Help in buying a silent split Ac

Good choice. Mine is standing up pretty well, cooling even if now the outside temperature is 45. A bit noisy at full fan speed though, acceptable at lower speeds.
Yeah I just don’t want to end up getting a bad product to save money

Gas leakage and repairs regularly. I also don’t prefer these Korean brands LG, Samsung. Both very poor when it comes to reliability.
Oh okay. We have a couple of Voltas in Vizag where the climate is similar to Chennai. Touch wood they are holding quite well. No corrosion on body and very good cooling. Noise was a secondary requirement, luckily they are quite silent too. What's the point of being silent if the ac doesn't cool .

MaSh

Oh okay. We have a couple of Voltas in Vizag where the climate is similar to Chennai. Touch wood they are holding quite well. No corrosion on body and very good cooling. Noise was a secondary requirement, luckily they are quite silent too. What's the point of being silent if the ac doesn't cool .

MaSh
Hahaha yeah and there are lot of good ac’s if noise rating is not a major concern at very less cost compared to Mitsubishi.Voltas is good I purchased one 10 years back and it’s still running at my moms place. My case I am very much concerned about noise rating as I am sitting directly below and don’t want the ac noise to add atmos effects

Hahaha yeah and there are lot of good ac’s if noise rating is not a major concern at very less cost compared to Mitsubishi.Voltas is good I purchased one 10 years back and it’s still running at my moms place. My case I am very much concerned about noise rating as I am sitting directly below and don’t want the ac noise to add atmos effects
Have you considered using ducts?

MaSh

Hi Navin, Mitsubishi may be expensive & ducting may not be free. But you will be paying for a quality product which should give you years of good service.

Duct is centralised right? Don’t think it will be suitable in my small flat
Hmm, there are various configurations. You can pull a Duct into the room you need AC in with the machine somewhere outside. I remember a few years ago we had done a similar thing with a Cooler. A massive desert cooler was installed on the terrace about 3 stories high and a Duct was brought down to cool the Living room. It used to chill the entire flat and was super silent. The water connection was from the water tank directly with a float. The setup is still in use and works great.

MaSh

Hmm, there are various configurations. You can pull a Duct into the room you need AC in with the machine somewhere outside. I remember a few years ago we had done a similar thing with a Cooler. A massive desert cooler was installed on the terrace about 3 stories high and a Duct was brought down to cool the Living room. It used to chill the entire flat and was super silent. The water connection was from the water tank directly with a float. The setup is still in use and works great.

MaSh
Ok sounds like lot of work and expense. I think i will settle for a 1 ton split Ac for now

So I spoke with mitsibushi heavy dealers in Chennai. My experience interacting with them is very bad. They are giving wrong information and trying to clear their stocks. After doing some research on few models I finalised one good model and asked them. Their response was we will suggest u a better model and forcing their opinions and sharing lower models.But I didn’t show interest and was particularly asking for the model I researched and finally they are saying no stock. Same experience with mitsibushi electric as well. Giving wrong information and trying to sell their lower models when I am asking about higher models. Very sad and doesn’t give me the confidence. Since I have time to make the purchase I would like to check other brands as well. My fiends suggested bluestar and would like to know if it’s good? Bluestar is currently giving flat 30-35% discount vs the 11% discount by mitsibushi

So I spoke with mitsibushi heavy dealers in Chennai. My experience interacting with them is very bad. They are giving wrong information and trying to clear their stocks. After doing some research on few models I finalised one good model and asked them. Their response was we will suggest u a better model and forcing their opinions and sharing lower models.But I didn’t show interest and was particularly asking for the model I researched and finally they are saying no stock. Same experience with mitsibushi electric as well. Giving wrong information and trying to sell their lower models when I am asking about higher models. Very sad and doesn’t give me the confidence. Since I have time to make the purchase I would like to check other brands as well. My fiends suggested bluestar and would like to know if it’s good? Bluestar is currently giving flat 30-35% discount vs the 11% discount by mitsibushi

Well then that's sad. In Mumbai their dealers are really professional and very helpful. Try the number I had given you but it's for Mitsubishi Electric.

So I spoke with mitsibushi heavy dealers in Chennai. My experience interacting with them is very bad. They are giving wrong information and trying to clear their stocks. After doing some research on few models I finalised one good model and asked them.
Did you try talking to Ratna Fan house?

Yeah planning to but they have only electric and not heavy
Is there a good presence for Carrier in Chennai? Their Acs are robust & very underrated in India. They even have Smart acs if you need those features. I bought my Carrier Smart AC from flipkart & got an amazing deal on it. Have a look on flipkart too..

Cheers.

Is there a good presence for Carrier in Chennai? Their Acs are robust & very underrated in India. They even have Smart acs if you need those features. I bought my Carrier Smart AC from flipkart & got an amazing deal on it. Have a look on flipkart too..

Cheers.
Yeah sure. The main reason i am looking at mitsubushi is their noise level is rated at 19db.

In the past 10 years I have bought 12 split ac for my installed capacity of 7 ACs. I have used General (imported models), General (Indian), Daikin, Hitachi & MItsubishi Electric.
My Daikin failed after 1st year and has to be repaired for gas leakage. After 2nd gas leakage , coil of the indoor unit had to be changed and while removing from wall, it's plastic body cracked. It was a hot and cold unit and my dealer suggested the reason for cracking of plastic due to its inability to handle both hot and cold temperatures. So within 2 years my 42k down the drain. So with my experience I believe that Daikin India is using substandard parts.
One of my General (Indian) model which is hot and cold is working fine for the past three years. Though it's used at my office which means that only 5 days a week for only 8 hours. And I don't use it's heating feature as it results in suffocating dry air.
Another of my hot and cold General (Indian) model also has to be junked after 1.5 years due to gas leakages and it's coil too had to be changed. That was a 65k buy.
My residence is in an area prone to gas leakages so now I huy cheap ACs or with long warranty.
I bought three Hitachi ac under TOEFL scheme with comprehensive three year warranty and Hitachi really came good. On of the ac had to be repaired after gas leakage and after another leakage in the same ac it's indoor coil was promptly changed under warranty. Hitachi service is very quick.
Now I am planning to replace my Daikin under the scheme from TPDDL with either a simialt Hitachi or a Voltas(with 5 years comprehensive warranty).
As for Mitsubishi it is a non-inverter model and only in its 1st year. It's blower is noisy at top two speeds. Otherwise it's silent and working fine.
FYI Blue Star is manufactured at my place.
Hitachi is manufactured at Ahmedabad, 3 hours from my place.
It's just bad luck that you had problems with your units which are Indian made.
I have had problems with several electronics and gadgets manufactured outside India, cant really blame them.

The best AC is with the lowest star rating .
Reason - The fins are too close and optimised in the latest AC and higher star catageory and those micro gaps accumulate a lot of dust which makes it too hard to service them . The indoor has to be completely disassembled and water washed under pressure to clean the fins . If not done , then the AC does not cool properly and leads to frosting . Micro gap fins are a no for a hot , humid and dusty country like ours .

Invertors are a no -no . Board failures and costly repairs . Unless you get an extended warranty do not even touch them .
1 ton is a generic term .. Check the power consumption for the AC which you choose . Since you are in Chennai check for an AC which has a tropical compressor which can cool with outside temperatures of 45C .

Buying the cheapest AC of the lot is the best . Always buy a little higher capacity to cool faster and for the outdoor unit to have more time to restart thereby saving a bit of electricity .

The best AC for me is the cheapest that I have which is a Camipro and it is virtually maintenance free . I have not even serviced the indoor for over 3 years and there is no dust accumulation in the indoor unit and it works the way it is supposed to . There are many HVAC dealers who have the Camipro and the pricing is excellent . Showrooms do not sell Camipro AC only industrial HVAC dealers do . Camipro is supposed to be Carrier low end . You can try these guys from whom I bought http://www.rishabhenterprises.in/
Have no connection or affiliation with them . My extended family and friends have bought the Camipro 1 ton and 1.5 ton and we have no issues what so ever . The 1 ton costs about 20k and 1.5 ton cost us about 24 k . Probably they are costlier by a few thousands now .

ps- The indoor is very silent

Last edited:
The best AC is with the lowest star rating .
Reason - The fins are too close and optimised in the latest AC and higher star catageory and those micro gaps accumulate a lot of dust which makes it too hard to service them . The indoor has to be completely disassembled and water washed under pressure to clean the fins . If not done , then the AC does not cool properly and leads to frosting . Micro gap fins are a no for a hot , humid and dusty country like ours .

Invertors are a no -no . Board failures and costly repairs . Unless you get an extended warranty do not even touch them .
1 ton is a generic term .. Check the power consumption for the AC which you choose . Since you are in Chennai check for an AC which has a tropical compressor which can cool with outside temperatures of 45C .

Buying the cheapest AC of the lot is the best . Always buy a little higher capacity to cool faster and for the outdoor unit to have more time to restart thereby saving a bit of electricity .

The best AC for me is the cheapest that I have which is a Camipro and it is virtually maintenance free . I have not even serviced the indoor for over 3 years and there is no dust accumulation in the indoor unit and it works the way it is supposed to . There are many HVAC dealers who have the Camipro and the pricing is excellent . Showrooms do not sell Camipro AC only industrial HVAC dealers do . Camipro is supposed to be Carrier low end . You can try these guys from whom I bought http://www.rishabhenterprises.in/
Have no connection or affiliation with them . My extended family and friends have bought the Camipro 1 ton and 1.5 ton and we have no issues what so ever . The 1 ton costs about 20k and 1.5 ton cost us about 24 k . Probably they are costlier by a few thousands now .

ps- The indoor is very silent
Ok 20k is dam cheap but haven’t this brand. I will check it out thanks

Well thanks again for all the suggestions. I went ahead with the mitsibushi electric Gr series. It’s a 5 star inverter model. Purchase experience wasn’t nice as both the electric and heavy dealers were very adamant with giving discounts. Conversation with electric dealers where some what ok but with heavy it was pathetic. Discounts heavy gave was only 10-11% and when I asked why so less and the dealer response was it’s a premium brand. Pissed me off. Electric gave 20% discount straight away but we’re not interested to negotiate any further. Other brands are giving flat 30-35% off with no bargains. End of the day what made me buy the Mitsubishi was the 19db indoor unit noise rating. If any one needs help in finalising an AC do let me know. Lol I was researching so much on various brands and models for nearly a month

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back