Help need to build my first home theater

arindams2

I want to build my first home theatrt (5.1) slowly. Current budget is 1.3 lakh. Room size is very small (diagram attached) so decided to go with bookshelves.
Researched a bit and planned to go with SVS PB-1000 sub and Denon x1100w receiver. However if the 4k upscaling feature is really great then I want receiver with that feature.
Now, the tougher part: What speakers should I buy? At first I thought to go with Pioneer AJs but since they are rear-ported , I dont have space for them.
So, I made a list of speakers that are available here in Kolkata:
Polk Rti A1
Polk Rti A3
Polk Tsx 220B
Kef Q300
Kef Q100
Wharfedale Diamond 220
Dali Zensor 1,3
Q Acoustics
Monitor Audio
B&W 685 S2 - out of my budget
Tannoy
Infinity Primus
NHT Superzero
After choosing the perfect front bookshelves then Ill buy the matching center and later the surrounds. Help me decide from these and give your suggestions if I am doing anything wrong.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 155
You need to go audition the speakers first to see what works for you before suggestions can be made. If you only want to purchase based on suggestions then go to any HIFI website and pick from their recommended list.

Last edited:
All I can suggest about is the position of your sofa. Please locate it such that your surround speakers are either by the side and at ear level of your seating position.
I personally prefer surrounds to be at 45 degree angle horizontally from both my ear and back of my head. By that I get wide spread imaging.
So, if you can and like, move your sofa away from your back wall by at least 1.5 feet.

All I can suggest about is the position of your sofa. Please locate it such that your surround speakers are either by the side and at ear level of your seating position.
I personally prefer surrounds to be at 45 degree angle horizontally from both my ear and back of my head. By that I get wide spread imaging.
So, if you can and like, move your sofa away from your back wall by at least 1.5 feet.

Thanks for the suggestions

You need to go audition the speakers first to see what works for you before suggestions can be made. If you only want to purchase based on suggestions then go to any HIFI website and pick from their recommended list.

Since I can't audition them, can you compare them and pick the best 1 for me

What works for me could be completely different from what you looking for.
Having said that looking at the size of the space available I would stick to a 2.1 system for both music and movies. All you need is a pair of good floor standers. Centre and surrounds can be added later.
I would look at the Polk RTI A9/A7, Tannoy Mercury V4i, Wharfdales Diamonds 10.4/105 and maybe the KEF Q500 to start with.

What works for me could be completely different from what you looking for.
Having said that looking at the size of the space available I would stick to a 2.1 system for both music and movies. All you need is a pair of good floor standers. Centre and surrounds can be added later.
I would look at the Polk RTI A9/A7, Tannoy Mercury V4i, Wharfdales Diamonds 10.4/105 and maybe the KEF Q500 to start with.

But the room is quite small for floorstanders. I heard that we need large space for them and the listening distance should be more than 10 ft.

A pair of good floor standers in a small room will give you an immersive experience . Floor standards are the anchors of any system and as long as you have them sorted everything else is purely supplementary.
Yes they require space to fully open up but that does not mean they will not work in a smaller room. Play around with the volume for optimal quality.
What I am trying to say is you dont NEED a 5.1 set up in the space you have. But if you WANT one then go right ahead.

I think your TV will leave hardly 1 foot space on either side of it for the bare wall where you can put your speakers or in front of it. Plus, you can not bring speakers away from your TV wall for limitation of walk space for entry/exit. If so, then you are already bound to utilize small speaker choices.

To have proper imaging, I experienced, speakers away from side and front walls (by two to one feet each side) work best. You can not do that unless your speakers do not obstruct TV and at the same time are still at your ear level (seems impractical).
The best solution to me is to have-
1) (Acceptable to you) AVR with speaker control (for delay, SPL and low pass)
2) (Acceptable to you) book shelf speakers put on a cabinet that holds the AVR and is wider than the TV. This will help avoid trip hazard for FS or BS with stand on the walk way.
3) A center and two surrounding speakers for the rest of the money (they are less important to be of very good quality) if you can control your AVR knowing limitation of your system.

Please remember human needs 6 mili second time lag to differentiate between sound. So, a good AVR measuring your set up can accordingly feed speakers. I still doubt how much a center speaker can bring value but if you see movie encoded for center speaker, you need to have one anyway.

That's all I can suggest from my 1 paisa experience and 1 paisa knowledge.

I assumed you have good sources and players for songs and movies.

The best solution to me is to have-
1) (Acceptable to you) AVR with speaker control (for delay, SPL and low pass)
2) (Acceptable to you) book shelf speakers put on a cabinet that holds the AVR and is wider than the TV. This will help avoid trip hazard for FS or BS with stand on the walk way.
3) A center and two surrounding speakers for the rest of the money (they are less important to be of very good quality) if you can control your AVR knowing limitation of your system.
I assumed you have good sources and players for songs and movies.

1) avr with speaker control. what's that? Does Denon x-1100w have that feature?
2)I'll put speaker on brackets. What do you have to say about that? Or should I buy BOSE / other HTIB?
3) My main source is my laptop(bluray rips, flac, mp3) and Videocon D2H HD

Can you re-orient your viewing position something like this? (see attached image)
This position gives you the opportunity placing your speakers well apart irrespective of BS or FS.uploadfromtaptalk1431417196568.jpg

With this position your surround speakers can also be placed well for a immersive experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you re-orient your viewing position something like this? (see attached image)
This position gives you the opportunity placing your speakers well apart irrespective of BS or FS.View attachment 18084

With this position your surround speakers can also be placed well for a immersive experience.

Thanks for the suggestion, but could not apply it.
Actually there's a large window where you asked me place the TV and also can't remove the bed from my room.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back