Help needed for setting a stereo system (music only)

Hi Spycatcher,
I have only questions!
How do you compare your system with the other combinations that I mentioned? How did you arrive at your system? Did you have auditions of other combinations? What type of music you listen to? Are you at Bangalor? If so can I come to your place for an audition?
This might help me in arriving at my dream system.

Thanks
Sethukumar

Hi Spycather,

I missed to notice your signature and forget about coming to your place (I love to) for an audition since I don't see any chance in the near future.

Thanks
Sethukumar

Hi Spycatcher,
I have only questions!
How do you compare your system with the other combinations that I mentioned? How did you arrive at your system? Did you have auditions of other combinations? What type of music you listen to? Are you at Bangalor? If so can I come to your place for an audition?
This might help me in arriving at my dream system.

Thanks
Sethukumar

Hi Sethu, I will be more than willing to answer any amount of questions you many have! So here goes....

1. How do you compare your system with the other combinations that I mentioned? How did you arrive at your system? Did you have auditions of other combinations?

I am based out of Delhi and trust me it is extremely difficult to audition systems based on one's preference as most dealers here don't stock all the products. SO it was an extremely difficult piece meal, step by step process over a period of 6-7 months. Basically I was doing it blindfolded! I based my decision on the following pricipals:

a) First and foremost I had a budget in mind (didnt want to cross 75-80K)
b) Second most important consideration was the kind of music I listen to and what kind of sound I like .. which is mostly jazz, blues, classic rock like eagles, led zepp, etc. I also like a smooth, sophisticated sound rather than "loud" thumps in my music. I also love vocal clarity.
c) Since I didnt have ready access to lots of different products in Delhi I started with doing extensive research on the web, magazines, dealer visits (whichever was avaliable) & talking to experienced people on the forums across the world.
d) I first zeroed in on the speakers which I feel are the most important component of any hi-fi system. As I have a smallish room size (12X14ft) I wanted floorstanders that would work well in this size room as well as in bigger rooms (say 15X20 ft) as well. Chose BR 5 (as compared to KEF IQ5, Boston VR1/2, Wharfdale 9.5, etc)
e) I ordered MA BR5 from Chennai (The Audio People). Based on reviews, cost factor AND comaptibility with MA BR5's, I zeroed in on the Marantz PM 7001 KI Signature Edition as I felt it fell in my budget as well as gave me a lot of flexibility in terms of inputs, phono stage, ease of use, etc. Compared to other systems I feel Marantz suits Monitor Audio speakers better. Arcam, Rotels, etc are all over priced in India.
f) Along with the amp the source is equally important. Since I bought my amp from Singapore the dealer there gave me a good offer on the brand new CD 6002 which also has got good reviews all over. ALso since it is so easy to use 2 good quality products from the same manufacturer I picked up the 6002 as well. It plays great CDs as well as MP3s and WMAs. (Pure audiophiles will hate this feature buts it practical)

Look its extremely difficult to go with only reviews. It has to be a combination of reviews, professional advice from forums, auditions and GUT feel!!

You are lucky to be in Bangalore where to my mind there are several dealers and pros who can offer you a good advice. I am unfortunately based out of Delhi - however, if ever you are here you are most welcome to see my set up. (of which I am really proud of as the sound is super)

All the best!

Speakers: MA BR5
Amp: Marantz PM 7001 KI
CDP: Marantz PM CD 6002
Interconnect: Monster 400 Mk II

Last edited:
Thanks Spycatcher,

Yes, I agree with you. We cannot rely only on reviews. To me reviews should provide only the input to me for narrowing down to the different products. Then auditioning is the next step along with the advices from experts who have already progressed much in hi-fi.
Me too listen to soft kinda music including pop,blues,country, carnatic vocals, instrumntal, gazals etc. I hate heavy metal/hard rock kind of music.
So I too might move in this direction.

Thanks
Sethukumar

Hi,

Last weeked I auditioned the Marantz PM 7001 integrated and a refernce series integrated from Marantz (forgot to note the model number). The speakers were Jamo C803 bookshelves and C607 3 way floor standers. I felt the 3 way FS better for alltypes of music. But compared to MA RS8/RS6 this is far behind. I don't want Jamo speakers for me!
Then at another place I auditioned the B&W 601 bookshelves but there is nothing impressive about it. For most of the music that i listen to it gave a more or less good listening experence. The guy in the shop turned my attention to some Klipsch Refernce series (RF-52, 100W and RF-62 , 125W).These speakers are more on the treble side and I didn't like it much. Still I prefer the MA genere.

I found the Marantz PM 7001 integrated good. But I wouldlike to audition it with some other speakers. Is there somebody at Bangalore with Marantz integrated with any other speakers?

Thanks
Sethukumar

Hi Nandakumar,
Can I come to your place at Bangalore and have an audition of your system if you don't mind? My contact no. is 9980012150.

Thanks
Sethukumar

Hi setu,
The marantz Pm 7001 is a decent amp and should be nice with the MA BR 6. The reference amp u mention could be 7SI/11SI/15SI and they are in a different league though would not be my preference at that price point. Stick with MA u wont be disappointed.
The B&W 601 is an old/discontinued bookshelf in a much lower price range so unfair to compare with the RS 6 more apt to compare to say a BR2. My only concern with the marantz in question is a lack of drive which will be exposed with demanding speakers otherwise its a decent amp at that price. Why not stick the MA with Nad C352 and be happy!!!! My opinion.The Rotel RA-6 is good too but its pricing is too high(50K plus) so not in the reckoning. I am now totally aware of pricing as i am replacing my rotel Pre/Power for something better.
Regards.

Hi Dinyaar,
Well said! Now after doing some auditions and analysing the bang for the buck factor I'm leaning towards the MA RS6 and NAD 355BEE (the latest version of C352) combination. My idea is to have an audition of RS6 (my impressions of RS6 is based on my audition of RS8 here at Bangalore0 at Chennai and decide on that. Then take the speakers to both the NAD and
aarantz dealers to have the audition of these two. Since 355BEE is 80W @ 8ohms, it should give more RMS to MA speakers rated at 6ohms which I guess is fair enough.
One more combination I want to audition is Rotel Diva 70 integrated with CD7.

Rotels anyway I don't want to consider anymore due to huge pricing in India.
Then come to the choice on CDP. I'm thinking to have the Cambridge Audio 740C CDP to be paired with the NAD 355BEE integrated.
But here I have to audition the following 3 CDPs
1. Marantz 6002
2. Arcam CD73

Any suggestion/opinions will be duely appreciated!

Thanks
Sethukumar

Hi Sethukumar ,

You can audition MA with NAD at ARN Systems at Bangalore. They can arrange the demo at the Hitachi Gallery at Cox Town. I am not sure if they have the NAD 355BEE, but they surely had a C372.

Call them up at 4123 4644.

Thanks,
Sharad

sethunr said

Me too listen to soft kinda music including pop,blues,country, carnatic vocals, instrumntal, gazals etc. I hate heavy metal/hard rock kind of music.

Hi
I suggest you check these guys out. http://www.audire.in

For this kind of music they are very good.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi again Setu,
I guess u mean the arcam A70 not rotel diva 70!The new nad C355 has not reached lakozy in mumbai so not available at any of his dealers. Buy the 352 as u will get deals and pay say about 25K max. The arcam and Nad 372 would be double that amount. Have not heard the new 355 yet but 352 is great value for money. MA RS 6 with the amp would be ok. The 372 being more powerful(150 WPC) will allow u to move to other /bigger/demanding speakers without an amp change but if thats not really on then 352 is better / cleaner sounding. Having said that i cant think of any Brand selling a 150wpc integrated at the price of the 372 so its great value too.
The cdp is really tricky as it can really make an impact on the over all sound. Have heard all the cdp s upto a lakh as i just bought one. My opinion is to stick to a marantz cdp over a Nad, CA or denon. Here in mumbai u can buy the SA 7001(not the K I player) cdp for 35K officially. I feel its in a different class as compared to the CD 6002 in every aspect and the difference in price is about 10K which is really worth it. I feel the player would not be out of place even in a much better set up. The arcam will give u more bass weight and i personally feel will not give u the right balance in the Nad/Ma set up. If u cant get a dealer in bglore contact me and i will give u the details in mumbai and u can organise the rest.
Regards

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have settled finally on my dedicated music only system.

1. CDP - Marantz SA 7001
2. integrated amp - NAD C352
3. speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RS6
4. Rhapsody interconnects.

I was in Chennai few weeks back at Audio People. Spent one whole day there trying different combinations of Marantz amps, CDPs and speakers and finally settled on these.
Compared to other CDPs of Marantz , the SA 7001 is makedly different and having a sound impact!

Regards
Sethukumar

Hi Mr setukumar,
So now that u have finalised ur set up let me start confusing u all over again. Just kidding nice set up u have listed above. Just one question is the choice of Rhapsody interconnects. Do u mean the STRAIGHT WIRE rhapsody S IC?
I was in NY in dec 07 and my friends there kept raving about STRAIGHT WIRE products . They felt they were better than ics and speaker cables costing twice the amount and they were using rhapsody and maestro. I have tried to get a pair if ICS to try but no luck. Please share the reason u chose this IC and what other IC s could u compare these to.
Regards

Hi,

I bought the RS6 from Audio People about 3 months ago, and am looking for a suitable CDP. Can you pm me your SA7001 price, if from audio people?

Thanks, PbR

hi dinyaar,
Yes it is the same STRAIGHT WIRE rhapsody S IC.
Actually i didn't compare it with any other interconnects as such. Overall i liked the presentation of the types of music that i listened to in this configuration and went for it. There were some other interconects available there as you mentioned like Meastro etc. Meastro is lesser priced compared to Rhapsody. I paid around Rs.22k for a pair of speaker interconncts and rca pair.

PbR, I had an audition of Marantz CD5000, CD6002, SA7001 of these 3 i liked the SA7001. The 6002 model plays MP3, WMA etc but the musicality is not there as compare to the SA7001. The retail price at Audio people is around Rs.49k and I got it for around Rs.43k.

Regards
Sethukumar

PbR, I had an audition of Marantz CD5000, CD6002, SA7001 of these 3 i liked the SA7001. The 6002 model plays MP3, WMA etc but the musicality is not there as compare to the SA7001. The retail price at Audio people is around Rs.49k and I got it for around Rs.43k.

Regards
Sethukumar

Thanks, will chk with audio people; do they give the std 3 yrs marantz warranty?
PbR

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back