Fans of Television Series

It's such a wonderful Series but somehow fell through the crack.

My review here. Was just about to write about the second season

The Head (NF): Antarctica, the last frontier. Light for 6 months, Day and darkness for the rest 6, Night. At a remote research station Polaris VI, the Day crew is just about to leave for home, handing over the station to the recently arrived crew for the Night. Thus begins the series. The latest crew has to battle harshest winter man has ever known with mostly the same faces, a few new recruits and different temperaments. Its a huge problem of egos, prejudices, tolerances and fragmentation. Suddenly the entire crew goes missing and incommunicado for 3 weeks. A team arrives for investigation headed by Johan (Alexandre Willaume) and is welcomed by the bodies of the Night team, with only 2 survivors and his missing wife. It's quickly evident that the connection is with Polaris V, a previous Research Station which burned down in an accident. Rest, I will leave it to you, if you wanna watch this. Its an okay-ish series with peppered with flashbacks, but if you pay attention, you'll guess (Read know) who the killer is. Limited series, can be finished in a day or so.
Its on Hotstar and Not NF. My bad!

Like I said, a lot of questions than answers. I seriously hope they have a season 2. Let me check with the makers :D:D
Samantar S02(MX Player): The story completes a full circle. All questions are answered with the same tautness that was seen in S01. The S01 actors, Swapnil Joshi, Tejaswini Pandit and Nitish Bharadwaj have now another powerhouse Sai Tamhankar to add to the story. She is easily the central character of this season. Her scary cunningness as Sudarshan's love interest is evident in just her looks! Similarly, the way she covers her bottled-up frustration by being so helpless and timid is the highlight of the show. Since both the seasons are out, now its a must watch as the continuity will make it a gripping watch.

Ray (NF): A collection of 4 stories by Satyajit Ray. I love anthologies. They are so interesting to watch and you get a taste of different genres in the same flow. Watching anthologies like Ray, Darna Mana Hai, Stories by Rabindranath Tagore, Lust Stories etc. is like eating a Thali at a restaurant, you get to enjoy a lot of dishes and even though not all are our favorites, it still satiates you visually and physiologically.

Ray is a collection of 4 stories. My absolute favorites are the first 3, Forget Me Not (Ali Fazal, Shweta Basu Prasad), Bahurupiya (KK Menon) and Hangama Kyun Hai Barpa (Manoj Bajpayee, Gajraj Rao). The last one Spotlight (Harshvardhan Kapoor) is easy to forget. If you remember, in my review of Ashram, I had mentioned Chandan Roy Sanyal, he is the saving grace in the drab storyline of Spotlight. I want to see more of this guy. He is an amazing actor. A natural. I wish he gets more meatier roles in the future. The rest of the story in Spotlight is as I said, dull and uninteresting. Watch it only for the first 3 stories and the last one for Chandan.

Katla(NF): Shot in the beautiful and mesmerizing Iceland, Katla is an active volcano in Iceland situated over a huge glacier. A year after the eruption, a small town Vik which is closest to the volcano, has only a few residents who chose to stay behind. The rest migrated to other cities. Vik - which is perpetually covered with so much volcanic ash that it looks black, has limited potable water, no vegetation to consume both by humans and cattle. It has only a few families who barely manage to live by, a small hotel for the scientists and volcanologists and their guests, and other migratory analysts. The town is off-limits to other folks to ward off thrill-seekers and the only way to enter is to obtain a permit and then travel on the only boat. Communication is largely through a sat phone. And to top it all, the sub-zero temps, blizzards, storms and erratic supplies. Now imagine, in a town with such restrictions and unimaginable living conditions a lady covered with only dried volcanic ash appears from nowhere. She was living there 20 years ago, had left Iceland and was never seen thereafter. She is also "living" with her son in Sweden. YES, two of her at the same time. :oops: Missing or dead people mysteriously start to appear from under the volcano terrifying the residents. We never know why till the last episode.

For me it was a welcome change from the regular plots and stories. The last episode carries a warning and yes, it is disturbing to an extent. Especially the scene with Mikael. The story moves at a slow pace and the progress is a bit too sluggish at times. Once you understand the complex ending and the plot, its an interesting watch.

I kinda understood the whys and the whos after a discussion with the wife and that quelled the curiosity. Its an intricately woven story of relationships, regret and human emotions. Let me know if you understood the story :)

Gullak- S01 and S02 (TVF/Sony Liv): Originally a TVF presentation, its now on SonyLiv. Arguably the only Hindi serial worth binging right now. Its like a Christmas gift for us. Like how a real Gullak (Money Bank) has monies of different denominations, this serial has everything - exemplary acting, meaty punchlines, perfect script, and above all its a tribute to the GIMC (Great Indian Middle Class).

Its a story of a simple middle class UP family - the Mishras. Absent are the lavish sets, drama, hamming, vulgarity which are the USP of serials today. Instead you are treated to a banquet of emotions, comedy, and simplicity that we can relate to. Its like us on the other side of the camera. Gullak has all the ingredients to keep you hooked-on to the 12 episodes. It tugs the strings of your heart and uncovers the emotions that lay hidden as a result of our choices and ambitions. It has the magic to take us back to the small cities most of us belong to, the common chhats, the narrow galliya, the neighbourhood gossips, the irritating padosis, the one friend we have who can do almost anything for us. Gullak is the dal-chawal we all crave for but seldom eat.

Each member of the Mishra parivar does his job perfectly. You don't need anyone else. These 4 are enough. You cannot remove any one character from the cast, such is the balance. The story touches upon every element and emotion a middle class family goes through. Geetanjali Kulkarni as the mother, Jameel Khan as the Father, Vaibhav Raj Gupta and Harsh Mayar as the two sons are enough to carry this series on for a very very long time. While S01 focuses on the comedy, S02 is leans a bit towards the emotional aspect.

Folks from my era may remember Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi, Nukkad, Hum Log, Buniyaad etc. Gullak reminds you of that era. Limited actors, Outstanding Acting and an Amazing Storyline for you to remember for ages. Gullak is just that. And for those who are fond of Khaane ke baad meetha - there is the title song and the protagonist - Gullak (Shivkant Singh Parihar). A MUST WATCH! :)

Babylon Berlin (Netflix-US) - A great series - good acting, story, direction, and photography and the sets are beyond cool. It is created, written and directed by Tom Tykwer, Achim von Borries and Hendrik Handloegten, based on novels by German author Volker Kutscher. The series is set in Berlin during the latter years of the Weimar Republic, beginning in 1929.

Gullak- S01 and S02 (TVF/Sony Liv): Originally a TVF presentation, its now on SonyLiv. Arguably the only Hindi serial worth binging right now. Its like a Christmas gift for us. Like how a real Gullak (Money Bank) has monies of different denominations, this serial has everything - exemplary acting, meaty punchlines, perfect script, and above all its a tribute to the GIMC (Great Indian Middle Class).

Its a story of a simple middle class UP family - the Mishras. Absent are the lavish sets, drama, hamming, vulgarity which are the USP of serials today. Instead you are treated to a banquet of emotions, comedy, and simplicity that we can relate to. Its like us on the other side of the camera. Gullak has all the ingredients to keep you hooked-on to the 12 episodes. It tugs the strings of your heart and uncovers the emotions that lay hidden as a result of our choices and ambitions. It has the magic to take us back to the small cities most of us belong to, the common chhats, the narrow galliya, the neighbourhood gossips, the irritating padosis, the one friend we have who can do almost anything for us. Gullak is the dal-chawal we all crave for but seldom eat.

Each member of the Mishra parivar does his job perfectly. You don't need anyone else. These 4 are enough. You cannot remove any one character from the cast, such is the balance. The story touches upon every element and emotion a middle class family goes through. Geetanjali Kulkarni as the mother, Jameel Khan as the Father, Vaibhav Raj Gupta and Harsh Mayar as the two sons are enough to carry this series on for a very very long time. While S01 focuses on the comedy, S02 is leans a bit towards the emotional aspect.

Folks from my era may remember Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi, Nukkad, Hum Log, Buniyaad etc. Gullak reminds you of that era. Limited actors, Outstanding Acting and an Amazing Storyline for you to remember for ages. Gullak is just that. And for those who are fond of Khaane ke baad meetha - there is the title song and the protagonist - Gullak (Shivkant Singh Parihar). A MUST WATCH! :)
TVF makes terrific family content!

Check Aam Aadmi Family, Yeh Meri Family, Panchayat, Kota etc.

Others not so family friendly are Permanant Roomamates, Tripling. Not to forget their best Pitchers.

TVF makes terrific family content!

Check Aam Aadmi Family, Yeh Meri Family, Panchayat, Kota etc.

Others not so family friendly are Permanant Roomamates, Tripling. Not to forget their best Pitchers.
Thanks for the pointers. Will definitely try those. Appreciate it :)

Mare of Easttown (2021/ HBO) is one of the greatest crime/ thriller I have seen lately. Kate Winslet in lead has done amazing job. This series is just 7 episodes long and you will be on the edge of your seet till last 10 min of the show. Totally recommend. 10/10

The Mosquito Coast , available on Apple TV, is a serial that showcases the ‘adventures’ of an American family comprising of father , mother and teenage son and daughter. The father is an antiestablishment guy , good with working with hands , obsessively living off the grid and running away from something, his past — which is revealed stingily as the narrative is driven forward , a little incredulously at times — and two persistent investigators hot on the chase . The father is headstrong , the mother seemingly pliant to her husband’s devices , but driven to an extent by her own strong personal political views that align with her husband’s so that she is not so much a suffering wife as she is a willing accomplice. The children are typical for their age , but their nurturing is slowly shaping their worldview. In one of the episodes , the boy , aged 10 or 11 years , innocently asks , ‘what is an x-box?’ The daughter is older , 15 years perhaps. As an adolescent she is coming on her own and though she runs away from home , unwilling to be the baggage in her father’s persistent relocation projects , once found by her father at the bus station, rescues him from being arrested by two local policemen by first boobytrapping one of them and driving away the getaway truck.

So far , it’s premature to say where the serial is heading — geographically it is in Mexico now — but an early hint of a denouement did come , when the father is put in his place by Chuey a young Mexican people smuggler — a coyote —who has reluctantly been persuaded to help the family cross the border into Mexico, much at his own personal imperilment.

The father proselytises his hate for America for its consumerism and waste and wants his family to live a life of active resistance. But Chuey says in his obsession to use his loved ones around him to fructify his own personal agenda and for his lack of empathy , he is in fact the embodiment of the America that he professes to hate.
Halfway through. Recommended!!! I cannot add anything more than what @moktan wrote here. Watch it purely for the different storyline and some fantastic acting.

Mare Of EastTown 8.5/10 - A fantastic series. A heady cocktail of family drama cum suspense thriller. Well written and well acted. it's brilliantly shouldered by Kate. A powerhouse performance. She is well supported by all supporting cast, especially by Jean Smart and Julianne Nicholson.

Ragnarok (NF) : A modern touch to the legendary Ragnarok (Translated - The Great Battle between the gods and the giants on Norse mythology) There is a Thor, a Loki, Odin, the Midgard Serpent, the giants and yes the Mjolnir! 2 seasons with 6 episodes each. I loved the way they've tried to weave the age old story in the modern era. How Thor and Loki shape up to have the same characteristics as their ancient selves, how Thor experiences a heartbreak, the cunningness of Loki and how the story is written keeping in mind the characters of Ragnarok is commendable. The lead does justice to the story and David Stakston as Thor, portrayed as a Dyslexic Magne, does some amazing work. But for me, Laurits, played by Jonas Strand Gravli as his brother is the highlight of the entire series. He is shown to be struggling with his sexuality and identity- as I said, modern touch :) . To balance the scale and inclusivity, Danu Suth as Iman, is casted as the reincarnation of Freyja. Its a watchable fare. I just hope, Edda, the town where Ragnarok is supposed to happen, remains the same beauty as it is! I mean I hope it is not polluted or devastated by modernism as it's shown in the series.

Spoiler Alert:
Ted Lasso season 2 has started. Lasso’s team has been stuck on draws. Finally a penalty kick , to be taken by the Mexican — FOOTBALL IS LIFE —offers the opportunity for a win. The penalty kick is intercepted at the goal line by the team mascot (who is lunging after a bird). The ball hits the dog and it dies. It’s a scene straight out of a Bunuel dream. Only this one is real and the Mexican loses his mojo.
Sadly it isn’t just the team that has lost its mojo. The series seems jaded . A multi-lingual psychiatrist is able to restore the confidence of the player. Perhaps similar intervention will raise the series in the next episode ? Otherwise to me it looks like it will sink to the bottom of the slough where it will meet the detritus of other serials that disintegrated in the second season.

Katla(NF): Shot in the beautiful and mesmerizing Iceland, Katla is an active volcano in Iceland situated over a huge glacier. A year after the eruption, a small town Vik which is closest to the volcano, has only a few residents who chose to stay behind. The rest migrated to other cities. Vik - which is perpetually covered with so much volcanic ash that it looks black, has limited potable water, no vegetation to consume both by humans and cattle. It has only a few families who barely manage to live by, a small hotel for the scientists and volcanologists and their guests, and other migratory analysts. The town is off-limits to other folks to ward off thrill-seekers and the only way to enter is to obtain a permit and then travel on the only boat. Communication is largely through a sat phone. And to top it all, the sub-zero temps, blizzards, storms and erratic supplies. Now imagine, in a town with such restrictions and unimaginable living conditions a lady covered with only dried volcanic ash appears from nowhere. She was living there 20 years ago, had left Iceland and was never seen thereafter. She is also "living" with her son in Sweden. YES, two of her at the same time. :oops: Missing or dead people mysteriously start to appear from under the volcano terrifying the residents. We never know why till the last episode.

For me it was a welcome change from the regular plots and stories. The last episode carries a warning and yes, it is disturbing to an extent. Especially the scene with Mikael. The story moves at a slow pace and the progress is a bit too sluggish at times. Once you understand the complex ending and the plot, its an interesting watch.

I kinda understood the whys and the whos after a discussion with the wife and that quelled the curiosity. Its an intricately woven story of relationships, regret and human emotions. Let me know if you understood the story :)

This is a very good series. I loved Baltasar Kormakur’s “Trapped”, which I watched last year, is my benchmark in slow-burn mystery/drama. This here is slower than that! If we're used to European Art-house cinema kind of pacing, then it shouldn't be a major issue. My guess would be that the lower rating on IMDb must've resulted from the slower pacing and the vague ending (which raises more questions, rather than answers). This story is more of an experience, rather than giving us clearly laid out answers.

My understanding of what is going on in Vik (inside Spoiler tag) :)

Darri tells his wife Rakel (Ep-8) that Mikael could be a manifestation of his thoughts. This could be an extension of the Eastern philosophy which considers the physical world as a reflection of the dreamer. In Darri’s mind Mikael is still an 8 year old (when he died) and still has no remorse over setting his school on fire.

If we extend this to the other Changelings, Thors never saw Gunhild in 20 years, and her memories must’ve been on his mind. Hence, the Gunhild who shows up is also 20 years younger than her ‘real’ version.

Grima had been depressed and under medication after her sister Asa died. The Asa who returns looks the same, but is different (this is an idea that is repeated by different characters in the series). This Asa could be the ideal version in Grima’s memories. The alter-Grima who turns up is also the same, yet different. She could also be Grima’s hope of returning to her past state.

There are some unexplained bits (or I didn’t get it): Why didn’t Kjartan not recognise/notice the real Grima?

The final shot with several changelings, all mirror images. Does that denote the lost people who live in the thoughts of those who lived in Vik? Another season on the cards which will have more answers (than questions)?

On a lighter note, in the “Orphan” movie review, Roger Ebert had noted:

After seeing "Orphan," I now realize that Damien of "The Omen" was a model child. The Demon Seed was a bumper crop. Rosemary would have been happy to have this baby. Here is a shamelessly effective horror film based on the most diabolical of movie malefactors, a child.

I think Mikael, the creepy kid here will also give Damien some tough competition :D

Netflix
My all time favorites: MindHunter, Sons of Anarchy, House, The Fall, The Good Wife, Fauda, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, Vikings, Black Mirror, The Last Kingdom, Narcos, Narcos:Mexico

Other shows I really liked: Rake, Blacklist, Line of Duty, The Sinner, Bodyguard, Shetland, Hinterland, Lupin, Bad Blood, Katla, Sweet Tooth, Snowpiercer, The Queen's Gambit, The Alienist, Caliphate, Unbelievable, The Spy, Orphan Black, Unabomber, The people vs OJ Simpson, Godless, The end of the fun***in world, Punisher, Sherlock, The Valhalla Murders, Outlander, The Crown

Hotstar
My all time favorites: GOT, Homeland, True Detective, The Wire, Chernobyl, Banshee, Mayans MC, Boston Legal

Other shows I liked: Mr.Inbetween, C.B.Strike, The Night of, The Outsider

Sadly it isn’t just the team that has lost its mojo. The series seems jaded . A multi-lingual psychiatrist is able to restore the confidence of the player. Perhaps similar intervention will raise the series in the next episode ? Otherwise to me it looks like it will sink to the bottom of the slough where it will meet the detritus of other serials that disintegrated in the second season.
Couldnt agree more. I couldnt wait for the next episode during season 1 but I couldnt wait for the episode to end during the 2nd season. They seem to have abandoned everything that made the first season great. Hope they recover their senses soon.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back