DTS X rival to Dolby Atmos

RajithKumar

Hi !,
DTS has announced its take on object-based surround sound, called DTS:X,(earlier told as MDA ,UHD etc) which will debut in homes and cinemas this summer (US).
The following models receivers will have DTS X
Denon - AVR-X7200W available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015
Integra - launching several models by fall 2015
Marantz - AV8802 available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015
Onkyo - launching several models by fall 2015 (TX-NR646 and TX-NR747 is on sale in amazon.com )
Pioneer - to be announced
Yamaha - launching DTS:X ready models in fall 2015

I just started the thread to know your views and opinion on this..
DTS claims that DTS:X doesn't require any specific speaker layout, you can arrange your home theater system however you want.

Onkyo has set up a web page with some info on DTS:X and a couple of the lower priced Onkyo models that will have it:

DTSX and ONKYO

Note that the current version of DTS:X for consumers (not the version for movie theatres) has 16 streams and 2 LFE channels. Mixers can use the 16 streams in any combination of channels and objects: 7 channels + 9 moving objects, 11 channels + 5 moving objects, etc.

Yeah I also read that it functions based on the spherical layout ...controlled by the DTS Neural X , a new spatial remapping engine

I tried to read up on DTS X for a while, found this image in one of the link...
Screen_Shot_2015-04-09_at_1.45_.jpg
That's a screenshot of the DTS MDA (Multi Dimensional Audio) mixing tool. You can use a mouse to grab audio objects and move them around in 3D space (the closer you get to the centre of the circle, the higher up in elevation the sound is). MDA is the name of the mixing format; the playback format is called DTS:X.

Can we have 5.1 standard layout with 4 height speakers & 1 ceiling speakers ?

In the image any idea what does LLF, RLF, LSS, RSS & other abbreviation other than the normal ones mean?

Can we have 5.1 standard layout with 4 height speakers & 1 ceiling speakers ?
Initial version of DTS:X will support up to 4 height speakers, which can be on the ceiling (like Atmos) or high up on the walls (like Auro).
In the image any idea what does LLF, RLF, LSS, RSS & other abbreviation other than the normal ones mean?
LF = Low Front.

There are 3 low front speakers (LLF, CLF, RLF) intended to be roughly 30 degrees below ear level (below the main L, C, R speakers).

SS = Surround Side. SR = Surround Rear.

For 5.1 set-ups, you only have a single pair of surrounds. But for 7.1 set-ups, you have two pairs: surround sides (LSS & RSS) and surround rears (LSR & RSR).

Last edited:
Initial version of DTS:X will support up to 4 height speakers, which can be on the ceiling (like Atmos) or high up on the walls (like Auro). LF = Low Front.

I think high up on walls is easy to mount than the ceiling speaker...

There are 3 low front speakers (LLF, CLF, RLF) intended to be roughly 30 degrees below ear level (below the main L, C, R speakers).

SS = Surround Side. SR = Surround Rear.

For 5.1 set-ups, you only have a single pair of surrounds. But for 7.1 set-ups, you have two pairs: surround sides (LSS & RSS) and surround rears (LSR & RSR).

Front low speaker is intersting

I think more infos are coming out ... me too a DTS fan is willing to know whats the maximum possibilities a normal home theatre enthusiast can do with this ...

I think high up on walls is easy to mount than the ceiling speaker...
True, but will it give the impression of sounds above you as good as having speakers above you? That is, are you compromising accuracy to what you hear in a commercial Atmos cinema (overhead sound) for the sake of convenience (not having to mount speakers on the ceiling)? This will be a continuing discussion as Atmos and DTS:X receivers become cheaper and more consumers adopt the format.

True, but will it give the impression of sounds above you as good as having speakers above you? That is, are you compromising accuracy to what you hear in a commercial Atmos cinema (overhead sound) for the sake of convenience (not having to mount speakers on the ceiling)? This will be a continuing discussion as Atmos and DTS:X receivers become cheaper and more consumers adopt the format.

Yeah you are right :) ....

Of the released movies, Ex-Machina was something I watched and didnt notice the difference, but I believe, there is a post in the Movies I liked thread where someone did find it outstanding.

Of the released movies, Ex-Machina was something I watched and didnt notice the difference, but I believe, there is a post in the Movies I liked thread where someone did find it outstanding.

What was the speaker layout, AVR & speakers used?

Anyone here who has auditioned DTS:X material in an AVR (or) Pre-Pro combo? Please share your experience...
No different than Atmos. Both formats deliver a lossless immersive audio experience. Comes down to the mix. 'Ex Machina' was a dialogue driven movie, so mostly ambience in the surrounds and heights. 'American Ultra' had more aggressive surround and overhead activity.

Damn. How many more channels of sound are these guys going to put in a home.
I have a sneaky suspicion that the audio industry is conspiring with the real estate industry to force us into buying bigger homes and acquiring larger mortgages.

Quoting an infamous and contemporary politician's line:
"Sab mile huye hai ji"

Cheers,
Raghu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back