Is it time to sell my CRT ?

naren2512

Friends,

I am trying to find an answer to a simple question ... Whether the time has come to sell my CRT :)

May be you guys can help me decide it.

Currently I have below components :

1) 29" Onida Oxythunder flat screen CRT
2) Tata Sky DTH ( non Hd.. may go for HD later )
3) Vediocon Cheapo DVD player
4) Onkyo 608 AVR
5) HTPC ( Blue ray drive yet to be added )
6) Speakers ( WIP - will buy bookshelves in a month's time)

Usage of CRT - ( 10% movies, 90% TV watching ) post my HTS is setup the usage may change to ( 30% Movies, 70 % TV watching )

I had thought I will setup my HTS first and use it with my CRT for a few months and then decide to upgrade from CRT to Plasma / LCD/ LED. However recently I learnt that if i want to use CRT I cant connect HDMI at all.. which means that I cant even use my HTPC because it can only send audio & video signal only via HDMI so this is what made me think " whether its time to say good bye to CRT "

But the problem is most of the TV channels are still in SD and SD content and CRT is best for the same, while Full HD Plasma might be a very good option for movie watching and any HD channels ( which are very few currently )

The options that I am thinking about are :

1) Sell CRT, Buy a 42" Plasma ( Panna 42V20 ) - cost approx 60K INR

Advantages in my view
+ Can start enjoying my HTS to its fullest very soon
+ Better Movie watching experience due to HD PQ and bigger screen size than CRT
+ can upgrade my Tata Sky conn to HD conn and enjoy HD channels too

Dis-advantages can be

- SD content quality might deteriorate as CRT is best for this ( but to what extent it will deteriorate i am not sure)

2) Retain CRT, buy a projector by October 11. - cost approx 75- 80K INR ( can buy projector form US)

Advantages
+ Best SD quality while watching TV
+ Best movie experience due to bigger size of the projector screen ( than plasma)

Dis-advantages
- Costlier than option one
- Cant watch HD channels as it may not be a good idea to watch TV on projector, specially so because my parents mostly watch TV and may not be able to
understand how projector works etc
- CRT and Projector in same living hall may look lil weird combination ;)

3) Sell CRT, Buy Plasma screen add projector later ( when my pocket gets heavier )

- main dis-advantage here is same of SD content not being so good on anything other than CRT

As you can see its a little confusing situation for me... So your suggestions / views will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all to have read this patiently and in anticipation of some good suggestions :)

Regards,
Naren

Last edited:
I think you should retain your CRT if you like the quality and look to buy a FULL HD Projector like the one launched by BENQ recently.. You could watch HD (including DTH like Sanjay does) thru the projector and keep the CRT for SD viewing or as a second TV.

I would advice you to immediately upgrade from the crt seeing today's evolving market. I was in the same boat as you a few month's back and was reluctant to let go of my trusted old 29 incher; but now I am more than happy that I took the plunge; The picture quality on the HDTV (Samsung 40" LED UA40D5000) is breathtaking to say the least and now with popular channels like Star Movies, Star World, Star Plus, Star Gold, Discovery and National Geographic and most importantly watching the cricket broadcast on Star Cricket/ESPN and Max in "HD" is a different experience all together. More HD channels to be added each month, so HD broadcast is the future... SD broadcast also doesnt look too bad on them (like I like to watch SAB TV a lot) either...

For your HT requirements I would advice you to go in for a good media player with 2TB hard disk (like e.g. Playon HD PVR or similar) as today's day and age is of digital rips and there is no need for a dedicated bluray player (you may add an external one as an accessory to your media player at a later date). A projector may also be added up at a later date for those true movie watching experience with a group of buddies...

Best of luck on your mission and hope to see you on a good hdtv of your choice asap... you wont regret it...

Last edited:
Getting a better Display is always good as you can enjoy your setup in better way.Now as you watch 90% DTH & 10% movies,then selling a CRT(which you like)is not a good idea.As you are thinking of projector,I will say you will enjoy it more than Plasma.
If you need all in one then Plasma is the correct one.
My personal liking will be Projector.:)

Getting a better Display is always good as you can enjoy your setup in better way.Now as you watch 90% DTH & 10% movies,then selling a CRT(which you like)is not a good idea.As you are thinking of projector,I will say you will enjoy it more than Plasma.
If you need all in one then Plasma is the correct one.
My personal liking will be Projector.:)

Hmmm that makes sense... now the problem with this is i wont be able to buy projector immediately.. is there a way by which i can play movies from my HTPC on my CRT ? ( The reason i am asking this is the card is same as yours and only way it can supply audio / video signals is via HDMI...and that will result in no output via any cable other than HDMI from AVR ) :(

regards,
Naren

There are two ways.
1.If your AVR can route/downscale HDMI signals to Video/component,that will be better idea.
2.5570 DVI/D-sub can be connected to component/video in of CRT(if any)with adapter-

In second option,you can set Video out(extend)to CRT & audio out via HDMI to AVR(select as primary sound driver)
Catalyst 10.2 is good ATI driver.

Last edited:
Hi Naren,

My personal opinion is as follows:
  • SD-TV is best viewed on CRT. It will be a while before all channels are available on HD (true HD, I mean; and not like the bogus DishTV ones).
  • Even if the above happens, for some years to come, we shall continue to get SD. And God knows what will be the price of watching all channels on HD.
  • Projector is better suited to watch movies. I find watching DTH on projector is a "turn off" after some time. But for movies? I never watch my movies (DVD/BD) on CRT TV. Moreover, projector room need to be dimmed (almost dark) to be enjoyed.
  • If you sell your existing 29" CRT, you will get a max of 6K.
Having considered all of the above, my 2 cents are as below:
  1. Retain CRT and buy a plasma. Move the CRT to living room and plasma to bedroom or vice versa.
  2. Upgrade your HT first:
    - you have a good AVR so buy good matching speakers such as KEF or Paradigm
    - buy a good BD player or add a BD-drive to your HTPC
  3. Go for projector later when budget permits. At this moment, your HT system will not do justice to a projector.

Last edited:
Whats the use of a HD LCD TV when most of our TV transmission is SD and few so called "untrue" HD.

If you have decent Blu Ray collection or downloaded HD Files then get a HDTV but if you plan to watch regular DTH than CRT is more than enough.........

I disagree with many people here. I feel sorry for the OP as he is not getting the proper advice. If you are a cricket lover then you should definitely go in for HDTV. The quality of the World Cup and IPL matches is in True HD and is a far cry from what you get to see on normal CRT. Just see it once on a good HDTV to believe it. Also once you watch the HD content of Star Plus and other channels I have mentioned in my post earlier (specifically on Tata SKY + HD; cant comment about other service providers) you would never like to go back to a SDTV/CRT. And once the option of watching HD movies via a Media Player/HTPC comes in the picture there is no option but to junk the old CRT immediately or at least transfer it to some other room.

Best of luck to the OP to make a balanced decision...

Last edited:
No one said that "do not go for DTH-HD". The debate is purely about whether to sell or retain the CRT.

In my own post, I said that there are very few true HD channels. So we shall be watching SD channels for a year or two. And SD channels are best viewed on CRT.

I agree with you that HD is worth it and once you watch HD, you can't go back to SD.

I am going to be making my first TV purchase soon ... to watch documentaries (not Cable) and its going to be a ... CRT if I can find the new Samsung D650 in the market.

I plan to collect all the great SD content out there incl. Doordarshan documentaries on Archeology and Tribal life and I dont see a point in using HD TV with its poor SD image quality. Besides I can make a bargain in purchasing 420p content whose prices will crash compare to Blu-Ray. The Oppo can always upscale when I purchase an HDTV later.

This will also allow me to postpone purchasing an HDTV until OLED TV prices crash and product choices are many and a few models gain a reputation and following over months after launch (like the V20D). I already have the Dell 2409WFP if I need HD.

So it would depend on the content you own and plan to watch, I would say

Cheers

^
fascinating point of view... for which I have no answer... totally stumped... lolz

if the op is into dooordarshan documentaries, he shudnt be thinking of hdtv anytime soon...

Naren, you mean to say you are yet hanging on to your CRT? I remember telling you nearly 18 months ago to sell it off and grow up to a flat panel. Man, do it quickly.

Just pulling your leg. :)

Cheers

spot on... you never know when extra TV/monitor becomes handy :)

Hi Naren,

1. Retain CRT and buy a plasma. Move the CRT to living room and plasma to bedroom or vice versa.
  3. Go for projector later when budget permits. At this moment, your HT system will not do justice to a projector.

Naren, you mean to say you are yet hanging on to your CRT? I remember telling you nearly 18 months ago to sell it off and grow up to a flat panel. Man, do it quickly.

Just pulling your leg. :)

Cheers

heheh ....Until I read your last line I was wondering.. how can it be possible that you told me to sell off my CRT 18 months ago when i was not even a HFV member at that time.... n then i read your last line and it brought a smile to my face :)

So Venkat sir, what would you suggest?

Option 1, 2 or 3 ? :)

Regards,
Narender Sachdev

Hi Naren,

My personal opinion is as follows:
  • SD-TV is best viewed on CRT. It will be a while before all channels are available on HD (true HD, I mean; and not like the bogus DishTV ones).
  • Even if the above happens, for some years to come, we shall continue to get SD. And God knows what will be the price of watching all channels on HD.
  • Projector is better suited to watch movies. I find watching DTH on projector is a "turn off" after some time. But for movies? I never watch my movies (DVD/BD) on CRT TV. Moreover, projector room need to be dimmed (almost dark) to be enjoyed.
  • If you sell your existing 29" CRT, you will get a max of 6K.
Having considered all of the above, my 2 cents are as below:

Hey just4kix,

Thanks for the help but the problem is I cant keep CRT and Plasma both in my living room and neither can i move either of them to my bed room... there is no space for CRT in my bed room and 42" Plasma will make the room look smaller :) and other thing is it will take time for me to buy Projector if at all i buy and untill then i wont be able to enjoy by HT in living room with CRT !!

Regards,
Naren

... there is no space for CRT in my bed room and ... i wont be able to enjoy by HT in living room with CRT !!

Regards,
Naren

There is space in my bedroom for a CRT just in case :eek:hyeah:
I know I shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth but .. Is this a 100hz? :D

--G

You can go for the plasma and HD DTH(of a provider that suits you). Watch SD channels in 4:3 aspect ratio to give you the CRT feel(almost) and HD in 16:9(this is my personal suggestion as you are concerned about SD content on it and they are meant to be in 4:3 aspect ratio).

Projectors have limited lamp life, assuming lamp life of 1000hrs(companies claim 2000 hrs) and average viewing of 6 hrs/day it would last only around ~6 months. Lamps are expensive to replace so keep that in mind.

If you have space keep the CRT otherwise sell it away(you wont get much anyways).

Hey just4kix,

Thanks for the help but the problem is I cant keep CRT and Plasma both in my living room and neither can i move either of them to my bed room... there is no space for CRT in my bed room and 42" Plasma will make the room look smaller :) and other thing is it will take time for me to buy Projector if at all i buy and untill then i wont be able to enjoy by HT in living room with CRT !!

Regards,
Naren
In that case, sell the CRT and buy the plasma.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back