HD STB for a LCD TV brought from US

bansal98

I recently purchased a Samsung LN55C650 LCD TV here in Bangalore which was originally purchased in US. I connected my local cable provider's STB to it using composite input but the picture is black and white. The sound is ok though. From what I've been able to understand by going through the posts here, this TV only supports NTSC signals. Try as I might, I have not been able to get a full list of input signals supported by this TV. It has all the regular HDMI/Component/Composite inputs.

Question: If I buy something like Tata Sky HD and connect it using HDMI, will it work fine? I am planning to use 720p output mode on the STB. I think if I use 1080i, it will create problems being interlaced at 50Hz. The other solution might be to buy a PAL-NTSC converter but if HDMI STB can solve that, I would like to avoid buying it.

Buy the HD STB. HDMI has no PAL/NTSC problems.

I too was thinking like that but I went through a lot of threads on this forum and got conflicting answers. So just want to make sure. It would be great if you could tell me if you speaking from personal experience.

please check if the tv supports 1080i 50Hz, then ok to use any hd box, if not get dish hd because it support 1080i 60hz( it was mentioned in this forum, please double check still it is)

please check if the tv supports 1080i 50Hz, then ok to use any hd box, if not get dish hd because it support 1080i 60hz( it was mentioned in this forum, please double check still it is)

I don't think it supports 50Hz. There is nothing in the menus and nothing in the manual etc. Have checked a lot on the internet too but could not find any mention of 50Hz.

Any inputs from the previous owner, how he was using it?

Checked with them. They said that they were using Tata Sky HD over component cables, without any converter. I could not check the actual picture quality when I was at their house because their subscription had lapsed. The picture looked fantastic over HDMI from Blu-ray etc though.

They are not able to remember now what settings were used as the service guy only had set it up for them. I just want to make sure from someone who is in a similar situation.

What about 720p? Will that also cause issues of 50/60Hz?

If any of your friend has a DTH HD connection, you can take your TV to their house and cross check. if it works fine, then you can be assured HD DTH will solve your problem.

I have read on some forums that Airtel HD did not work with TVs bought from USA. Though I am not sure whether the signal was 576i or 1080i. They had mentioned some unsupported signal type problem. I would suggest research more on it before buying a HD DTH.

I recently purchased a Samsung LN55C650 LCD TV here in Bangalore which was originally purchased in US. I connected my local cable provider's STB to it using composite input but the picture is black and white. The sound is ok though. From what I've been able to understand by going through the posts here, this TV only supports NTSC signals. Try as I might, I have not been able to get a full list of input signals supported by this TV. It has all the regular HDMI/Component/Composite inputs.

Question: If I buy something like Tata Sky HD and connect it using HDMI, will it work fine? I am planning to use 720p output mode on the STB. I think if I use 1080i, it will create problems being interlaced at 50Hz. The other solution might be to buy a PAL-NTSC converter but if HDMI STB can solve that, I would like to avoid buying it.

Not sure which HD STB would work with NTSC but I had used a PAL/NTSC convertor couple of years back with a CRT TV and it worked flawlessely. However, not sure how the picture quality would be with LCD/LED.

Not sure which HD STB would work with NTSC but I had used a PAL/NTSC convertor couple of years back with a CRT TV and it worked flawlessely. However, not sure how the picture quality would be with LCD/LED.

Can you suggest a good converter which would be available here in India? Thanks!!

if the earlier owner used tatasky hd with your tv, then it maynot be a ntsc only afterall, why dont you check with samsung

i dont see any 60hz option in my ts hd box,

i am using component out in ts hd,my dvdo reports the signal input as 1080i 50hz or 720p 50hz if i change to 720p in ts hd box, there is no 60hz option.

i am using component out in ts hd,my dvdo reports the signal input as 1080i 50hz or 720p 50hz if i change to 720p in ts hd box, there is no 60hz option.

This is a bit strange!

The problem is that I can not test it on my TV before buying it. I called up customer care and they told me that they'll bring it and install it only after I have paid the full amount.

try to get any 1080i 50hz material to test, if you can contact someone with hd dvr(ts hd plus/or other dth) then you can take the box and test it. or get some other way to get 1080i50hz content

try to get any 1080i 50hz material to test, if you can contact someone with hd dvr(ts hd plus/or other dth) then you can take the box and test it. or get some other way to get 1080i50hz content

Let me see if i can get some samples from the internet. From what I have found so far, Videocon D2h and Dish TV HD have the option of 60Hz output. Can anybody please confirm it?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back