HFV Pune meet

image.jpg

jbgude if you are reading .. See for yourselves, the expressions on the face of everyone there (including yourself)... It was not choreographed. Its spontaneous. Looking at it, I think you will agree that this is not just a professional meet which follows organized rules, plans and schedules of listening and evaluating hifi audio gear... It is also a moment to enjoy TIME with fellow audio enthusiasts without strictly following the RULES, PLANS and SCHEDULES.

Do we remember what gear and track was playing at that time this photo was clicked? NO. Its just the moment we remember. That's what a get together is all about. The Pune 2012 meet had it all and I am glad I was a part of it :)

Corrected the same dude :D
Thats what happens when you don't interact much with all present :eek:hyeah:
Next time hopefully ;)

Thanks for the correction :D

And I hope you mean to say I did not interact with you ;)

I had to leave early due to some urgent work. Next time will attend full meet-up :eek:hyeah:

Santy, I agree with your comment:we were having a great time and overall that is what we had!
What I am trying to get at was : often we - or I could not hear the nuances with a particular speaker / equipment with the Loud chatter: I most defintely agree - we do need to discuss while a particular equip.suddenly caught all our attention or surprise ( for eg the Pioneer speaker).
We should be aware that perhaps our LOUD chatter distracts from the attention of others trying to form their own opinion.
Remember, I said I was playing the Devil's advocate.:)

PS : I have a fairly good collection of Music Concerts on DVD /BD and CDs - Blues/ Rock / Country/Jazz - and all FM's are welcome to come to my place, preferably, with a little bit of notice! :=)

Last edited:
@jbgude

The feedback you gave was very much valid and yes, chattering at the background definitely spoils the fun (of those who wish to listen / enjoy the music). Members should respect the gear that is playing.

My opinion was that it would be more appropriate to have such strict guidelines when the even is organized in a public space with entry fee etc... This was a residential place so it became more of a private get-together. So no complaints on anyone. :)

HI ALL, BACK TO NEXT ROUND OF DEMO COMPILATIONS:

DEMO NO.9

SOURCE: ASUS ESSENCE 1 (COST: 18K)
AMP: EMOTIVA X-100A MINI
SPEAKERS: BOSE 301 (COST:18K)
CABLES: TCHERNOV JUNIOR ICS FROM DAC TO AMP + GENERIC USB CABLE TO LAPTOP + AUDIOQUEST X2 SPEAKER CABLES

OBSERVATIONS:
:D FIRST TRACK PLAYED IN HONOR OF THE BOSE WAS BHAG D.K. BOSE :lol: I THINK THAT CAUGHT OUT 1 & ALL IN THE AUDIENCE AS THIS SUDDENLY SHUT THE CHATTER UP FOLLOWED BY PEELS OF LAUGHTER :eek:hyeah:
SINCE BOSE DOES NOT DECLARE ANY SPECS OF THEIR PRODUCTS, WE SHALL CONTINUE IN THE SAME VEIN & KEEP SILENCE :indifferent:
MAYBE THE OWNER OF THE 301S WILL SHARE HIS VIEWS :rolleyes:

MY VIEW: EVERYTHING MINUS THE SPEAKERS WERE BADLY INSULTED ;)

DEMO NO.10

SOURCE: ASUS ESSENCE 1
AMP: ACOUSTIC PORTRAIT SWARA PRE + POWER (COST:80K NOW BUT ROHITMUSIC GOT THEM FOR 45K, NEW OR USED I DONT KNOW :rolleyes: )
SPEAKERS: BOSE 301
CABLES: TCHERNOV JUNIOR ICS FROM DAC TO AMP + GENERIC USB CABLE TO LAPTOP + AUDIOQUEST X2 SPEAKER CABLES

OBSERVATIONS:
1 TRACK WAS PLAYED, THE AUDIENCE PROTESTED LOUDLY FOR WHAT YOUR GUESS IS GOOD AS MINE & SO THAT WAS THE END OF THE BOSE BEING PLAYED DURING THE MEET :cool:
SINCE BOSE DOES NOT DECLARE ANY SPECS OF THEIR PRODUCTS, WE SHALL CONTINUE IN THE SAME VEIN & KEEP SILENCE :indifferent14:
MAYBE THE OWNER OF THE 301S WILL SHARE HIS VIEWS :rolleyes:

MY VIEW: NO COMMENTS AT ALL, IN FACT NOTHING TO SAY :p

DEMO NO.11

AMP: ACOUSTIC PORTRAIT SWARA PRE + POWER
SPEAKERS: KRYPTON AUDIO K-100B TL (KEVLAR CONED) (COST:pROTOTYPES & HARI DID NOT REVEAL EXACT COST OF THEM)

OBSERVATIONS:
SYNERGY WAS AWRY, AMP VOLUME @ 1 POINT OF TIME WAS @ 3 OCLOCK :eek: & THE SPEAKERS STILL COULD NOT PRODUCE ANY AMOUNT OF ADEQUATE SPL LEVELS. REALLY WAS DUMBFOUNDED AS WERE THE OTHERS.

MY VIEW: HAVE EARLIER HEARD THE SPEAKERS GO LOUD WITH A 40 W OLD SONY AMP, BUT SADLY FELT THAT THE AP AMP WAS JUST NOT HAVING ANY BALLS TO DRIVE THEM. OWNER OF AP AMP WAS JUST AS SHOCKED AS I WAS :sad:

DEMO NO.12

AMP: NELSON PASS DESIGN B1 PRE AMP MADE BY FM OMISHRA (COST:MATERIALS 10.5K + LABOUR[PRICELESS]) PAIRED WITH NORGE 1200 POWER AMP (COST:16K) FYI COST OF NORGE PRE-POWER WHEN LAUNCHED ABOUT YEAR BACK WAS 13K, THEN HIKED TO 16K & NOW AROUND 23K(DUE THANKS TO PEOPLE THINKING THAT THE NORGE GEAR BEING PRICED SO CHEAP IS NOT WORTH!!!) HOW WRONG THEY ARE HAS BEEN PROVED DURING THIS MEET :mad:
SPEAKERS: KRYPTON AUDIO K-100B TL (KEVLAR CONED)

OBSERVATIONS:
FIRST SONG PLAYED WAS DARD-E-DIL & THE AUDIENCE JUST SHUT THE F@CK UP IMMEDIATELY!!! IT WAS LIKE MOHAMMED RAFI SAAB WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US SINGING LIVE :clapping: IN 1 WORD, THE SYNERGY WAS SUPERB & PUT A SMILE ON THE FACES OF ALL.

MY VIEW: WOWOW! COMPLETE SYNERGY ALWAYS HAS THAT MAGICAL EFFECT! YOU GET LOST IN THE MUSIC. THIS SET-UP HAD THE FOLLOWING IN SPADES:
GOOD SOUND STAGE, INSTRUMENT SEPARATION, PERFECT VOICING, MICRO DETAILING & ULTIMATELY VERY MUSICAL.
1 OF THE BEST SET-UPS THAT I HEARD DURING THE MEET.

SINCE THE AP FIASCO WAS STILL QUITE OMNIPRESENT IN OUR MINDS, WE JOINTLY DECIDED TO TRY SOME EXPERIMENTS TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR THE MUCH FAMED AP GEAR TO UNDER PERFORM. WE DECIDED TO DO A MIX N MATCH OF THE AP PRE/POWER WITH THE PASS B1 PRE & NORGE POWER AMPS. WE DECIDED TO PLAY THE SAME 3 TRACKS THAT WE PLAYED DURING THE DEMO NO. 12. THE RESULTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

DEMO NO.13

AMP: ACOUSTIC PORTRAIT SWARA PRE + NORGE POWER 1200

OBSERVATIONS:
LESS CONTROL OF AMP TO SPEAKERS, THE MAGICAL FEELING WAS ABSENT & SO WAS THE EMOTION. QUITE SAD ACTUALLY. ANY EXCUSE OF THE TUBE PRE NOT GETTING SUITABLY WARMED UP TO OPTIMUM IS NOT VALID AS BY NOW THE TUBE PRE WAS KEPT ON FOR QUITE A WHILE :cool:

MY VIEW: JUST DISAPPOINTED, AS THE EMOTIONAL CONNECT WAS LOST. YOU HAVE TO DOFF YOUR HAT TO MAHA GURU NELSON PASS DESIGNED B1 PRE AMP, WHICH WAS EXECUTED TO A T BY HIS AVID CHELA OMISHRA! NO 2 WAYS ABOUT THAT :clapping:

DEMO NO.14

AMP: PASS B1 PRE + ACOUSTIC PORTRAIT SWARA POWER

OBSERVATIONS:
FOUND THAT THE COMBINATION WORKED BETTER THAN THE EARLIER ONE, PRE TO POWER & SPEAKER SYNERGY WAS MUCH BETTER. VOCALS FOUND TO BE MORE REALISTIC & IN THE SPOT LIGHT.

MY VIEW: BETTER THAN THE EARLIER COMBO, NO DOUBT, BUT WAS THOROUGHLY SPOILT BY PASS B1 PRE & NORGE POWER 1200 COMBO, SO AS MUCH AS I TRIED, MY HEART DID NOT CONNECT WITH IT :sad:

DEMO NO.15

AMP: PASS B1 PRE + TRIPATH TA2022 POWER (COST: MATERIALS 12.5K + LABOUR[PRICELESS])

OBSERVATIONS:
GOOD SYNERGY OVERALL, WITH PUNCHY BASS. MUSICAL TO BOOT.

MY VIEW: HOW I WISH WE ALL COULD DO DIY !!! TO GET A FANTASTIC PRE & POWER AT A COMBINED COST OF 23K + ENJOYING THE FRUITS OF YOUR HARD LABOUR TRULY IS PRICELESS :clapping: PRE & POWER COMBO WAS HAVING REALLY GOOD MATCH SO FOR ME THEY WERE 1 OF THE STARS OF THE MEET :)

Yup looks like you guy's had great time.

Looks like Pune also trounced the AP combo.(any way they are hype)

Which product is that in alumunium enclosure?

Oak

No sweat .... iaudio and Gvenu ..... your APs are amongst the best India-made pre-powers I have heard till date! Possibly their recent made goods 'could' have issues OR the ones used in the Pune Meet had some ....

Hello friends,

Sorry to butt in like this. I became a member of this forum recently and was delighted to see that there is a dedicated Pune chapter too.

Your advice would be much appreciated to help me aggregate a reasonably priced rig. The stereo will be be placed in my living room which is quite large with an 18 foot ceiling. I have adequate space to keep the components well away from the walls. My budget is about 85K. My music is slow rock, rock, punk (my son), disco, reggae, jazz, Western and Indian classical, some techno, country, Indipop, ghazals etc.

I do favour tight bass.

With these parameters, I have chosen the following components. Please do feel absolutely free to make radical recommendations ONLY if you have experienced the reproduction of your choice on a first person basis.

1. Amp - Marantz PM 5004/ Cambridge Audio Azur 351A

2. Speakers - Boston Acoustics A 360

3. CD Player - Marantz CD 5004/ CA 351C

4. Turntable - Marantz TT 5005.

Please do give your comments keeping the bufget in mind; I cannot go ONE PAISA over it as the "High Command" has sanctioned this amount after one year of efforts (those married will sympathise and empathise too)

Regards,

Maneesh

Welcome docjoe - you seem to be a " sleeping Beauty " :p as your tag shows you joined in 2008! Have you managed to get all your chosen equipment within your budget ?

Since I have not heard the Boston A 360 I cannot offer any comments on those. The Marantz 5004 set is a great starting point, only thing is to judge if it has enough power to fill your room and satisfy your son and yourself.... if you want to listen to other (modest) systems as a comparison / judging point, you are welcome to my place.

Pass B1

Hi all,
I have got few requests for Pass B1.I can provide B1 and Power supply kits to members if there is enough interest.

Regards,
Sachin

Re: Pass B1

Hi Sachin,
I am in for one B1 board and components.
Will put it before the LDR.
Regards,
Sann

Hi all,
I have got few requests for Pass B1.I can provide B1 and Power supply kits to members if there is enough interest.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi all,

Regards,
Sachin

:clapping: Can you offer a fully built one please for non-diyer's like myself. That would be great :yahoo:

Thanks Sachu!

:clapping: Can you offer a fully built one please for non-diyer's like myself. That would be great :yahoo:

Thanks Sachu!

Hi Denom,
Its a simple build.I don't get time now a days an lot of pending projects like pass F5,Tube amp etc.You can request Pune or Mumbai members.I am sure someone will help you.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks Sachu!

Me too! In for one. Prebuilt or not. Will bug Omishra/sann/flash later to get it built :D

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back