JBL 4343 coming soon to Mumbai

Fiftyfifty, the Denon all in one mini is a true jewel. In the right system it could be end game for most. There are many amps which will be more resolving, have better extremes, have better transparency, pull out more details, etc, but when it comes to musicality it’s tough to beat this one.

Garrard 401/301/ Lenco75/Technics SP10/Thorens 124/EMT plus EAR 834 with Telefunken tubes + Denon mini + Vintage JBL/Tannoys/Altec/Klipschorn + Radio Shack ic and speaker cable could be end game for most. This will not be the ultimate in resolution but hard to beat for a real feel of music.

If going digital, replace turntable and phono with Esoteric/CEC transport plus a good dac, ideally tube, if using with Denon mini

Am not sure how the Denon mini will work with modern speakers though. I believe the design of the amp is from late 50s. Denon had designed it for their broadcast business. They used this design in the mini series because of space constraints.
Hi Prem, is the 834P a replacement? Would be keen to know your observations.

Yes AVM. It’s a replacement for my built in EMT phono. I am using the EAR 834 MM with an external EMT original SUT. The supplied 12ax7 tubes have been replaced by NOS Telefunken perfectly matched smooth plate ones.

The phono stage of EAR is very very good. Their line pre is ok. Nothing great.

I was there with @jls001 when he was at prem's place. So I was fortunate enough to hear the setup in it's new avatar

Joshua has explained enough about how is thw new sound, so I don't feel I need to add more.

But in my view there is no one component in the setup which is solely responsible for the sound. Nothing in isolation would make the sound what it is now.

Right from the new speaker stands which are superbly built to the new amp and phono.

The stock tubes have a euphoric sound but the upgraded tubes sound very netural but retaining the musicality.

As Joshua pointed out in the DAFT PUNK track where the singer is speaking for a few minutes, it sounds like he is right there in the room.

But again liking a particular signature is a personal choice and it's absolutely fine in liking more the more euphoric sound signature of the stock tubes

Rikhav, I guess more people are likely to like the EAR 834 with the stock tubes as it’s more exciting to hear :)

I am the odd one out as I always strive for a natural sound

I got a few queries about the Denon mini I use. Used, if shipped from Europe, it will cost you approx Rs 150000. I will not tell people to blindly buy it. You may end up being very disappointed. As I said before it works well with certain vintage speakers. It’s not too fussy about isolation, but a good stand will benefit it a wee bit. It comes with a captive power cord. Do not change it. Everything in that unit is optimised. It doesn’t allow any tweaking. At best you can try some isolation and provide it clean power.

Also wanted to add that this is not a vintage amp. It’s from early 2000. It’s very neutral. Doesn’t add any body. It’s far away from the vintage sound that you get from the older models of Sansui, Luxman, etc

Last edited:
Rikhav, I guess more people are likely to like the EAR 834 with the stock tubes as it’s more exciting to hear :)

I am the odd one out as I always strive for a natural sound
Natural sound makes one sit and listen to music for hours.
On the other hand, natural sound doesn't restrict the listener to a sweet zone.
Just fills the room beautifully so that you can do other stuff while music is on.
Cheers,
Raghu

Raghupb, everybody hears differently and they all have their own criteria for what they perceive as ideal sound. What is natural sound to me could be perceived as dull by someone. There’s nothing wrong with that because music is a sensory perception.

Raghupb, everybody hears differently and they all have their own criteria for what they perceive as ideal sound. What is natural sound to me could be perceived as dull by someone. There’s nothing wrong with that because music is a sensory perception.
Tru-Dat!!
Cheers,
Raghu

Jls001, Dr Bass has only heard my Rethms. He’s not heard the Tektons or the JBL. Also he’s not heard the Berning or the EMT 950 :)

Horror of horrors o_O how could a denon mini be sitting on the throne where the berning once sat ?? Jokes apart, may we know the model no of this upstart jewel ?

The Airtight 300R and the Berning 811SET have been dropped as they are unlikely to be able to drive my JBL. Have added LTA Ultralinear and Microzotl Reference pre in the mix

So now it’s a toss up between

3 box LAMM or 2 box LTA or the 1 box Ayon Crossfire.

It’s back to two options

LAMM 3 box and Airt Tight 300R if we get confirmation that it will drive the JBL. Prithvi is awaiting reply from Air Tight.

Will finalise one of them

Yogibear, what amps are these?
Is the F2a, the Shindo amp? I much prefer a LAMM to Shindo. Shindo is nice but too colored for my ears.

Gerrythemerry, I feel I need more than 10 watts to drive the JBL. Ideally 20-40 watts

Hi Prem,
Do consider Lyric audio. Superb single ended int. amps IMO. I have the 20 watt (with 2xKT150 tubes version, it can take Kt120, kt 88 and el34 for varying wattage output from 8-20 watts) and there is one with 40 watts. They drove my 88 db Ascendos with ease and are currently driving my 84 db ATC 19's comfortably. I believe Jochen Semler is a dealer and has great pricing. They also have a highly regarded phonostage.
Cheers,
Sid

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back