Is it worth upgrading my Onkyo 3300 ?

ItsMe

All,

I have an Onkyo HTS3300 , with upgraded speakers (Polk CC, Onkyo towers, surrounds and a powered sub). Its primarily used for movies, in a small dedicated acoustically treated room and I am enjoying it thoroughly. Sources are BR player, media player, xbox, chromecast and Videocon D2H.
Now the upgrade bug is hitting me hard, and thinking of upgrading to Denon x2200w or Marantz NR1606 or pioneer vsx1131. And the million dollar question in mind is 'Will it improve my movie watching experience?' I know I will get 7 channel, atmos, dtx etc, but since most of present BRs are in 5.1 , will spending 50k on upgrade really improve my experience over onkyo 3300?
Can experts help me with answers?

Last edited:
All,

I have an Onkyo HTS3300 , with upgraded speakers (Polk CC, Onkyo towers, surrounds and a powered sub). Its primarily used for movies, in a small dedicated acoustically treated room and I am enjoying it thoroughly. Sources are BR player, media player, xbox, chromecast and Videocon D2H.
Now the upgrade bug is hitting me hard, and thinking of upgrading to Denon x2200w or Marantz NR1606 or pioneer vsx1131. And the million dollar question in mind is 'Will it improve my movie watching experience?' I know I will get 7 channel, atmos, dtx etc, but since most of present BRs are in 5.1 , will spending 50k on upgrade really improve my experience over onkyo 3300?

May be not.. Even if it all, it would be marginal..So hold off for an other 2 -3 yrs atleast until 9.2 AVR's get more affordable say around the price point of 1131..

Get to 5.1.4 setup saving than upgrading now..

Unless your content moves to Atmos, DTS X or even HD Audio, you'll not hear anything different. Trust me, I upgraded and cannot really hear anything different from my previous setup. Now I'm a believer in investing in good speakers and buying a mid-fi AVR every 3-4 years... the formats are changing so much it does not make sense in spending much on electronics. A good speaker package however... something like M&K Sound is worth investing in, will last for years.

All,

What are you currently missing in your setup? If the upgrade films that, then its worthwhile, else not. I am not aware of enough atmos content to justify the additional expense.

Thank you all for your inputs. I will quench my upgrade thirst with an HTPC now. Will wait for another year or two, until 11.2 becomes affordable which can be used for 7.2.4 channel setup.

Hi

Yes ...makes sense......better to wait and buy something which will fulfill your requirements and deliver value for what you spend...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back