Help me to choose AVR - Onkyo 838 OR Marantz 6009 OR Pioneer LX58

KBS

Hello All,

I am looking for an AVR upgrade. I've shortlisted following.

A) Onkyo 838 - 7.2 Ch
* HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
* THX Select 2 Plus
* WiFi and Bluetooth Built-in
* Dual 32 Bit DSP Engine
* Dolby Atmos
* 130 W (8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
* Weight 15.5 kgs

B) Marantz 6009 - 7.2 Ch
* HDMI 2.0 but No HDCP 2.2
* 110 W (8 ohms, 20-20 kHz) at 0.08% THD, 2 channels driven)
* Audyssey Gold
* WiFi and Bluetooth Built-in
* Apple AirPlay
* Weight 11.38 kgs

C) Pioneer LX 58 - 9.2 ch
* Dolby Atmos
* 240 W (1 khz, 4 Ohms, 1% THD)
* Apple AirPlay
* 15.3 kg

* Rest of the features and price tag are more or less same.

* If I upgrade to Onkyo 838 from 606, will it make day and night difference?
OR is only a more power with almost similar sound signature.?

Please suggest which one to consider.

Thanks in advance

KBS

Hello KBS,

Am using a marantz sr6008. The audio output is great but when compared to Onkyo 838 it has the latest audio technology Dolby Atmos. I haven't had a chance to experience it but as always latest is good and also it has a THX plus. so u will have a full cinematic experience.

I am not a pro but this is as per my research and oservation

Hello KBS,

Am using a marantz sr6008. The audio output is great but when compared to Onkyo 838 it has the latest audio technology Dolby Atmos. I haven't had a chance to experience it but as always latest is good and also it has a THX plus. so u will have a full cinematic experience.

I am not a pro but this is as per my research and oservation
Thanks.
But I see an aversion to Onkyo in the forum. And lot of appreciation to Marantz. I am not pro.
Will Onkyo 838 being latest and mid- high end compensate?
Someone please pitch in and make me understand and help

If movie is the priority,then Pioneer is good choice.Some are complaining about their after sale service,but sound wise very good for movies and good in music.
Marantz are better with music and good with movies.Just try listening them and decide.

If movie is the priority,then Pioneer is good choice.Some are complaining about their after sale service,but sound wise very good for movies and good in music.
Marantz are better with music and good with movies.Just try listening them and decide.
Thanks
It's difficult to get audition with same speakers and environment for all shortlisted AVRs. So I am banking on expert opinion.
Please help.

Also Onkyo 838 doesn't support HEVC.
AFAIK it's one of the requirement along with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 for watching commercial 4k content.
So mere HDCP 2.2 don't make it future proof, I believe.
Now I request all experts to help me to choose right AVR.

Somehow, not getting enough replies.
Is this a wrong place?
Do I need to submit under. "What Should I Buy" or some other sub - forums.

I am using a 6009 as well. Highly satisfied. Replaced a Denon 2310 and to me it sounds significantly better. Even the Audyssey which was not so good in the denon has done a great job in my room. Speakers are paradigm studio v3 series and sub is svs sb12.
Cheers,
Sid

I am leaning towards Marantz 6009. But absence of HDCP 2.2 making me worried.

I do not have a 4k tv or projector, so not really concerned right now. However I guess for somone planning to get one it may be an issue.
Cheers,
Sid

I have 4k TV, that's the root cause for worry about HDCP 2.2 now. ?

I am not really sure how the hdcp 2.2 protocol works, but if you cannot test it out prior to buying i.e; making sure there is hand shake between rcvr. and display, better not buy this receiver and buy one that has it.
Cheers,
Sid

I am not really sure how the hdcp 2.2 protocol works, but if you cannot test it out prior to buying i.e; making sure there is hand shake between rcvr. and display, better not buy this receiver and buy one that has it.
Cheers,
Sid
Sorry. I didn't get you.
Which one I shouldn't buy? Which one should I go for. ?

Sorry. I didn't get you.
Which one I shouldn't buy? Which one should I go for. ?
These were your original options. Since you are concerned about hdcp2.2 go for the first one is what I meant.

A) Onkyo 838 - 7.2 Ch
* HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
B) Marantz 6009 - 7.2 Ch

Cheers,
Sid

These were your original options. Since you are concerned about hdcp2.2 go for the first one is what I meant.

A) Onkyo 838 - 7.2 Ch
* HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
B) Marantz 6009 - 7.2 Ch

Cheers,
Sid
Thanks.
Should I have to compromise with sound quality, if I choose onkyo 838 over Marantz 6009 ? OR both are same?
Somehow, I see an aversion to Onkyo in the forum.
Also, I am the victim of Onkyo HDMI issues.
This is making decisions harder. ?

Should I have to compromise with sound quality, if I choose onkyo 838 over Marantz 6009 ? OR both are same?

Sorry I have not heard the Onkyo so cannot comment. Perhaps if some other FM's have done this comparison they can chime in.
Cheers,
Sid

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back