• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

JBL 4343 coming soon to Mumbai

prem

Hi Bhagwan

Hopefully I will have more Indian classical LPs the next time you come

Also working on two areas. One I would like to bypass the crossover switch. Two, would like to raise the speakers by around 5 inches to isolate them. Right now they are coupled to the floor which adds a bit of resonance and affects the bass a bit

Also wanted to add that the Indian classical lp you heard was being played the first time. According to vinyl experts it’s always nice to play a lp on your system two to three times before it starts to sound optimal. This has something to do with the needle finding it’s way around the grooves.

SPONSORED ADS
Last edited:

SPONSORED ADS

arj

Nice ! this is one conversation i would have liked to be part of ..as a sponge just soaking it all in !

square_wave

Hi Bhagwan

Hopefully I will have more Indian classical LPs the next time you come

Also working on two areas. One I would like to bypass the crossover switch. Two, would like to raise the speakers by around 5 inches to isolate them. Right now they are coupled to the floor which adds a bit of resonance and affects the bass a bit

Also wanted to add that the Indian classical lp you heard was being played the first time. According to vinyl experts it’s always nice to play a lp on your system two to three times before it starts to sound optimal. This has something to do with the needle finding it’s way around the grooves.
Nice plan. Almost all speakers sound better when the cabinet is isolated from the floor. Looking forward to your report.

Big thanks to JLS and Bhagwan for the report. If possible, do write about how different they are from modern deigns. Sound wise. Key areas.

bhagwan

Hi Bhagwan
Sir,
Perfect;
Both things may go a long way.
Thermacole or Soup Cans to start before you make the actual stand.
The X-Over 'By Pass' - too - super idea.
Kindly work on it & once in place & 'tuned' do let me know. I would love to revisit for a session.
Much Appreciate the hospitality.
Bhagwan

prem

Hi square_wave, I have lived with Tekton DI SE and JBL 4343 for some time now, so will try and answer your query.

Tekton is a modern design. It’s more neutral than the JBL. The JBL, like most good 70s designs, adds a touch of mid bass warmth. Result is JBL is more forgiving of recordings than Tekton. JBL does not add as much mid bass warmth as a vintage Tannoy though.

Coming to audiophile traits, Tekton images and stages better like most good modern designs too. It’s more precise than the JBL. For a vintage design, the JBL is not bad though.

Coming to musicality, I personally like the JBL better than the Tekton. It’s more dynamic, more alive, more organic.

Tekton is easier to place in the room as compared to the JBL. I don’t know if it’s because of the vintage design or because of the 15 inch woofer, the JBL loads the room a bit differently. The bass can very easily mess up the mids and highs. You need to give it enough room to breathe. The Tektons in comparison don’t seem to have this problem even though it goes a bit lower in bass than the JBL.

To sum it up, JBL is a fun speaker which puts an end to dissection and analysis when listening to music whereas the Tekton is more of an audiophile speaker

I am sure Bhagwan and jls001 can provide you more insights since they have heard a lot many more modern designs than me

Last edited:

prem

Hi square_wave, I am looking at steel stands. Magma will be making it for me. This is once I have finalised what height the stands should be.

Hari Iyer

Great weekend listening sessions and insights.

For isolation of my subwoofer from floor, I have placed them on carrom coins+ marbles. This makes them less coupled to the floor

prem

Thanks Hari for the suggestion. An looking at something more stable. Also looking at a mass loading option since that’s supposed to work better with my speakers

Am looking at making one of mild steel. Each stand is likely to weigh around 60-70 kgs

SPONSORED ADS

Hari Iyer

Yes Prem, my box is only around 15 kg and so it works for me. You will need something more robust.

bornfi

Thanks Hari for the suggestion. An looking at something more stable. Also looking at a mass loading option since that’s supposed to work better with my speakers

Am looking at making one of mild steel. Each stand is likely to weigh around 60-70 kgs
Please do check the Soundcare spikes from Norway. I am using them under almost all my equipments. My amp (Karan Acoustics) came with it (that is what generated my interest) and then finally have them under my Tekton DI and DAC. I have even installed them under my friend's Tekton heavy subwoofers too for good isolation.

prem

Thanks for the suggestion Bornfi. The JBLs have to raised by 5-7.5 inches. So will need a mini stand. BTW, I have used Soundcare spikes in the past.

arj

Interesting article

Nice read Prem..
The following stood out to me
How has the sound of speakers changed over the years? Many yearn for the speakers of the past over those of today… what has changed? Distortion, materials, focus on sound characteristics?

Speakers have generally become smoother, more 3-dimensional and much smaller. This means that they are less dynamic on the whole and rather toy like compared to good stuff from the 60s and 70s. Unlike electronics, miniaturization is not a good thing with loudspeakers. There is no substitute for size and horsepower. Nothing much has changed with the laws of physics in the last 100 years so what it takes to make dynamic life-like sound is unchanged. There have been some advances in magnet materials and a bunch of progress in adhesives but not much else. The cost of a 70s system in today's economy would be considered unaffordable and the system would be deemed unnecessarily huge. The large highly efficient systems of old came at a time when 15 – 30 watts of power was the norm. Today's stuff would choke on those amplifiers.

prem

Audiopro, it was great having you over last evening. As you rightly mentioned, it’s very easy to drop from Level 3 to Level 2 by introducing some tweaks which might enhance a few audiophile traits but at the expense of musicality. Will remember this. :)

prem

Naturelover, above is link to Audiopro thread and his interpretation of level 1, 2 and 3 systems

SPONSORED ADS