JBL 4343 coming soon to Mumbai

Thanks Sidvee. Will look into it. My concern is I am playing with vintage. Which is why I have not considered a lot of modern amps. They just don’t mesh with older speakers.

Thanks Sidvee. Will look into it. My concern is I am playing with vintage. Which is why I have not considered a lot of modern amps. They just don’t mesh with older speakers.
Ok, good luck with the search.
Cheers,
Sid

I have heard the Lamm M1.2 Mono blocs connected to Chord Dave and Marten speaker. It has a soft warm presentation though it is a mammoth beast.

LAMM is anything but soft. It’s not warm either. It’s very neutral. The speakers you heard it with may not have been a good match with LAMM. LAMM normally likes speakers which are easy to drive even though it says it can handle all kinds of speakers.

I did an AB test with EAR 509 mk2 tube mono blocs (25 anniversary edition) and found it to be more warm.

I have not heard this particular EAR amp. But the EAR in high end circles in terms of high fidelity is a notch or two below LAMM. LAMM is in the ultra top end of amps. To get it to play to it’s potential, everything has to be perfectly set up. It will not shine with a power conditioner or an aftermarket power cord. You have to use it’s supplied power cord. It needs isolation. Either a SRA base or a one inch solid steel base

There’s no one amp for all speakers. Maybe EAR synergy with Marten is better than LAMM. :)

I will be getting the LTA Ultralinear and use it for a year. I like the Berning sound so didn’t want to experiment much. Thought I should buy an amp whose sound I am familiar with. In the meantime it gives me time to explore other amps. My previous Berning was 10 watt. This is 20 watts. Will be interesting to see what the extra 10 watts brings to the table

Part 1
I have been putting off going to Prem’s for a long time. Mainly because week nights did not work for him and weekends I wasn’t going to Bandra. Finally, shook off the lethargy and with the self righteousness of someone who worked the Deepavali weekend, I decided to trudge.

Even then with some reservations. I wasn’t going to listen to the famed Bernings or the Western Electric cables driving the JBL 4343 - instead a Denon all in one!

Boy, am I glad I went! His beautiful house (everything in its right place, to quote Radiohead) was transformed into a Studio when the needle hit the groove. And what mighty speakers.

“Hey there is more reverb on this”

“Did you see that he changed the guitar?”

“Oi, didn’t notice before but this song is driven by bass.”

The sound was very different from the sound I go for - emphasising mainly tone (BBC zindabad). This was extremely good on transients, initial attack was electrifying and voices, especially male voices, were outstanding. Bass was tight.

Higher up is where I would prefer the BBC. The inner resolution (micro dynamics) is addictive with BBC. For example, say woodwinds in orchestral sounds spooky. Roundness. Sweetness in strings - accuracy be damned. Despite the fact that it won’t rock out as well.

Like I told him and Hari, if I were a rich man (Dee Dee Dee Dee Dee Dum), I would probably go for a Harbeth 40.2. And have the option of Prem’s for a rock evening.

Prem’s room was also great. His hospitality immaculate. For those who have never heard what a mastering engineer hears - go and listen now!

Area of improvement: his dancing. I mean, dude!!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back