JBL 4343 coming soon to Mumbai

Quick and dirty first impression of the 4343:

The presentation is different from the Tekton Double Impact.

The DI is more laidback whereas the JBL 4343 sounds more direct and immediate, imparting to it a sense of greater presence than the Tekton.
Result: more immediacy, more presence, more palpability.

To break it down, the quality and quantity of bass from the 15 inch driver of the JBL is several notches (or at least an order of magnitude) above the Tekton's. And that's saying something because before tonight the bass from the Tekton Double Impact was the best I've ever heard.

The mids and highs too have a different presentation from the Tekton's mids and highs. The tonal quality and the texture of voices and instruments of the JBL seemed more real to my ears (yes, tone is a very subjective thing to speak about, but suffice to say that it really sounded really good to my ears).

The highs are way more pronounced on the JBL than the Tekton. Overall, the presentation of the JBL is brighter. The upside of this is the JBL is way more resolving than the Tekton. Both Prem and myself heard several completely new details on tracks we've used as test tracks for a long time now. The downside is several LPs we've used as test records now show up their weaknesses. The speakers are rather ruthless in exposing the weak links in the chain. For example, the 16 gauge speaker cable didn't make the cut with this speakers. It took the 12 gauge to make it sing.

The attack of the JBL on leading edges is instantaneous without being hard edged. It gives it tremendous sense of immediacy. In that sense, it is much closer to the Rethm Sadhaana than the Tekton was to the Sadhaana.

The Tekton Double Impact Special Edition speaker is an amazing modern speaker packed to the gills with clever innovations at real-world prices, but the JBL 4343 which was designed and manufactured about four decades ago made it sound almost broken. It's hard to say if much progress has been made in speaker technology. It's yet another blind buy by Prem that has turned out to be a winner. Kudos and respect to you, Prem.

Thanks Joshua for the pictures and a quick description of the sound.

As you know, what you heard is a result of the advice given by David Karmeli who is active on whatsbestforum. His moniker is ddk. He advised me on the cables as well as the speakers. In fact he was kind enough to provide me with a pair of power cables since the ones he likes are no longer available.

Guys here’s a link to his systems. He probably has over 40-50 of the finest speakers ever made

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/horns-tubes-vinyl-and-digital-too-listening-room-1.15582/

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-too-listening-room-2-near-field-setup.15583/

My goodness. Those are beasts! I'm just starting out and had no clue speakers of this league even existed. Oh well, time to dive into the rabbit hole of research!

Congratulations Prem!

Yogibear, to me a system should sound good anywhere in the room. If my speakers demand that I only sit in the sweet spot and listen to them, then that’s not for me.

Yogibear, I will not be biamping these. My Berning drives them comfortably. No issues whatsoever.

Yogibear, what chair is recommended?

Quick and dirty first impression of the 4343:

The presentation is different from the Tekton Double Impact.

The DI is more laidback whereas the JBL 4343 sounds more direct and immediate, imparting to it a sense of greater presence than the Tekton.
Result: more immediacy, more presence, more palpability.

To break it down, the quality and quantity of bass from the 15 inch driver of the JBL is several notches (or at least an order of magnitude) above the Tekton's. And that's saying something because before tonight the bass from the Tekton Double Impact was the best I've ever heard.

The mids and highs too have a different presentation from the Tekton's mids and highs. The tonal quality and the texture of voices and instruments of the JBL seemed more real to my ears (yes, tone is a very subjective thing to speak about, but suffice to say that it really sounded really good to my ears).

The highs are way more pronounced on the JBL than the Tekton. Overall, the presentation of the JBL is brighter. The upside of this is the JBL is way more resolving than the Tekton. Both Prem and myself heard several completely new details on tracks we've used as test tracks for a long time now. The downside is several LPs we've used as test records now show up their weaknesses. The speakers are rather ruthless in exposing the weak links in the chain. For example, the 16 gauge speaker cable didn't make the cut with this speakers. It took the 12 gauge to make it sing.

The attack of the JBL on leading edges is instantaneous without being hard edged. It gives it tremendous sense of immediacy. In that sense, it is much closer to the Rethm Sadhaana than the Tekton was to the Sadhaana.

The Tekton Double Impact Special Edition speaker is an amazing modern speaker packed to the gills with clever innovations at real-world prices, but the JBL 4343 which was designed and manufactured about four decades ago made it sound almost broken. It's hard to say if much progress has been made in speaker technology. It's yet another blind buy by Prem that has turned out to be a winner. Kudos and respect to you, Prem.
Great review Joshua..you brought this to life with words.

Prem, your magic on choosing the right equipment strikes again !!!

Woow Prem Congrats! It's colossal but I believe it to be mellifluous as well. Extremely curious to know how "Mera Naam Hai Shabnam" is sounding like? Or Dil Yeh Mera from Barfi or The Telegraph Road..

Can't wait to luxuriate for a few hours.

Regards,
Sourav

Hi Souravin

I haven’t heard these tracks on the 4343 as yet :) To be honest I have been really caught up at work. Have hardly listened to any music since the 4343 has come home

Hi Souravin

I haven’t heard these tracks on the 4343 as yet :) To be honest I have been really caught up at work. Have hardly listened to any music since the 4343 has come home

And this hard work or busy hours would yield another masterpiece to your audio rig :). We all are mostly doing the same. Work is not only contributing to family or daily life but to our passion for music.

Warm regards,
Sourav

Prem,
Would be interested in your impression on dual mono recordings
"Ramayyiya vastayya" genre
Cheers,
Raghu

Raghupb, what does dual mono recording mean? Isn’t Ramayyiya Vastavyya a mono recording? Do you mean the same mono signal in both the channels?

I've been trying to recreate the experience
The old radio feeling
It's almost there in my rig

It's a bit of left of center
Cheers,
Raghu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back