How to calibrate my TV using Spyder3TV

nshankar

I have just set up my HT and done with calibrating the speakers (with RadioShack SPL meter).

I plan to calibrate my TV using Spyder3TV during the weekend, any tips/help is appreciated. Thanks.

Nshankar,

Whats your TV make & model?

What software and test patterns are you planning to use with Spyder3? Are you familiar with ColorHCFR?

First thing, you are not calibrating only your TV but a system - which includes display, video sources and the room where these are located.

There are a couple of folks who have used spyder before. Do a search and you could PM them if you dont get responses to your thread.

Relatively speaking, Spyder is the most flexible (and obviously more technical). Other options are:

AVIA (Ovation)
Digital Video Essentials (DVE)
Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune Up (co-developed by Ovation and S&V)

The latter two are the least expensive and have everything you need to set up your HDTV. AVIA has some test patterns that the others do not, intended for more technically savvy people.

As a general reference, the following videos are excellent to understand what calibaration is about

Perfect Picture: A professional explains TV calibration

Perfect Picture: 4 steps to DIY TV calibration

Last edited:
Nshankar,

Whats your TV make & model?

What software and test patterns are you planning to use with Spyder3? Are you familiar with ColorHCFR?

My TV is 32" LCD SONY KLV32S310A.

Software and test patterns are what I got with Spyder3. Installed and did a run, it is better than before (that's all I can say now).

I have downloaded and installed ColourHCFR and got it working with my Spyder3 sensor, that's about as far as I have got.

PHET (the storm) has decided to hit us and I am now stuck indoors. As I am getting a HT setup, I wanted to get the sounds and video calibrated.

The sounds I managed with RadioShack SPL, quite satisfied with the 5 speakers that I currently have managed to buy.

The video has been a challenge so far ... any help is appreciated. Thanks.

My TV is 32" LCD SONY KLV32S310A.

Software and test patterns are what I got with Spyder3. Installed and did a run, it is better than before (that's all I can say now).

I have downloaded and installed ColourHCFR and got it working with my Spyder3 sensor, that's about as far as I have got.

PHET (the storm) has decided to hit us and I am now stuck indoors. As I am getting a HT setup, I wanted to get the sounds and video calibrated.

The sounds I managed with RadioShack SPL, quite satisfied with the 5 speakers that I currently have managed to buy.

The video has been a challenge so far ... any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Nshankar,

If I am not wrong, the software that is bundled with Spyder3 will only do basic color correction and not more.

Calibration of a TV is done to ensure that the TV reproduces colors as closely as possible to how it was mastered by movie / video studios. And all movies and videos adhere to a color reproduction standard commonly known as Rec. 709. Simply put, Rec. 709 standard specifies the color bandwidth that should be used to master (movie studios) and reproduce videos (consumer televisions & other display devices). When you calibrate your TV, what you're doing is to make your TV display colors as closely as possible to the Rec.709 standard.

Note the emphasis on as closely as possible - because most of the TV's can only get closer to the Rec. 709 standard and may not fully adhere to it. There are very very few TVs that can fully & faithfully reproduce colors to Rec. 709 standards. This is reality - hence be prepared to accept the fact that during calibration your TV will only get closer to the Rec. 709 standard. However most TVs, when calibrated will get to the 90th percentile of Rec. 709 which by itself will be a drastic improvement over the colors that they produce before calibration.

And before you start calibration, get need to get familiar with your colorimeter, ColorHCFR and understand the test patterns you are going to use. Go through this website to know more about calibration:GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES

I am going through it myself before using my i1 Display 2 LT to calibrate my HDTV. A forewarning though, the writer says that Spyder3 are the least reliable colorimeter due to QC issues and the fact that Spyders are not factory calibrated. However, it is likely that the one you have is a good one.

So, to do a proper calibration, you need the following:

1. A colorimeter - you already have Spyder 3 so you're fine
2. Software to control colorimeter - ColorHCFR is the best out there and it's free
3. A test pattern disc - you can use one of the following test patterns:

Of these three test patterns, the first two are commercial and you will need to purchase them. AVS HD 709 is free and is supported by a very active community in avsforum.

Hope this helps and good luck with your calibration!

Last edited:
First thing, you are not calibrating only your TV but a system - which includes display, video sources and the room where these are located.

There are a couple of folks who have used spyder before. Do a search and you could PM them if you dont get responses to your thread.

Relatively speaking, Spyder is the most flexible (and obviously more technical). Other options are:

AVIA (Ovation)
Digital Video Essentials (DVE)
Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune Up (co-developed by Ovation and S&V)

The latter two are the least expensive and have everything you need to set up your HDTV. AVIA has some test patterns that the others do not, intended for more technically savvy people.

As a general reference, the following videos are excellent to understand what calibaration is about

Perfect Picture: A professional explains TV calibration

Perfect Picture: 4 steps to DIY TV calibration

Thanks marsilians

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back