Full HD Plasma options - budget 60K

arahu

Fellow members,

I am planning to buy a full HD plasma TV. I have been reading a lot on this forum lately. And the more I read, the more confused I become. :sad:

I actually started with a plan to buy LCD/plasma with absolutely no idea about the differences between full HD and HD ready. But now I at least understand the basic difference.

So, here is my new requirement set. (It was very basic when I started) :)

I would prefer a Full HD, planning to buy a blue ray after some time. And hopefully getting an HT soon.(Onkyo 3300).

Screen size has to be more than 42 inches, bigger the better :D

I have read lot of reviews about the Pana V20, LGPK550, Samy C550.
I had pana X20, Samy C450 in my mind earlier.

Please pour in your inputs people.

Cheers

You will not get a FHD panel below 50" and unless you're connected to the company it's you'll have to bump the budget to 65K

I have read not so good reviews about the PK550.

VivekM- Could you please help me with the dealer name/contact where I can check out the PK550. Is it available easily?

Read on if you are specific about FullHF.

When I was hunting for a TV, I read that 50" is the minimum you would need to appreciate a FullHD content. Off course this may not be true as many here are quiet happy with 42" FullHDTVs.

But one thing many here agree(and quiet proven) is that, the added quality in 1080p(FullHD) vs 720p is visible only within a close viewing distance from the TV. THX and SMPTE publish this distance chart. It comes around 5 ~ 6 ft for a 50" TV. i.e. If the 1080p content is viewed beyond 6ft the human eye would not get the difference between a 1080p content and 720p content. Now if you go for a 42" TV, this viewing distance drops again by 2 feet. If you go for a larger 60" you can sit far and still get the glory of 1080p content. So thats the thing you need to consider when you choose screen size.

That said, 50" FullHD options are limited and only two TV comes close to your budget. PK550 and PNC550. Price of Panasonic 42" FullHD comes close to 50" PDPs from LG/Samsung. Both give good VFM.

So when you audition, check the HD content from the distance you intend to view at home. If you are going for Plasma, try to get a home demo if any of your friends have a 2010 plasma. It looks way better in a home rather than a showroom.

And if you viewing distance is like 15 ft and it wont change for another 10 years, there may not be much benefit going for FullHD TV now.

Last edited:
Thanks dotMac.

Currently I have the following options in my mind. Please let me know your thoughts.

Samsung C450, C550
Panasonic X20, A20, V20
LG PK550

I might settle for samsung C450 if this research of mine creates extra confusion :)

Fortunately or unfortunately. we have a minimal confusion situation here with regards to choice :)

Disclaimer:All these are IMHO.

fgfd.jpg

Recently, I have puchased panasonic V20. Even without HD Dish TV services, pictures are coming great (I am using cable connection momentorily; soon I will go TataSky HD Dish services)

Recently, I have puchased panasonic V20. Even without HD Dish TV services, pictures are coming great (I am using cable connection momentorily; soon I will go TataSky HD Dish services)

Sanjeev,

Could you please let us know how much you paid for the V20. I also have my eyes set on this model, only thing stopping me is that it is 42 inches, whereas I can get a 50" LG model for lesser price. :licklips:

Cheers

Read on if you are specific about FullHF.

When I was hunting for a TV, I read that 50" is the minimum you would need to appreciate a FullHD content. Off course this may not be true as many here are quiet happy with 42" FullHDTVs.

But one thing many here agree(and quiet proven) is that, the added quality in 1080p(FullHD) vs 720p is visible only within a close viewing distance from the TV. THX and SMPTE publish this distance chart. It comes around 5 ~ 6 ft for a 50" TV. i.e. If the 1080p content is viewed beyond 6ft the human eye would not get the difference between a 1080p content and 720p content. Now if you go for a 42" TV, this viewing distance drops again by 2 feet. If you go for a larger 60" you can sit far and still get the glory of 1080p content. So thats the thing you need to consider when you choose screen size.

That said, 50" FullHD options are limited and only two TV comes close to your budget. PK550 and PNC550. Price of Panasonic 42" FullHD comes close to 50" PDPs from LG/Samsung. Both give good VFM.

So when you audition, check the HD content from the distance you intend to view at home. If you are going for Plasma, try to get a home demo if any of your friends have a 2010 plasma. It looks way better in a home rather than a showroom.

And if you viewing distance is like 15 ft and it wont change for another 10 years, there may not be much benefit going for FullHD TV now.

What about LG pj350?

I am not sure why people say if the viewing distance is more than 5ft, it doesn't matter if its FullHD or HD ready as it is difficult to make out the diff. I checked out x10 and g10 side by side at a viewing distance of 6ft+ and I could easily make out the difference. I did not do any in depth critical viewing either.

Actually, the sales guy told me g10 was not FullHD without knowing the model but he corrected himself after checking it because I was not convinced. I was able to make out the FullHD model by checking the display, especially the letters.

I am not sure why people say if the viewing distance is more than 5ft, it doesn't matter if its FullHD or HD ready as it is difficult to make out the diff. I checked out x10 and g10 side by side at a viewing distance of 6ft+ and I could easily make out the difference. I did not do any in depth critical viewing either.

Actually, the sales guy told me g10 was not FullHD without knowing the model but he corrected himself after checking it because I was not convinced. I was able to make out the FullHD model by checking the display, especially the letters.

If you are referring to my post, I would like to clarify. 6ft+ you can make out the difference between FullHD and HD ready. But until about 10ft. Not beyond that. Its around 11ft where you should not be able to make the distance between FullHD and HD ready. Have you tried that?

So whats with 6ft you ask?
Well its the distance at which you will perceive the FullHD in full glory. As you move back fast 6ft, the quality will be gradually reducing compared to FullHD at 5ft. You eye stops to detect the intrinsic details that you could see a feet nearer. Beyond 10 ft, your eyes will loose almost all details that a FullHD has added when compared to HD Ready.

Eg: Let us say you are viewing FTV in HD with a model on ramp (just to make it exciting). FullHD stream could be so detailed that you can see the pattern in the iris in the eyes of the model.
As you move back, the iris pattern would gradually fade. If you continue moving back, you may not even see any pattern in iris and further back you would not be able to distinguish between the iris and pupil and way back, you will just see a black dot on the white background.
A HDReady TV may not show the pattern in great detail in first place even when you are within 5ft.

So when you audition, try to check these small patterns and then move back to see whether you loose those details. And if you have a sharp eye, you may be able to see the difference beyond these standards state.

Do let me know in case I need to clarify further.

I paid 63.5 K ; little more than some of the guys. But in the end, happy with picture quality. It is truly amazing.

I paid 63.5 K ; little more than some of the guys. But in the end, happy with picture quality. It is truly amazing.

Sanjeev - did you by any chance compare the V20 with LG PK 550 and Samsung C550?

I have one of my friends working in LG, and can try for some extra discount for the PK550.

Cheers

Sanjeev,

Can u pls tell me from where u bought it for 63.5k (U can also PM me if not comfortable).. I'm also looking at this model but ivegot a quote of 67K so far in Pune

dotMac, I was not referring to you when I said about the FullHD and HDReady confusion. But thanks for clearing it for me. (I did like the FTV example, did get me extra focussed)

Its just that generally people tend to say, FullHD is a waste unless you view it very close. I am very interested in v20 but whenever I visit any shop, they first try to convince me to get myself an LCD. When that fails, they say they don't have stock for v20 and start explaining to me that in Plasma, FullHD and HDReady does not make any difference and that for FullHD is only for playing games at close range (less than 5ft)!

One fella even said, v20 is a phased out model and hence they don't have stock.

@Sanjeev, I think the price you got it was good considering the fact that the lowest anyone got it for was for 60k and also lack of availability!

The distance at which the benefits of 'FULL' HD are visible is relative to the size of the display (TV). Thus simply stating 5 feet or any other particular distance is meaningless and incorrect. In any case even if you can see the difference at 6 feet, I don't think it really matters, for how many people actually watch TV from a distance of only 6 feet. For a 42" TV the fact is that 'FULL' HD is quite irrelevant if watching from 8 - 9 feet, which is the average distance at which the vast majority of people watch TV from.

PS: It is always easier to tell the difference in resolution when watching 'text' material, but it is generally moving pictures that we watch on TV. That is why this whole argument is not applicable ot computer monitors.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back