Home theatre for music n movies

msk70

Planning to buy marantz1508 receiver and pioneer andrew jones 5.1 speakers. Usage is 50:50 for music n movies.
Is denon / share dale combo is good.
Please suggest. Budget is 1 lac.

Budget is 1 lac.

Consider Pioneer LX 303, a 5.1.4 capable Atmos / Dts X AVR abt 60K.. for the remaining budget you can complete 3.1 set-up, and add surrounds & heights progressively.. Would be a good HT set-up when you finish all the speakers..

If you can't spend more than the mentioned budget, you can choose Denon x 1400 / Pioneer 932, a 5.1.2 capable AVR and speakers in your remaining budget..

Consider Pioneer LX 303, a 5.1.4 capable Atmos / Dts X AVR abt 60K.. for the remaining budget you can complete 3.1 set-up, and add surrounds & heights progressively.. Would be a good HT set-up when you finish all the speakers..

If you can't spend more than the mentioned budget, you can choose Denon x 1400 / Pioneer 932, a 5.1.2 capable AVR and speakers in your remaining budget..
Thanks buddy. I hv auditioned onkyo / jamo s626 combination n found it good. What's your opinion

1508 is old model, you may consider 1509. If you are planning to add Atmos speakers in future, you can consider 1609.
Since your usage is 50:50 for music n movies, I recommend Marantz over Denon/Onkyo.
Onkyo is not having Audyssey room calibration, they are using some other.

As suggested by elangoas , it is better to build the setup step by step.

You can buy Marantz AVR, Polk/KEF/SVS speakers, SVS subwoofer in phases.
You can start with AVR+Front L/R speakers then add others step by step

Thanks buddy. I hv auditioned onkyo / jamo s626 combination n found it good. What's your opinion

If you liked the combo, you can settle for it.. Which model of Onkyo was that ? You may consider Onkyo TX NR 787, similar offering as Pioneer LX 303, with 5.1.4 (or) 7.1.2 out of the box capability..

1508, 1608 etc. are 2017 models.
1509, 1609 etc. are 2018 models.

Agree that 2018 models are still not available in India, but will be available soon, within few weeks I think.

They will be available at the current price fo 2017 models (mostly thats the trend). Price of 2017 models will come down.

When latest features getting at the same price in a new model , why to buy a current model which is getting obsolete.
If it is possible to wait for the availability of 2018 models, that is recommended.

1508 is old model, you may consider 1509. If you are planning to add Atmos speakers in future, you can consider 1609.
Since your usage is 50:50 for music n movies, I recommend Marantz over Denon/Onkyo.
Onkyo is not having Audyssey room calibration, they are using some other.

As suggested by elangoas , it is better to build the setup step by step.

You can buy Marantz AVR, Polk/KEF/SVS speakers, SVS subwoofer in phases.
You can start with AVR+Front L/R speakers then add others step by step
Thank you so much for ur guidance. I heard 1508 outputs only 50w rms per channel. Will it be sufficient. Also, is 1508 with pioneer andrew jones speakers a good option.

If you liked the combo, you can settle for it.. Which model of Onkyo was that ? You may consider Onkyo TX NR 787, similar offering as Pioneer LX 303, with 5.1.4 (or) 7.1.2 out of the box capability..
I auditioned only 675 with jamo s626 speakers

Thank you so much for ur guidance. I heard 1508 outputs only 50w rms per channel. Will it be sufficient. Also, is 1508 with pioneer andrew jones speakers a good option.

We have to refer to the wattage mentioned for Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive).
This value is 50W for 1508, 1509, 1608, 1609. Which means the overall power capacity is same for all these models.
When we use 5 speakers or 7 speakers, this power is distributed across all speakers.

For watching movies at normal volumes in small room, this power capacity is sufficient.
But for watching at reference volumes in medium/large room higher capacity AVR or external power AMP is recommended.

I would suggest to buy 7 channel amp which will provide the scalability to add Surround Back, Atmos, Front Hight, Rear High, Front Wide or Zone 2

There are better speakers than Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers, if you can increase your budget for speakers.

You may consider building step by step.

With the 1 Lakh budget you have, I would suggest to buy 1609 with a pair of good bookshelf speakers like SVS Prime, KEF, Tannoy, Elac, Polk, Jamo. Select a pair of bookshelf which you liked while auditioning. But ensure that there are matching towers, centre channel etc in that speaker series, so that you can add towers and move bookshelf to surround, then add Center and then add subwoofer, then Atmos ceiling speakers.

later polk omn 3 for surround anf polk s35 for center

I do not recommend S35, it is not a good centre channel with 3" drivers. Buy only if you really like it.

Polk Signature series is considered to be replacement for RTi Series, but there are no matching speakers in Signature series for CSi A6, RTi A7, A9 etc. I think Polk is discontinuing S35, not able to see that on site in the centre channel speakers section.

The mistake everyone (including me) who enters the HT world does is to buy a 5.1 system in the limited budget, which definitely means a compromise on quality. You get matured in HT world, the moment you understand that a good 5.1 system in a limited budget is almost impossible unless you go used market route. Better start simple but strong. With the available budget, go for a good receiver + 2 good bookshelf speakers. As and when you get more to invest, go for a center channel, rear channels, subwoofer and then atmos speakers in that order. I know its tough to accept, but slow and steady will always get you a better HT :)

The mistake everyone (including me) who enters the HT world does is to buy a 5.1 system in the limited budget, which definitely means a compromise on quality. You get matured in HT world, the moment you understand that a good 5.1 system in a limited budget is almost impossible unless you go used market route. Better start simple but strong. With the available budget, go for a good receiver + 2 good bookshelf speakers. As and when you get more to invest, go for a center channel, rear channels, subwoofer and then atmos speakers in that order. I know its tough to accept, but slow and steady will always get you a better HT :)

Haven't yet jumped the gun, but i do believe in this entirely. To me even getting Good Music and Movie in a same setup seems highly improbable without significant sacrifices at either ends!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back