I cried for new shoes until i saw man without legs..

I dont think so. Airtel SD is equavalently good to tata sky sometimes better. I am the earlier owner of Tatasky SD box , now switched to Airtel HD box.I myself felt PQ is better in Airtel (picture is crisp and clear than tatasky) but signal quality is better in tatasky(no interupption in viewing).

Sometimes i find picture freezes/pixelates in Airtel..since i see this very rare i live with it.

Customer care is bad in Airtel and currently it has very less HD channels comparing to Tata sky.

During the rain Airtel strucks a lot to gain signal and it takes more than 15 minutes to resume some times resumes only after rain, but where in tata sky it used to resume in 5 minutes even in heavy rain and never get disturb.

Anybody observed this? Or this is my satellite direction issue?

fully agree to all your points. i have the same issues thats why even i was planning to shift but now in a fix cause no one seems to be better then the other. sometimes its a right saying: too much knowledge is also not good. here we sit and try to analyise all aspects like pq, sq, cc and all that but miss out on the basic: the fun to watch tv.

so i am also yet to decide what to do...should i continue or get all of my connections to TS

Over the past three months or so, I have observed that the DishTV SD signal has improved in quality considerably.

looks like one will have to get both tested at ones home and see the results and decide :)
may be because the signal strength changes according to geography and also the supplied device quality.
so is there a consensus that Tata and Airtel are the leaders.. the former for North and the latter for South?

I started Sobbing uncontrollably and got very emotional when I saw the title of this thread. I clicked on this thread link expecting a very heart-rendering and part philosophical account of a members sad experience in life. :sad:

And whats this?!!! A discussion geared towards whether one can ogle at and see the pores on Rakhi Sawant's skin better on TS HD or Reliance HD or Airtel? :licklips:

I leave this thread sobbing even more vigorously at the bad sense of analogy the OP has ... no no ... perhaps imagining Rakhi Sawant without legs? :rolleyes:

--G

LOL.... same here Gobble.... thought something interesting but same old story .... just a sad murder of an interesting and intelligent subject line. By the way is the discussion of PQ of DTH operators justified in a forum like this. Because in this context very often we provide our personal perceptiveness like "feel pity for those who own it" ( on TS this time) which is a mere exaggeration of the real fact to me. No offence intended but these doesnt fit well in an extremely matured and informative forum like this. I hate to recommend a 'team BHP' here but ....... you never know......

After reading all this I'm really confused as to which hd should i opt for. So I have arrived at a decision: wait for a few months more.

I dont think so. Airtel SD is equavalently good to tata sky sometimes better. I am the earlier owner of Tatasky SD box , now switched to Airtel HD box.I myself felt PQ is better in Airtel (picture is crisp and clear than tatasky) but signal quality is better in tatasky(no interupption in viewing).

Sometimes i find picture freezes/pixelates in Airtel..since i see this very rare i live with it.

Customer care is bad in Airtel and currently it has very less HD channels comparing to Tata sky.

During the rain Airtel strucks a lot to gain signal and it takes more than 15 minutes to resume some times resumes only after rain, but where in tata sky it used to resume in 5 minutes even in heavy rain and never get disturb.

Anybody observed this? Or this is my satellite direction issue?

well ditto mate....

i too had TATA Sky before, now I'm on ADTV-HD. you are right and VERY ACCURATE abt the behaviour of both of the service providers during monsoon. hope after shifting over to SES7 the problem would have been resolved! but, to check that, we'll have to wait for the rain god to be appeased.

P.S. can't comment regd PQ comparision, as I used to have the good old SONY TRINITRON CRT while I was using TATA Sky. Then got Airtel along with Panny Plasma as TATA was very costly as compared to Airtel. But I can surely say that Airtel CC is way too slacky and down right rubbish as compared to tata.

bet me... don't repent after buying tata.. i recommend reliance or airtel..if regional movie lover then choice is only and only sun direct as it offers telugu+tamil+kannada=malayalam in basic pack......
tata receiver i liked but not the pic quality... this is my advice.. preferences vary.. check out yourself..

I am a long time TS user. Have had TS since 2007 jan. Over the years, the quality of their SD channels has gone from great to quite bad. And the SQ of some of the SD channels is extremely bad.

My first HD STB was a Dish TruHD box. I used that box for 2 months and I never bothered to renew the account. The Dish HD STB used to hang up on me all the time and had various issues with HDMI sync. But the PQ of the HD channels was very good. For SD, I used my SD TS box which I got upscaled using my AVR to 1080p. This to me was better looking than what the Dish STB provided.

After I got the TS+HD box, I noticed that the SD channels upscaled to 1080i using the TS+HD STB looked as good/bad as the TS SD STB upscaled using my AVR. But the HD channels while they do look good on the surface, suffer from reduced quality on the TS system. This reduced quality can be seen on scenes with a lot of motion (e.g. scenes on Discovery HD showing aerial shots panning over rio de janeiro).

At my office we have a Dish SD STB and i have tried to compare the SQ & PQ of Dish's SD service with that of TS and observed these things:
1. TS SD channels have very poor SQ in general, while Dish does not suffer from this
2. TS SD channels show a lot of motion compression artifacts, while Dish typically does not show this. In 2007 when I got my original TS SD box, the situation was the other way around.
3. TS SD presents a smoother picture which robs it of some detail, but it looks more pleasing to me. Dish SD has more details, but it suffers from more blocking artifacts.

Overall, I would not rate TS very high on SQ or PQ, but I am still a happy satisfied customer of TS. The main reason for that is that over the past 4+ years of using TS, I have never faced a single issue that was not resolved to my satisfaction. In general I have rarely faced any issues with TS. The UI on the TS SD & HD+ boxes are great and unlike a lot of DTH providers, the guides on TS are pretty accurate.

The PQ & SQ for HD feeds is good enough for me and if I want the best in PQ & SQ, I watch a bluray or a downloaded 1080p rip. The quality of even a 4GB 720p bluray rip is in general significantly better than what any of the HD DTH providers give. The quality difference between Dish HD & TS+HD are marginal compared to the difference between both of these and a BluRay or even a 720p rip.

-- no1lives4ever

During rain mostly we switch off all the electronic device and unplug them to protect from lightning.I am wondering is it safe to view TV or using computer for browsing during heavy rain.

During rain mostly we switch off all the electronic device and unplug them to protect from lightning.I am wondering is it safe to view TV or using computer for browsing during heavy rain.
ya 99% people switch off tv...here electricity goes off at times of rain....

fully agree to all your points. i have the same issues thats why even i was planning to shift but now in a fix cause no one seems to be better then the other. sometimes its a right saying: too much knowledge is also not good. here we sit and try to analyise all aspects like pq, sq, cc and all that but miss out on the basic: the fun to watch tv.

so i am also yet to decide what to do...should i continue or get all of my connections to TS

My suggestion is stick with what you have. Other than sun direct ( In Sun direct connection iam seeing lot of complaints service interruptions /bad picture clarity , pathetic CC..etc.
) i dont think other DTH services are not that bad and Tata sky is not the best as well and. It has +ves like customer care, it has very good looking UI in the box..etc -ve they charge more and less regional channels. Otherwise its same like other DTH. Now a days i am seeing little bit improvement on signal quality improvement in Airtel. Not noticing the picture freezing problem even rarely.

Last edited:
:)
Yes We do. But if we are watching something interestingly even heavy rain comes we wont stop. It happened to me most of the time.

I have one doubt if there anything happen to airtel dvr or tata sky dvr who will take care of that.whether dth company will do repair work and bear the cost or we have to spend money to repair(buy new dvr if it is unrepairable).Since we don't own dvr they are charging amount for providing service only so that dth providers should take care of the hardware I guess so.

I believe the last GSLV failure has impacted the plans of all the DTH providers.

FAILURE: Indian GSLV fails during launch with GSAT-5P satellite | NASASpaceFlight.com

SKY is the top cable provider in the UK with about 50+ HD channels.. So the Tata+SKY patnership should benefit from this at least on paper. if it provides more regional channels, I believe it will surely be the winner.

Not sure if the last PSLV has launched any telecommunication satellite

I believe the last GSLV failure has impacted the plans of all the DTH providers.

FAILURE: Indian GSLV fails during launch with GSAT-5P satellite | NASASpaceFlight.com

SKY is the top cable provider in the UK with about 50+ HD channels.. So the Tata+SKY patnership should benefit from this at least on paper. if it provides more regional channels, I believe it will surely be the winner.

Not sure if the last PSLV has launched any telecommunication satellite

Tatasky needs to provide more regional channels. There are only 5-6 malayalam channels while others provide 12 -13 channels.

I have one doubt if there anything happen to airtel dvr or tata sky dvr who will take care of that.whether dth company will do repair work and bear the cost or we have to spend money to repair(buy new dvr if it is unrepairable).Since we don't own dvr they are charging amount for providing service only so that dth providers should take care of the hardware I guess so.

All STBs carry a warranty of 1 year which is usually provided by vendor.

Talking of rain outage - I NEVER switch off my TV. Its an old myth when we used those TV antennas which were susceptible to lightning to be passed to the TV. Atleast I don't use such antennas anymore :)

My TS+HD gives outage of about an hour which is a big concern. They are going to install it at my terrace. Hopefully that will resolve this issue to a great extent. My Dish TV connection never had such issue and used to be out only for a few seconds just before rain or at the start and used to come back and was practically flawless after that.

I have TATA SKY HD+ and I love the picture quality and the sound quality of the HD. There is an issue with the HDMI audio and everyone knows about it.

I don't think moving the antenna to the roof is going to help you. I have two antennas on top of my roof now(Tatasky+ and Tatasky HD+). When the outage happened to me, i thought they have fixed the new antenna wrongly. So I removed one of the cable from the HD+ antenna and connected a cable from Tatasky+ cable(I have total of 4 cable coming near to my STB). It actually improved the reception and was giving less outage. I am not sure doing the same is going to work for everyone. My be you can try if you have two antennas.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back