Feedback required: Can Logitech z5500 be used for home theater setup?

vizeta

Hi Guyz,

I want to add 5.1 sound system o make home theater with my existing 47" 3D LED TV. I want advice from existing owners of Z5500 if that can be used as 5.1 sound system and how good output they are getting.

I understand that this system is designed for Gaming and occasional movie watching on PC. But still it has 500 watt RMS power output which is quite decent for a average home theater setup. I have seen very good reviews about this product.

as this product is little old but still I am not able to find good alternative at this price range i.e. ~15k. If somebody can suggest a alternative that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Logitech Z5500 are great speakers...if you attach to the TV and enjoy it, who can deny its an incorrect setup. Quite often I have seen Car Subwoofers being used to replace standard woofers...and it works perfectly. All depends upon your room setup and how you optimize for it.

z-5500 are really good speakers.. and considering them at that price point they are amazing... the other competetor was the edifier s-550 but was retailing around 26 .. now its.. 19k however.. those are analog speakers..

also the thx ceritifation really makes sense ... when proper setup is done...

i have loved my z-5500 and my onkyo 3100 just keep watchin it. getting jealous...

for a room of say 12 x 15 i would say they have enough power to make the movie come to life...

xtreamer > hdmi to tv
xtreamer > optical to z-5500 and dts just makes me get into the movie...

there have been many good reviews for the same.. yes for music it might not be the best but trust me does a good job.. people find the bass boomy.. it can be.. proper placement and bass trap... it can do really well....

if you are considering purely for music.. better go a norge and wharf bookshelf as they will be abvle to deliver lot better quality and soundstage...

but if its for home theatre.. i would say no match for it..

GO FOR IT.... it makes the movies alive.. i havent been able to compare it with onkyo 3300 selling for 24k however m sure with the added advantage of decoding dts -hd and more it will be far better than logi . .condering them to be selling from so many years.. they have been the pioneers..

also grab one if you can.. the amp have been changed in the new one.. and m sure the newer one willnot be able to match the z-5500

I'd say wait for some more time , save more money and go for a good htib with AVR combo. As you are going to need more hdmi inputs .:)

Just like kittu said, save time and buy a good setup. I bought z5500 and sold it in first 3 months. The subwoofer is boomy. Overall audio is not clear. I was really disappointed with the system. It is only good for games. For movies/music, its CRAP. The center speaker is not powerful enuff. Its a multimedia speaker system so dont expect much from it. Moreover you cannot connect your DVD/BD player along with your PC and DTH box. You will always have to change the cables. Save and buy Denon/Onkyo HTiB which is still better than this cuz your are tight in budget.
Good luck.

I have been using z-5500 as one of my home theatre setup for more than 3 yrs. They have been good. Rest is upto your budget etc.

I'm happy with my z5500. I agree its not so good for music but I've added two car tweeters with front speakers and it better for my music requrement also. This is an value for money solution but if you can afford then defiently go for some good AVR and speaker set.

/Alok

how about Z906 (seems like new model)?

even i need this set up.
i heard that HTiB's like s3300 or s3400 are loud.
and i dont want loud output rather i need clear sound...
can i go with this Z5500 or Z906? or its better to go with S3400 as future proof ...

how about Z906 (seems like new model)?

even i need this set up.
i heard that HTiB's like s3300 or s3400 are loud.
and i dont want loud output rather i need clear sound...
can i go with this Z5500 or Z906? or its better to go with S3400 as future proof ...

I recently got a chance to take demo of Z5500 in a friend;s house. I must say the sound was awesome. I auditioned Movies and music both. Dont know why people say its not good for either any of them.

Believe me the sound was powerful enough to shatter your room window, the bass was so powerful. The vocal was nice, crisp and detailed.

If you want to buy Lozitech then go for the replacement model which is Z906, both these models are THX certified, so better sound is gurranted. But mind it, it has only optical inputs no HDMI.

I personally prefer onkyo AVR speakers(3300 or 3400) over this model as Onkyo has plenty of HDMIs and future proof technologies. Above all its an well balanced home theatre with plenty of features which is missing in Lozitech.

I recently got a chance to take demo of Z5500 in a friend;s house. I must say the sound was awesome. I auditioned Movies and music both. Dont know why people say its not good for either any of them.

Believe me the sound was powerful enough to shatter your room window, the bass was so powerful. The vocal was nice, crisp and detailed.

If you want to buy Lozitech then go for the replacement model which is Z906, both these models are THX certified, so better sound is gurranted. But mind it, it has only optical inputs no HDMI.

I personally prefer onkyo AVR speakers(3300 or 3400) over this model as Onkyo has plenty of HDMIs and future proof technologies. Above all its an well balanced home theatre with plenty of features which is missing in Lozitech.

hey samy,

thanks for details..
pls clear other point tooo..
are these HTiB's are loud (not much crystal clear sound)?
my preference is for clearance and not for volume..

Thanks.

z906 is the new model but does uses a degraded amp from the z-5500 and also the sub power has been reduced which has been equalized by increasing the wattage in satellites..

grab a z-5500 soon before they are done.. i dont think z-906 will be able to match them..

z-5500 was made by the engineer to pioneer the pc speaker market.. but these new babies are not in competition in money.. for 399 $

also lcd screen missing from the control pod..

welcome move is now two opticla inputs and one coax besides analog connections..

there is no heatsink besides the sub in the z-906.. my assumption is they are use the amp that generates less heat .. hence uses less power hence inferior audio quality..

Dont buy Z5500 for music. If you already have one then you can replace the satelites with likes of space audio for much better clarity in music.

i am in same boat, however i watch movies only on my htpc which has 5.1 surround system. I mainly use it ONLY for watching movies, can you suggest if i can connect my htpc to onkyo 3400?

my setup is going to be like this

sony bx300/bx400 32" tv (yet to be bought)
htpc with 5.1 surround with 3.5mm x 3 jacks.
i think i have hdmi but i need to read manual.
at present i am using my 7 years old creative 4.1 speakers and i think they are sufficient for my small 10x12 room.

Last edited:
There is no limit on how much you can spend on a HT, Z5500 is a descent system. You may use it for HT setup and it even supports Dolby and DTS decoding I remember.

For watching movies one very important aspect which many people ignore while taking demo is clarity of dialogues.I used to own Z-5500 but for good movie experience it is somewhat lacking.
You can buy some second hand HTIB.
For example, in Delhi new Z-5500 is for 15500 where as around 10 month old Harmon Kardom with 5.1 speakers is available for 16500.

Do not buy Z5500-D if u want clarity in sound, buy z5500-D if u want loudness in sound. I have bought this speakers, hooked-up with my Xonar DX. For music, it's not gud and for movies, it's center channel distorts coz it's center channel is not powerful and not made-up of MDF may be unable to handle at loud volumes hence distorts.

My recommendation is save money and then buy 5 speakers, 1 woofer and an AVR

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back