sam9s Home Entertainment Theater Project - PHASE 1

^^ ok so the HT room stands at original 15x10x8 ...right..........and for music I should change it to 10x9x8....

Yes :)

Also can you assist me in selecting center and SUB, or may be just center as I am struggling for a compatible center under my budget.

Everything else is ordered and on it way....

I know nothing about HT setups, really. Except for the generic info that the center should be the same as the fronts, I really have no idea about choosing a center channel, sorry :eek:

About the sub also, I know very little, but I've listened to a Velodyne Impact 12 in a HT setup (the room was 12 x 16 x 10, or very close to it) and it sounded quite good. I think it is between 25K and 30K. It may not do a very good job with music, though. You should get a Velodyne Impact 10 for around 25K.

If you have a more generous budget for a sub, say north of 60K, something from SVS would be excellent. I'm not sure of pricing, but a PB12NSD would be something like 70K, I think. It should do a fair job with music also, if you'd like it to multi-task. Audire (Coimbatore) deals in SVS. For music only, I'd get a Rel T5 (50-55K, I think).

@ Manoj n Sud, ..... and others as well ..:)

A straight tech comparison between Polk CS10 and Whraf 9.CS. Hope this makes my fellwo members easy to suggest..

Compare Polk TSi CS10 Center Speaker vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS Center Speaker - Shopping.com

Sam,

Comparisons aside, the center from Wharf will not have tonal match with Polk floor-standers unless they use the same tweeter or at least same family of tweeters and mid-range. As it is, a horizontal center speaker is a compromise, you will only aggravate it by going with different manufacturer altogether.

The best way you can test this is by borrowing the same center speaker from someone and try with panning sound scenes from different movies with your floor-standers.

And repeating again - the best center speaker is the same as your L/R speaker. If you have space below your screen, just buy one more of the floor stander and your matching center problem will be gone. No more matching center, it will be exact center.

Ok fair enough, TSi 300 are my fronts, and TSi 300 have CS10 as matching center, I called up Bass N Treble, polk authorized dealer in delhi they did not have CS10. They have TSX110B for 10500. Neither can I find CS10 anywhere online.

I will try other dealers as well to get polk CS10.

@Any one from delhi who can provide me info where I can get CS10

Ok fair enough, TSi 300 are my fronts, and TSi 300 have CS10 as matching center, I called up Bass N Treble, polk authorized dealer in delhi they did not have CS10. They have TSX110B for 10500. Neither can I find CS10 anywhere online.

I will try other dealers as well to get polk CS10.

@Any one from delhi who can provide me info where I can get CS10

Sam, I just saw that there is a CS9 for sale in our forum itself. Not sure whether it is sold out but you can contact him.

Yes manniraj I already did I was also about to close the deal as well, but fellow members here say I should stick to Polks center for compatibility reasons, as I have polk fronts .....so dropped the idea .....

OK time for Update ..... went to Danny's Bass n Treble, to audition the woofer and the center as well. CS10 is no more in to production, so the next level to CS10 from polks is TSX 150C, which I found to be very satisfactory (though I must admit have not listened to, too man centres.) Price for these were 10500/- which was kinda out of my budget, but I had no option, so finally placed the order for the same. BTW vocal from this movie "Zindigai Na amilage dobara" were sounding astounding, as if Faran Akthar was right there in front speaking in the mic.

Coming to woofer, this would be a surprise for most of my fellow members here. I took audition for three Polk PSW125, Sunrise (some model I dont remember) and SVS SB-1000. Now hold your surprise, what I enjoyed the most was the cheapest one Polk SW125 ...:D :D ..... Now there might/must be a reason to this, and it could be, how I enjoy my movies. I need the vibrations and the shakes felt across the room, including my recliner, and not just around my ears.(if you know what I mean), Even though the lower frequency for both SVS and Sunrise were quite low than Polk PSW125, the rumbling of my chair and roof as well.. :) was done by polk. SVS yes I was able to feel the bass, punch but it was more limited to me. Sunrise was even poor. There was this scene, again in "Zindigi na milegina dobara" where Rithik Roshan does this scuba diving, the underwater background effect that was there in the movie was made to resemble something like resounding heart beat, (very engrossing if you ask me) which was actually making the false ceiling rumble :D, including my chair ....... unlike SVS where this was totally absent and the base was more confined. This might be good for most of the people hence the popularity of SVS but not for me (it also could be that the cross over or other setting needs to be addressed with SVS to provide "that" rumbling effect that I look for in movies and action sequences.

Anyway I will in all probability also go with Polk, I will visit danny again by the end of the month to finally purchase the SUB, I might then also audition the SVS PB1000 (which is ported) and hence might provide better performance.

Last edited:
Time for Update :::::::

Ok so Center is decided, TSx 150C, sub as well in app probability will be of Polk. Next step is the projector screen. Its an subject in its own. I am searching the forum and googling as well, but also would like fellow members to suggest whats the best screen I can get for 10-15K. Yes I know less budget, but thats all I can manage for now. Please point me in the right direction.

Now hold your surprise, what I enjoyed the most was the cheapest one Polk SW125 ...:D :D .....

Dear, If you want me to speak out from heart I too love my polk sub very much in that price range, but unfortunately get thrashed out :( almost in all threads of this forum regarding that Polk sub of mine.

Sam, if you remember, could you say what the SVS SB-1000's price was?

it was 45K/-or 38K/- I am a bit confused between SVS and sunfire.... I didnt push for discounted price as I was not impressed.

Dear, If you want me to speak out from heart I too love my polk sub very much in that price range, but unfortunately get thrashed out :( almost in all threads of this forum regarding that Polk sub of mine.

Why would that be, ......you like what you like and I am always straight forward about it. My budget was 40K and I am sure if I had pushed I could have gone for SB 1000, but I did not get, for what I enjoy movies for......

its the same with floorstands for music, which I will purchase in next couple of months. B&W is such a highly rated company, but I did not like their floorstands in comparison to docile Wharfdale 10.4 :)...... which were more than half the price less than B&W. :):)

UPDATE ::: The first of the hardware arrives. The Projector EPSON 2030 along with the glasses and the wall ceiling mount.

fbj79k.jpg

Next stop is the center TSX150C .......

For the screen I am putting it on hold, there is a lot of confusion regarding what aspect ratio should I go for and if I should opt CIH, or CIW with the kind of projector I have. This can only be answered when I mount my projector with my HT's front wall. Which would give me time to experiment and see what looks best to my eyes...... only then I will order the screen accordingly.

UPDATE ::: The first of the hardware arrives. The Projector EPSON 2030 along with the glasses and the wall ceiling mount.

fbj79k.jpg

Next stop is the center TSX150C .......

For the screen I am putting it on hold, there is a lot of confusion regarding what aspect ratio should I go for and if I should opt CIH, or CIW with the kind of projector I have. This can only be answered when I mount my projector with my HT's front wall. Which would give me time to experiment and see what looks best to my eyes...... only then I will order the screen accordingly.

about the screen on hold is being the safest bet. if you planning to place the screen on a plain wall i would suggest buy the screen in the end and project is on the wall. if it purely for movies and not SD sitcoms then a 16:9 will be perfect.

Yes that is the intention, the screen will be on a plane wall albeit thin carpeted. But before I carpet and do the aesthetics, I will mount the projector and play with all kinds of Aspect ratios and CIH, CIW concept. Once I am satisfied with what I like most will order the screen accordingly, so yes that would be my kind of last purchase.

About aspect ratio. yes the HT will be 90% for movies (source might change - HTPC. WDTV, BluRay Player, Netflix) with like 10% of occasional gaming, BUT 98% of my movie collection is in 2.35:1 and not in 16:9 (1.78), so have to see how that goes. I will try my level best to get rid of those black bars, but I am limited with the kind of projector features I have so will experiment and see how it goes.

Yes that is the intention, the screen will be on a plane wall albeit thin carpeted. But before I carpet and do the aesthetics, I will mount the projector and play with all kinds of Aspect ratios and CIH, CIW concept. Once I am satisfied with what I like most will order the screen accordingly, so yes that would be my kind of last purchase.

About aspect ratio. yes the HT will be 90% for movies (source might change - HTPC. WDTV, BluRay Player, Netflix) with like 10% of occasional gaming, BUT 98% of my movie collection is in 2.35:1 and not in 16:9 (1.78), so have to see how that goes. I will try my level best to get rid of those black bars, but I am limited with the kind of projector features I have so will experiment and see how it goes.

Well, I don't think I can say much here...
But I do have a little to share in case not already known.
As you said the purpose of projector is to watch mostly movies with 2.35:1 ratio; then it does make some sense to go with a projector screen (CIH) with 2.35:1 ratio. In that case, it's recommended to use the projector with an anamorphic lens to take full advantage of 2.35:1 Bluray/HD movies.
I had recently watched a video on youtube explaining why it does make sense to use anamorphic lens instead of using 'zoom' option which results in quality loss and few other things.
I think the entire video is very interesting; but watch out from 38th minute for the explanation on projector stuff.
Home Theater Geeks 192: Aspect Ratios Explained - YouTube

i see samsung glasses. though am not sure but i guess these are IR based and works with an emitter from the tv itself.

will these work with the PJ ?

i see samsung glasses. though am not sure but i guess these are IR based and works with an emitter from the tv itself.

will these work with the PJ ?

No they are RF based, look at the snap again closely you will see RF written on the box .... :). That was another reason to go for this LCD based projector

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back