HD Video Resolution and Screen Size.

deba

Dear All,

Is there any difference in video quality from HD Video (Blu Ray and HD Camcorders) and Standard DVD when played in a standard small screen television (say 21 inch / 14 inch).

I have noticed many a times that my DVDs render very sharp images in standard television but blurs when played through my dlp projector.

Kindly discuss.

Thanks.

hi Deba,
yes the difference is quite signifianct even on my 17 " desktop monitor. The best thing to try for yourself go to youtube pick any hd video and lok yourself the HD verson and the SD version of the same video and you will know. It allows you to choose 3 to 4 different resolution.
Thanks.

hi Deba,
yes the difference is quite signifianct even on my 17 " desktop monitor. The best thing to try for yourself go to youtube pick any hd video and lok yourself the HD verson and the SD version of the same video and you will know. It allows you to choose 3 to 4 different resolution.
Thanks.

The difference is significant beacuse your 17" monitor is capable of
showing higher resolutions (minimum 1024 x 768).

But he is asking if the results will be different in a 14"/21" standard Tv (not the flat panel ones)

Aha I see. How one can input HD video signal into a good old SD TV. They don't have neither HDMI nor component. Some europen model has scart not sure if they can transmit HD signal. The only option is to take a composite out from a media player like wdtv and attach it to a SD tv but the signal won't be HD.
Thanks.

I think you can connect a Blue-ray player to a CRT tv.
I've seen Sony Blue-ray players with composite-video and component output,
which means you can connect, but as you said the signals wont be HD quality.

Regarding video quality of the same movie from a DVD source and HD source,
i guess both will be the same in the CRT tv, beacuse the output from the composite-video of the blue ray player must be a downsampled one.

Last edited:
Dear All,

Is there any difference in video quality from HD Video (Blu Ray and HD Camcorders) and Standard DVD when played in a standard small screen television (say 21 inch / 14 inch).

I have noticed many a times that my DVDs render very sharp images in standard television but blurs when played through my dlp projector.

Kindly discuss.

Thanks.
It will not be fair to compare a CRT with a DLP projector. A projector will always have lesser brightness, sharpness and contrast ratio.

The smaller the (CRT) TV, the better the picture will look.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back