In complete dilemma..Need help Guys

Karanboochra

Hey..
I am in complete dilemma on how to connect the LCD TV to the power Plugs..
I have two types of power plugs near the LCD -
One is the normal 5 point power switch with 5.5A Written on it...

Other is a big 6 point power switch with 5.5A written on it..
I was using this big switch to connect the LCD TV and the Xbox 360 together with the help of an extension switch... ( Kind of like an extension cord )

But when i connect the LCD TV and XBOX 360 together with the 6 point big power switch ( RIGHT PICTURE ) , a SPARK comes out... And the switch has become a bit black also...

So i am thinking of connecting the LCD TV to the 5 POINT power switch ( LEFT PICTURE ) and connecting the XBOX 360 to the 6 point big power switch..So that 1 switch doesn't get overloaded by Both the things..

But the problem is..i am not sure if i can connect the LCD to the 5 POINT small switch as i am thinking it wants more power and has to be connected to the BIG switch..
Am i wrong ? Can the LCD TV be connected to the 5 point small power switch?
Also..the small 5 point power switch is automatic.. ie , it doesn't require a Button to switch it on / off..Just plug it , it will power on , take out the plug , it will power off..

Help Guys..I know what ive written is very confusing.. :p
Thanks ..Waiting for your suggestions :)

Attachments

• 03072010438.jpg
    03072010438.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 03072010439.jpg
    03072010439.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 262
check the wattage of both the items (LCD & x box). Connect the item with the higher wattage to the bigger plug point & the item with lower wattage to the smaller plug point. hope this helps

Arvind

Get the plug points properly checked for any short circuits/loose connections. Usually there should not be any sparks for normal loads.

Loose connections kills the delicate circuits of the digital electronics due to constant miniature sparking.

The spark is not because of the load, its because of some loose connection or malfunction, Get the plug point replaced and the problem should be solved ......

Get a multi meter check the earthing neutral and output voltage from the plugs . Get a good MX surge/spike with RFI/EMI filters with individual switches... and plug the LCD .

I browsed through the site...I am confused between these 3 -

MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac
Has RFI/EMI filter, Has individual switches , Noise filter is there,No Individual Fuse, just ONE FUSE

OR

MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac
Does not have RFI/EMI Filter...Has individual switches and Individual FUSES.?

What is RFI/EMI Filter? And i want to connect LCD TV , XBOX 360 , Laptop Charger and maybe a Mobile Charger to it..Will these be able to handle it ?
Please help me choose between the two..Thanks :)

Well what size lcd tv do you have the 5A socket can handle a load of around 1000watts.
Which more then enough for your current load.
Also how old is your house does the electric cables good ones or some elcheapo ones.

The sparks mostly is due to loose contact,but how where you able to connect both the XBOX and lcd tv in a single power socket,lcd tv has a 3 pin socket,which will cover the entire socket.

THose RFI/EMI won't solve your problem,it will only provide you the ability to connect multiple items.
I have the same MX branded spike buster but the one which comes with 6 switches/sockets/fuse .If the cables are loose sparks still come.

@ Adder - My LCD has a 2 point plug and NOT 3 ... Is it weird? I just bought it a week ago..
Also..I used a 2 way socket ( A type of a square extension plug which has points in the upward direction and at the center..) I connected the xbox and the lcd tv through it in a single power point..

Size of LCD TV - 32" Sony EX 400

@ Adder - My LCD has a 2 point plug and NOT 3 ... Is it weird? I just bought it a week ago..
Also..I used a 2 way socket ( A type of a square extension plug which has points in the upward direction and at the center..) I connected the xbox and the lcd tv through it in a single power point..

Which book says LCDs should only have 3 point plug :rolleyes: my Sony LCD 3year old has a 2 point plug :cool:

So i am thinking of connecting the LCD TV to the 5 POINT power switch ( LEFT PICTURE ) and connecting the XBOX 360 to the 6 point big power switch..So that 1 switch doesn't get overloaded by Both the things..

But the problem is..i am not sure if i can connect the LCD to the 5 POINT small switch as i am thinking it wants more power and has to be connected to the BIG switch..
Am i wrong ? Can the LCD TV be connected to the 5 point small power switch?
Also..the small 5 point power switch is automatic.. ie , it doesn't require a Button to switch it on / off..Just plug it , it will power on , take out the plug , it will power off..

You could try purchasing a normal UPS, the kind used with computers. I think those are pretty safe and stabilize the voltage. Otherwise try using a spike buster with a fuse. In case of sudden voltage surge the fuse will trip and protect your electronic items.

2 pin is normal these days.
I believe the culprit is the el cheapo extension plug.

In that case get the MX spike buster or the cheaper socket extender but has no switch.

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys..

One more problem i am seeing is that .. Whenever there is a black colored picture displaying on the lcd, i can see 3 or 4 vertical lines ( dark black colored ) on the left hand side of the LCD...

I can only see it when i am very close to the LCD and when there is a complete black picture ( like the one when switching on the LCD with the sony LOGO )

Is there any problem? And is there any way to fix it ? I bought it from GREY market so no warranty..
Also...Why is this happening?

Thanks!

^^ Post a pic for the same, in all probability it is nothing to worry about ......

Thanks alot guys..

One more problem i am seeing is that .. Whenever there is a black colored picture displaying on the lcd, i can see 3 or 4 vertical lines ( dark black colored ) on the left hand side of the LCD...

I can only see it when i am very close to the LCD and when there is a complete black picture ( like the one when switching on the LCD with the sony LOGO )

Is there any problem? And is there any way to fix it ? I bought it from GREY market so no warranty..
Also...Why is this happening?

Thanks!

When is that showing up ... while watching TV / Any other media play ? If only TV try playing some original good DVD content or compare from channel to channel ....

try to see some pictures(images) from TV using a USB drive or something..

I believe you aren't using a stabilizer,get one first.As other said check with other source and post some images.
In india voltages above 250v are quite common which is higher then most operating voltage of tvs which are at 240v,in bangalore at night times the voltages goes occasionaly peak at 270v,the highest voltage i have measured is 301v.So getting a stabilizer is higly recommended.

^^ Post a pic for the same, in all probability it is nothing to worry about ......

Tried clicking ...It doesn't show in the pics...

When is that showing up ... while watching TV / Any other media play ? If only TV try playing some original good DVD content or compare from channel to channel ....

try to see some pictures(images) from TV using a USB drive or something..

It does not show when playing any media ( Tata Sky , Movies through laptop , XBOX ) .. It only shows when there is a COMPLETE black picture playing on the LCD ( For eg , when the TV Starts with the Sony Logo , the 3 lines are visible in the left side of the LCD and is only viewable if i am very close to the LCD and at a certain angle ..The lines run from top to bottom and are black in color )
Also , it shows when there is a NO SIGNAL Black colored screen ( If i go to the PC option in the TV and PC is not connected..The screen is completely black ..It is viewable at that time..

I believe you aren't using a stabilizer,get one first.As other said check with other source and post some images.
In india voltages above 250v are quite common which is higher then most operating voltage of tvs which are at 240v,in bangalore at night times the voltages goes occasionaly peak at 270v,the highest voltage i have measured is 301v.So getting a stabilizer is higly recommended.

Ill get a stablilizer soon..Can this problem be related to the fluctuation of the voltage?
Also.. There is a mess of wires going to power plugs and A/V outputs on the LEFT side of the TV..Like VGA to VGA from laptop , 3.5mm Audio Jack to laptop , Component cables of XBOX , Tata Sky Composite connection and many chargers like of Cell phones , Laptop etc..

Can this be interfering with the LCD and showing the lines?

Please help guys..Also..can this get worsen? Or is it gonna stay like that?

Tried clicking ...It doesn't show in the pics...

It does not show when playing any media ( Tata Sky , Movies through laptop , XBOX ) .. It only shows when there is a COMPLETE black picture playing on the LCD ( For eg , when the TV Starts with the Sony Logo , the 3 lines are visible in the left side of the LCD and is only viewable if i am very close to the LCD and at a certain angle ..The lines run from top to bottom and are black in color )
Also , it shows when there is a NO SIGNAL Black colored screen ( If i go to the PC option in the TV and PC is not connected..The screen is completely black ..It is viewable at that time..

Ill get a stablilizer soon..Can this problem be related to the fluctuation of the voltage?
Also.. There is a mess of wires going to power plugs and A/V outputs on the LEFT side of the TV..Like VGA to VGA from laptop , 3.5mm Audio Jack to laptop , Component cables of XBOX , Tata Sky Composite connection and many chargers like of Cell phones , Laptop etc..

Can this be interfering with the LCD and showing the lines?

Please help guys..Also..can this get worsen? Or is it gonna stay like that?
How many pixels those lines occupy or in other words whats the width of the lines in pixels or in MM.
Well i am not sure if those other a/v ,power wires will play any role in this.
Also do you get a mild shock in touching those A/V wires like composite/component.

Voltage fluctuation can cause all kind of problems.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back