers and run mcacc

Also , i see you post multiple times in a span of 10 ~ 15 mins.. Incase you are not aware, forum allows 60 mins of time to edit your last post to add any additional information you have missed..So please use that option to share your feedback collectively than multiple posts..

shall I remove height channels from av receiver and run mcacc?!

You will need to decide which speaker layout you need in 7.1 .. Whether surr back (or) front heights.. If you don't have surr back speakers, it will get routed to surrounds.. So a 7.1 with front heights would be the best compromise..

Dolby Atmos (or) Dts X use height channels.. You would also get height information from regular Dolby/Dts content using Neural X (or) dolby surround preset on your AVR.. I think you should settle for Front heights in your 7.1 set-up and not standard 7.1 set-up with surr back.. Anyways, up to you to decide..

sorry sir i did not know i can edit my post. sorry to trouble you all. so still my doubt is -most format what is available is -7.1 using height format or 7.1 with back surround.
1) shall i remove height channels from my receiver ?
2) shall i remove back surround channels from my receiver?
thanks in advance
with regards
vinayaka

sorry sir i did not know i can edit my post.

Not a problem.. use that feature, whenever necessary..

sorry to trouble you all. so still my doubt is -most format what is available is -7.1 using height format or 7.1 with back surround.

Most recent BR Discs & BR Rips which are aval in Dolby Atmos / Dts X have height information by default..

The older BR Discs/DVD/ BR Rips will have standard Dolby/Dts sound tracks with/without surr back info..bare minimum what you will get is 5.1 with surrounds only..

1) shall i remove height channels from my receiver ?
2) shall i remove back surround channels from my receiver?
thanks in advance
with regards
vinayaka

As said earlier, best to have front height in your 5.1.2 set-up.. This will be best compromise to enjoy both newer formats Atmos/Dts X & standard 5/7.1 formats with (or) without surr back..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back