Home theater or Amplifier?

pannags

Hello,

I have a Sony VCD mini hi-fi system which I am also using as an amplifier for audio from my TV and DVD player.

Now, I have been considering buying an entry level 2.1 channel amplifier with tower speakers to have a simple home theater setup - currently narrowed down to the Onkyo LS-V501. Can you please clarify some fundamental questions I have, before I can go-ahead:

1. How different will the output of an amplifier be in comparison to my Sony VCD mini hi-fi system, when I feed audio from other devices like a TV or DVD player.

2. Is using a home theater system like Onkyo LS-V501 equivalent to using an AV amplifier with speakers? If not, what is the difference?

My budget is 35k and I need 2 tower speakers and a decent amp to use with my TV and DVD player.

Thanks,
JPS.

1. How different will the output of an amplifier be in comparison to my Sony VCD mini hi-fi system, when I feed audio from other devices like a TV or DVD player.

This is difficult to answer unless one knows how the Sony system sounds. The Onkyo LS-V501 does have some good reviews and should have improved sound as compared to the Sony.

2. Is using a home theater system like Onkyo LS-V501 equivalent to using an AV amplifier with speakers? If not, what is the difference?

Certainly not. For one the LS-V501 uses 2007 technology and will not support HD Audio. It does not support FullHD (or 1080P). If you buy a Blu-Ray player down the line, you will have to see the images in 1080i or 720P. And of course, the LS-V501 is only a 2.1 system, not a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

These are as far as specs and technology goes. At the same time, if you take a decent AVR from Onkyo itself and run it as a 2.1 system, you will not hear much difference between that and the LS-V501 system.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks so much venkat.
I would definitely want to look for a set that supports HD audio as well as Full HD video. Basically I would be interested in an amplifier for audio only and not video. I hope I can get a pair of tower speakers and a 2.1 channel amplifier from jamo for 40k?

I would definitely want to look for a set that supports HD audio as well as Full HD video. Basically I would be interested in an amplifier for audio only and not video. I hope I can get a pair of tower speakers and a 2.1 channel amplifier from jamo for 40k?

What you could do is look for a AVR that costs around 30K, and set up a 2.1 system now. You may have to enhance your budget by about 15 to 20K.

As you move forward, you can add more speakers and get a full 5.1 system (or even a 7.1) in time. You already have a DVD Player, and getting system that locks the Receiver and DVD player into a single unit does not make sense.

Cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back