sam9s Home Entertainment Theater Project - PHASE 1

Well, I don't think I can say much here...
But I do have a little to share in case not already known.
As you said the purpose of projector is to watch mostly movies with 2.35:1 ratio; then it does make some sense to go with a projector screen (CIH) with 2.35:1 ratio. In that case, it's recommended to use the projector with an anamorphic lens to take full advantage of 2.35:1 Bluray/HD movies.
I had recently watched a video on youtube explaining why it does make sense to use anamorphic lens instead of using 'zoom' option which results in quality loss and few other things.
I think the entire video is very interesting; but watch out from 38th minute for the explanation on projector stuff.
Home Theater Geeks 192: Aspect Ratios Explained - YouTube

technobhatt anamorphic lenses are way too expensive, the cheapest anamorphic lens is almost the same price as the projector itself!!!!. So Zooming is the only option left, however zooming on projector is optical zoom and expands the pixel, so technically there is not much of PQ loss. The main issue or drawback is that you have to manually do this this zooming every time you switch between different aspect ratios, not to forget, also device a way to mask those black bars. CIH is tough to implement with no auto zoom and memory lens feature, in comparison to CIW, where all you need is masking, no zooming required. But anyway I will see what I do when I mount the projector and experiment.

Last edited:
technobhatt anamorphic lenses is way too expensive, the cheapest anamorphic lens is almost the same price as the projector itself!!!!. So Zooming is the only option left, however zooming on projector is optical zoom and expands the pixel, so technically there is not much of PQ loss. The main issue or drawback is that you have to manually do this this zooming every time you switch between different aspect ratios, not to forget, also device a way to mask those black bars. CIH is tough to implement with no auto zoom and memory lens feature, in comparison to CIW, where all you need is masking, no zooming required. But anyway I will see what I do when I mount the projector and experiment.

Ohh.. I didn't know that anamorphic lenses are that much expensive :eek:

Ok time for UPDATE :::

AVR x1000 arrived, was delivered in Delhi at my friends place, will go this weekend to collect. Will also collect rest of the gear (center, rear and sub) this weekend from danny.

The prefab construction on the terrace should begin this weekend as well. (That guy is ultra busy), but hopefully the construction should start.

Once I have all the equipment and construction starts I will also start the new PHASE II thread for the civil construction of the room. Would be interesting to have my fellow members input there.

Update ::::::

Got my X1000, also went to Bass N Treble to get the Center, SUB and Rear. Interesting deal happened, Danny offered me an upgrade to my sub for another 6K, which was too cool to resist, so finally purchased Polk PSW 550 along with Center TSx 150C. The rear Polk TSx 110B were not in stock, but I made the payment, they would ship it to me next week.

11lhc11.jpg

2a769p1.jpg

Congratulations and keep us posted on updates abt ur HT. We are almost in d same ship wid these POLKS

Hi Manoj and Friends,

Please share your view regarding Home Theater Projector selection. I have a budget of 1.0 lac and In India I am getting Epson 6100 within my budget. The projector has Contest Ratio 40000:1. What would be Ideal contrast ratio for a room size L-23',W-13' and Height 8.25 '?

Do 40000:1 ratio will make huge difference compared to projectors having contrast ratio 100000:1?

Please give your views on this matter. Also suggest some good Home theater available in India.

Regards,
Samrat.

Hey Sam,

Recently I was saw a HT system Denon X500 with Sys 5.1 speakers. The X500 can decode DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD. Does that mean it can even decode DTS and Dolby digital?

Damm seriously am I the only owner of DSW550 apart from you on this forum???

probably if not the only one then also very less. Years back I once thought of having a separate thread for Polk subs, but feared :sad: that mods :) will close the thread due to prolonged activity or might end up thinking only one person is making a propaganda out of it.

UPDATE ::

Friends it gives me great pleasure to update that the construction to my Dream Home theater has started on the terrace of my flat.:)

I could not take the Prefab route, As initially planned, as it was coming really expensive (for what ever reasons, as seriously the material used for the same did not look like as if it would cost much), anyway I decided to take the brick wall route and then use Fiber Cement Roofing Sheets for the roof. (as RCC roof is not allowed.) Then from inside do a POP or gypsum board false ceiling.....

I will start my new thread to discuss the civil construction and the interiors once the frame work is erected. Here few snaps of the same.

2ro2wiw.jpg

2wnwz9v.jpg

probably if not the only one then also very less. Years back I once thought of having a separate thread for Polk subs, but feared :sad: that mods :) will close the thread due to prolonged activity or might end up thinking only one person is making a propaganda out of it.

Haisaikat, can you tell me what kind of woofer cable will be used with the DSW 550. I am a bit confused by the connection available at the back AFAIK, it used to be a simple co-axial cable ..... not sure about this.

Can you point me the right direction ....

What kinda input does your dsw have? Does it have 2 coax in? If yes, just use one of them i.e. single sub out from receiver goes to any one of the coax in of subwoofer.

Last edited:
From the picture I think you can use the LFE In to connect the LFE (sub-out) of your AV receiver using a digital coaxial cable.

Manniraj is right.
The reason why you have speaker posts on the sub is because you can use the subwoofer as your crossover. You can set the cutoff freq (what is played by sub vs what is fed to speakers) on the sub.
But modern receivers do the cutoff/crossover themselves, so we usually do not need to use the other options and can just use LFE in.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back