I cried for new shoes until i saw man without legs..

Many times the fault is very simple - a misalignment that reduces the signal strength. It would be wise to have an AMC on the DTH connection and check alignments once a year.

Quite heavy rains in Pune this week but I never had outage on tata sky. Seems Tata sky guys troubling Prankey very often. Boss must do some settle ment with tatasky otherwise they will keep troubling you ;)

All STBs carry a warranty of 1 year which is usually provided by vendor.

Talking of rain outage - I NEVER switch off my TV. Its an old myth when we used those TV antennas which were susceptible to lightning to be passed to the TV. Atleast I don't use such antennas anymore :)

I already heard about one year warranty thing, my question is if we buy any product we are getting warranty for a particular period but hear they are providing service and getting nonrefundable security deposit for STB (like renting modem from broadband service provider) so I guess it is service providers responsibility to repair and give us working product since they are the owner of the product.

I was also not caring much about lightning even though I heard in our area tvs linked to cable network and telephone instruments damaged because of lightning.One fine day while I was browsing my motherboard and modem damaged because of lightning from that time onwards I am giving extra attention to lightning.

Quite heavy rains in Pune this week but I never had outage on tata sky. Seems Tata sky guys troubling Prankey very often. Boss must do some settle ment with tatasky otherwise they will keep troubling you ;)

I also stay in Pune and didn't see any rain outage on TataSky. I wasn't watching 24x7, so it's only for my late evening hours. On the other hand I did see it on 2 successive evenings last week when we had less rain and more thunderstorms. I have observed the same with DishTV as well over the years. It's difficult to predict exact conditions under which we'll see rain outage. It's associated, although not always present with heavy rains and thunderstorms.

I also stay in Pune and didn't see any rain outage on TataSky. I wasn't watching 24x7, so it's only for my late evening hours. On the other hand I did see it on 2 successive evenings last week when we had less rain and more thunderstorms. I have observed the same with DishTV as well over the years. It's difficult to predict exact conditions under which we'll see rain outage. It's associated, although not always present with heavy rains and thunderstorms.
Thunderstorms (with rain or without) are more likely to disrupt the service because of intense ionization of the atmosphere around.

Hehe, you bet! I have anyway worked full time for them to fix certain issues which we were witnessing for months. They say its "normal" to get rain outage for 1 hour and till the time its raining, it will be there! That is something really bothering me as I could not imagine outage for hours if it rains for that much time! Today it rained heavily for few minutes, however I just got corruption of signals for few minutes and no outage. Seems they seems to have fixed something in their TPs. Fingers crossed as I have the engineer's visit scheduled for tomorrow.

Even I am reluctant to get the Dish Installed at the common terrace of our apartment, however, outage bothers my TS+HD most as it STOPS the RECORDING permanently if the outage is for more than few minutes (doesn't resume even after outage is gone).

i also have the same issue, both rdtv and TS hd working as rain detectors and also prolonged outages when rains.
TSHD signal quality/strength is 60-65% and myTS lnb/dish is 5 year old. Sent them a mail 10 days ago describing all these and asked them if they have some solution like large dish at a cost i am willing to pay .
Still waiting for the "elusive engineer" phone call. TS cc guys called several times checking whether the engineer called or not but looks like they have only one engineer for the entire state, since last time time also it took 7-8 days for the engineer to respond

i will ask the same question to rdtv later but it is not a priority now for me as TS

TSHD signal quality/strength is 60-65%
That's too low. I have always got at least 80% signal quality and strength for DishTV, DishTVHD, TataSky HD. In case of most transponders of a satellite it's around 90%. This is with dishes of both sizes (old SD and new HD).

These numbers are from Pune. You should get at least as good a signal in Cochin, which is closer to equator.

i have been telling that to them for quite sometime, but TS guys doesnot think so,
As per them if i am able to see picture then signal quality/strength is good enough

The signal strength can be increased by correct alignment of the dish which may have gone wonky in this case; reasons could be any, from a big bird like eagle or vulture etc sitting and taking off from the dish, a tug from playing kids, monkey testing it's dislodging skills etc.

I had to shift my residence just two months after installing TS. The distributor misled me into believing that shifting is free. I got a shock when they said it would cost me Rs. 1000/- Annoyed, I dismantled the dish and re-installed myself. Initial alignment was done observing neighbour's dish. Later, I did fine tuning by taking the TV onto the terrace and made adjustments and could achieve 85% signal strength.

Worked well till my kid ripped off the cable in frustration during a rain outage which ripped the connector off the PCB. When I called TS for repair, imagine the shock when I was told that I need to pay the shifting charges, technician's visit charges which was working out to 1500 plus cost of the components.:mad:

I took the PCB and did some jugad (desi modification) by soldering a connector taken out of 5amp plug but that lasted barely a couple of months when my kid doing the ripping trick again. That ended my relationship with TS.

el Capitano, It is not just TS who have the deplorable practice. Just about everybody.
It's really being done by DTH field support companies. DTH companies are just conveniently ignoring it.

Yeah you are right. Unlike US where customer is the king, here customer is considered an Ass due to the active connivance of powers that be.

To be more specific about how different the scenario in the US is - US companies ensure that the quality of service as advertised is met by field support staff. If not they very likely face lawsuits. So there is no doubt about quality of service. However they do charge a premium for anyone not fitting in the standard installation. The premium is usually hefty - 5+ times the standard installation. Note that shifting of home isn't a standard installation case. An anology is - many people keep paying old mobile plans even after shifting because of heavy fines for a premature closure of a plan.

I got the dish installed on terrace last evening and guess what? another reduction of more than 10% signal than what I was getting from balcony! TS engineer says even if we get 25% signals, it will give 100% quality without issue. He just failed to understand that if I get 70% signals on their strongest TP in clear weather, it will certainly go lower than 25% during rains resulting in prolonged outage. After stern insistence, he got his colleague try doing some realignment which did not result in any boost. He even suggested that now he can't install the Dish back to Balcony as it has taken time and efforts to install at terrace :)

So earlier I was getting 200 and 223 signal strength (out of 255 max), now its only 180 and 200 from Terrace (5th floor, absolutely clear sky view). TS just don't want to accept that it is due to this low signal strength we are facing more outage during rains.

EDIT - Can rest of us using TS+HD share their signal strength by going to "organiser" > "System Settings" > press 0101 and then "select" (brings hidden menu) > Satellite Settings > "select" TWICE

My Dish HD STB was giving more than 80% signal strength on all TPs (infactly mostly beyond 90% till 94%). On TS we can only check strength of the strongest TP for channel 100 which is another limitation, no idea how much we are getting on other TPs which are even weaker than the home TP on TS.

Last edited:
TS engineer says even if we get 25% signals, it will give 100% quality without issue. QUOTE]

Ditto here. I have accepted the fact that neither TS or RDTV is going to help in this matter.So inspite of having two connections on same TV couldnot watch anything these days as its always raining or cloudy here. same goes for other rooms.

Is there any other way to resolve this?like getting a bigger dish.any pointers welcome

Last edited:
TS engineer says even if we get 25% signals, it will give 100% quality without issue.

Ditto here. I have accepted the fact that neither TS or RDTV is going to help in this matter.So inspite of having two connections on same TV couldnot watch anything these days as its always raining or cloudy here. same goes for other rooms.

Is there any other way to resolve this?like getting a bigger dish.any pointers welcome

Escalate to nodal officers clearly highlighting these facts. Do you also have TS+HD? This issue might be related to TS+HD (could be bad reception by STB or that mesh antenna).

Nevertheless, don't agree for paying to fix basic service issues like this. Point to this thread or I'm so glad I have Tata Sky during monsoon - Tata Sky Help Forum (Videocon D2H, Dish TV, Airtel/Reliance Digital, Sun DTH, DD Direct Plus discussion)

Even if you need a bigger antenna, it would hardly cost them anything as per them "Dish Antenna" is TS property and hence comes FREE to us! Sometimes they even leave Dish Antenna behind while shifting connection.

People even claim they get 100% signals on their STB's and hence practically no outage during overcast weather!!

Last edited:

Size of a dish depends on frequency of transmission. Bigger dish will result only in a marginal improvement in signal strength, if at all noticeable.

Pointing dish correctly to TS satellite is the only way to improve signal quality. Perhaps you can try that yourself by shifting it a little each time. Have someone send you feedback over a mobile phone from your home.

Pointing dish correctly to TS satellite is the only way to improve signal quality. Perhaps you can try that yourself by shifting it a little each time. Have someone send you feedback over a mobile phone from your home.

This is easier said than done. I waited for night fall and took the TV to the terrace. Could achieve 85% signal strength.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back