Hi all A/V fans, DIY HT geek is here...

vkiran

Hi all,

I have been kinda stupid, discovered this forum just last week ! and I have been at it from years now ! always haunting US and UK forums as my gear is (& was) from there.

I have been a :early bird on all the technology out there. My HT setup currently is :

ONKYO 875
B&W speakers 7.1
BENQ PE7700 1080i
Panasonic BD30K Blue ray
Onkyo DVD/SACD player
120" DIY screen
DIY sound treated room.

I would love to share the build and upkeep notes with like minded folks, so this is the first of my several posts.

regards

Hi Vkiran,
Welcome to da club :) & that sounds like a cool Setup you have.

DIY sound treated room....mmmm may be we all can get some help from you regarding this.

Anyways Welcome once again brother....:p

Sam

Hi Vikran,

Welcome onboard. The DIY sound treated room that you mentioned...could you please elaborate on that further. Can it be done using locally (India) sourced material? How many workhours (approx) did it take you? And approx how many square feet of your HT did you do the sound treatment? I like doing these kind of little projects at home and i'd be happy to kick off this project if I found it feasible for me. Hence, the request for the above few key data points. Thanks.

best rgds.
Srinath

Hi Vikran,

Welcome onboard. The DIY sound treated room that you mentioned...could you please elaborate on that further. Can it be done using locally (India) sourced material? How many workhours (approx) did it take you? And approx how many square feet of your HT did you do the sound treatment? I like doing these kind of little projects at home and i'd be happy to kick off this project if I found it feasible for me. Hence, the request for the above few key data points. Thanks.

best rgds.
Srinath

I plan to do a comprehensive build out blog ASAP. I have been travelling a lot this couple of months. But here's my teaser:

1. I have a 20 x 14 feet room all cement walls and thus lots of revrebration. I.e., sound bouncing off the walls and causing intereference.

2. To verify this you have to do "the Clap test" : Clap loudly and listen to the ringing sound that follows. More the harmonics, longer the ringing. Mine was pretty sad !

3. I surfed the web for gyaan and decided to build sound traps that woudl absorb it and not let it bounce off the walls. This call for 5" think MDF boxes stuffed with glass wool. An then covered in Curtain cloth material .

4. All locally done in Bangalore, but me and a trusty carpenter to help out. Total cost is around 10 -12K. I had choked on the 1L+ quotes given by the "Audio consultants" who couldnt spot a SACD even if they ran over it.

5. Long strory short, made these baffles for the walls and corners. Covers about 35-40% of the wall area. The sound is now better than many a auditorium/cinema hall I have been to.

6. I promise, I will blog the steps and put up photos soon, need a longish weekend from work :-(.

Questions welcome on the build and design.

hello VKiran

u rightly said " I had choked on the 1L+ quotes given by the 'Audio consultants' who couldnt spot a SACD even if they ran over it.".......our AV market is full(not all) with people selling u overpriced services/products............its hard to find whats VFM(value for money).

i want to know
(1)THE CLAP TEST:what to u mean my "ringing" sound ..is it same as echo

(2)Baffles for the walls and corners:why they Covers only about 35-40% of the wall area and what actually are these "Baffles for the walls and corners"

(3)i also have a small room 4x 3 m, with glass windows panel for the full wall...what should be done with it because it rattle a lot to the sound of the subwoofer

cheers

Hi

My replies inline:

(1)THE CLAP TEST:what to u mean my "ringing" sound ..is it same as echo
Yes and no, echo has a large phase differnece and thus is an audible longer sound. The ringing is the echo of only certain frequencies that bounces back not once by many times and thus causes a complex distorition. This sounds like a ringing immidiately after the clap. Not a bell but a constant reverbration.

(2)Baffles for the walls and corners:why they Covers only about 35-40% of the wall area and what actually are these "Baffles for the walls and corners"

They are the sound absorbers that I built as described above.

(3)i also have a small room 4x 3 m, with glass windows panel for the full wall...what should be done with it because it rattle a lot to the sound of the subwoofer
Glass responds to low frequency reverbrations, the best is to hang a thick curtain in front of it. Let it hang loose with lots of folds. This will act as a good absorber.

Folks,
Last weekend I visited Kiran's theatre. It was mindblowing. His set up was pretty amazing. Despite all the gear, the room didnt look cluttered with electronics ( it was the "i-am-overwhelmed-feeling-the-electronics" euphira versus the "i-am-overwhelmed-seeing-the-electronics" feeling)
We saw Cars on blu-ray and must say i was amazed at the clarity. I had seen a couple of 720p/1080i projectors earlier.. but the benq was very lively. Add to it the sound. Kiran played the 875/B&W at around 10db below reference ( i was surprised that it was not at all harsh on ears as i would have expected with a 95db sound)
The sound proofing is pretty amazing. The sting sacd was wonderful in channel separation.

I take this forum to thank Kiran for all his time and hospitality..And thanks to hifivision for giving us a forum which makes all this happen!!

I would jump at another opportunity to visit kiran's theatre and see planet earth on BD :).. Kiran.. looking forward to your blog on your theatre.

Hi all,

I have been kinda stupid, discovered this forum just last week ! and I have been at it from years now ! always haunting US and UK forums as my gear is (& was) from there.

I have been a :early bird on all the technology out there. My HT setup currently is :

ONKYO 875
B&W speakers 7.1
BENQ PE7700 1080i
Panasonic BD30K Blue ray
Onkyo DVD/SACD player
120" DIY screen
DIY sound treated room.

I would love to share the build and upkeep notes with like minded folks, so this is the first of my several posts.

regards

Welcome onboard and look forward to hear more from you.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back