Help with AVR upgrade

Love4sound

Dear FM's

I am in a huge dilemma to sell my 2400 and get the 4500.Certain factors are confusing me thinking if this is really required for my room. Please refer the rough diagram of my bedroom where i have set up my 5.1.2. Its a 11*11 room with the height of the ceiling from the ground measuring to 9.5 foot. The reason for upgrade is for 4 ceiling speakers configuration.I sit in my bed with the surround left and back speakers just few inches behind my ears which is at the back wall of the room. So if i place the TRL and TRR from the diagram you can see it will be exactly above my head and just few inches further from the surround left and right and with the TML and TMR being just few inches further from the LCR. With the ceiling speakers so close to the main speakers i doubt the separations wont be much felt and at its best. I need your opinion on this. Is 5.2.4 a bad choice for my room. Also the rating is Power Output of 165 W (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive). Dali zensor 3 power rating is 30-125 watts. So if i run the avr in stereo mode will it not affect the speaker? with 5 channel or more driven i can assume all speakers wont get power of 50-70 watts. Does marantz 6013 makes more sense?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-06-19 at 1.02.59 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-06-19 at 1.02.59 PM.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 67
I need your opinion on this. Is 5.2.4 a bad choice for my room
Definitely it is over kill for 4 ceiling speakers for the room dimension u mentioned .
Its your call .You cant feel the separation IMHO

So if i run the avr in stereo mode will it not affect the speaker?

NO * " Trust you are not driving the amplifier at clipping level " at stereo mode ? ,only 2 speakers will be active so it is safe only( pure stereo - Direct mode kind of )

Does marantz 6013 makes more sense?
Wont be much difference between Marantz 6013 Vs Denon X4500H _ power spec wise Denon is better than Marantz here
165 watts Vs 150 watts

with 5 channel or more driven i can assume all speakers wont get power of 50-70 watts. Does marantz 6013 makes more sense?

There are some bench test results available may be you can google it

atb

Dear FM's

I am in a huge dilemma to sell my 2400 and get the 4500.Certain factors are confusing me thinking if this is really required for my room. Please refer the rough diagram of my bedroom where i have set up my 5.1.2. Its a 11*11 room with the height of the ceiling from the ground measuring to 9.5 foot. The reason for upgrade is for 4 ceiling speakers configuration.I sit in my bed with the surround left and back speakers just few inches behind my ears which is at the back wall of the room. So if i place the TRL and TRR from the diagram you can see it will be exactly above my head and just few inches further from the surround left and right and with the TML and TMR being just few inches further from the LCR. With the ceiling speakers so close to the main speakers i doubt the separations wont be much felt and at its best. I need your opinion on this. Is 5.2.4 a bad choice for my room. Also the rating is Power Output of 165 W (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive). Dali zensor 3 power rating is 30-125 watts. So if i run the avr in stereo mode will it not affect the speaker? with 5 channel or more driven i can assume all speakers wont get power of 50-70 watts. Does marantz 6013 makes more sense?

Compare the specs of both AVRs...esp the caliberation features etc.....10-15 watts difference is not that huge......make an informed decision

Definitely it is over kill for 4 ceiling speakers for the room dimension u mentioned .
Its your call .You cant feel the separation IMHO

NO * " Trust you are not driving the amplifier at clipping level " at stereo mode ? ,only 2 speakers will be active so it is safe only( pure stereo - Direct mode kind of )

Wont be much difference between Marantz 6013 Vs Denon X4500H _ power spec wise Denon is better than Marantz here
165 watts Vs 150 watts

There are some bench test results available may be you can google it

atb
So a 5.2.2 will be more then enough right?

Compare the specs of both AVRs...esp the caliberation features etc.....10-15 watts difference is not that huge......make an informed decision
Yeah sure more then the power i am concerned on the speaker positioning as mentioned. As top speakers will be all near LCR and surrounds i was considering the fact that the sound-stage wont be good and the separations cant be felt

The reason for upgrade is for 4 ceiling speakers configuration.

Go for it..

Is 5.2.4 a bad choice for my room

Nope..

But the jump from Denon x 2500 to 4500 is going to cost you much.. If cost is a concern, you may settle for Pioneer LX 303, a lesser in-expensive option.

As top speakers will be all near LCR and surrounds i was considering the fact that the sound-stage wont be good and the separations cant be felt

Top Front & rear speakers would be separated from your LCR & surrounds atleast 5 ~ 6 ft in height. I don't see that as an issue..

Go for it..

Nope..

But the jump from Denon x 2500 to 4500 is going to cost you much.. If cost is a concern, you may settle for Pioneer LX 303, a lesser in-expensive option.

Top Front & rear speakers would be separated from your LCR & surrounds atleast 5 ~ 6 ft in height. I don't see that as an issue..
What is your take on the speaker placements Elango Ji? In height it will be 4 feet from the LCR and surrounds but they will be placed so near just few inches as shown in the diagram which is my major concern

What is your take on the speaker placements Elango Ji? In height it will be 4 feet from the LCR and surrounds but they will be placed so near just few inches as shown in the diagram which is my major concern

Do you mean spacing between top front & top rear would be only few inches ?..

For that room, in my opinion the cost to upgrade is not worth it considering what you are looking for. Regarding amp wattage, look at the full frequency rating and not the 1khz one.

The only realistic difference you'll get is the higher version of audyssey.

MaSh

Do you mean spacing between top front & top rear would be only few inches ?..
Well the distance from LCR and TF speakers and the the distance between the surrounds and Top rear speakers wont be much. They will be close. Approximately 4-5 feet
For that room, in my opinion the cost to upgrade is not worth it considering what you are looking for. Regarding amp wattage, look at the full frequency rating and not the 1khz one.

MaSh
Ok will consider all possibilities and if possible i will try to get 9 channel avr loaned and test a 5.1.4 config and see how it works

Yes,It will be a good upgrade & the 5.2.4 setup is always better.I think it won't be a problem for your room size

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks everyone for your inputs. I’ll better wait for sometime and decide
Good decision. Work/Experiment with speaker placement. One experiment you can try is making the surround speakers face the ceiling placed in the corner as close to the walls as possible. Run Audyssey, increase the speaker level by 3db post auto setup and see how it sounds. Idea is to get an immersive sound rather than a directed sound. Imagine a Torchlight, facing the ceiling(placed at the corner) vs facing the listener.

MaSh

MaSh
Best advise given. Seriously !

Well i am going to try and get a 9 channel avr, some height speakers loaned and audition at my place. Based on the results ill take a call. Once again Ty all

Please note that these AVRs doesn't support the configuration of adjacent ceiling speaker positions.
You won't be able to select that you have ceiling speakers at Top Rear and Top Middle positions.
You can select Top Rear and Top Front.
or Top Middle and Rear Height.

When I was evaluating the similar 4 ceiling speakers option with seating between Top Middle and Top Rear speakers, I came across this selection issue. So if you are keeping 4 ceiling speakers you have to select them as Top Front and Top Rear. Considering the Dolby recommendations, Top front will be too far from your seating and Top Rear will be just above you.

If your surround speakers are at 5-6 feet height, you can try Top Middle and Rear Height speaker configuration.
If possible try to move your listening position away from back wall. so that you will get better distance from surround, height, ceiling speakers.

Please note that these AVRs doesn't support the configuration of adjacent ceiling speaker positions.
You won't be able to select that you have ceiling speakers at Top Rear and Top Middle positions.
You can select Top Rear and Top Front.
or Top Middle and Rear Height.

When I was evaluating the similar 4 ceiling speakers option with seating between Top Middle and Top Rear speakers, I came across this selection issue. So if you are keeping 4 ceiling speakers you have to select them as Top Front and Top Rear. Considering the Dolby recommendations, Top front will be too far from your seating and Top Rear will be just above you.

If your surround speakers are at 5-6 feet height, you can try Top Middle and Rear Height speaker configuration.
If possible try to move your listening position away from back wall. so that you will get better distance from surround, height, ceiling speakers.
Yeah I checked the manual and I am aware. Currently I have the speakers installed in the TML and TMR position in a 5.1.2 configuration. I will try to audition first, well it is going to be a pain in me installing the ceiling speakers in 3 different positions and experimenting different amp assign modes and re-installing them in different positions. All depends on if I can get a 9 channel avr first for audition. I may get the 6012 or 6013 from my regular HT dealer.

Came across this set up. This is by a famous HT you tuber techno sad. The speaker position is so similar to my proposal in the diagram.Please refer the video as well and give your inputs.10E050F6-4132-4298-8F0E-167BDE38F168.jpeg10E050F6-4132-4298-8F0E-167BDE38F168.jpeg

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back