JBL Vs Polk

varun.arch

Hi Everyone here. My first post here. :)
I am very soon going to buy a 7.1 Music System. I have shortlisted few things. Need your all kind suggestions.
1st option
Denon 2200 - 59900 (Amazon)
JBL 290 3 way floor standing - Rs 60000
JBL studio 225C center - Rs 18000
JBL Studio 210 Surround - Rs 25000
JBL ES250 wireless subwoofer. - Rs 50000
Total Rs 194900

2nd option
Denon 2200
Polk TSX 550T 3 way floor standing - Rs 62000
Polk TSX 250C centre - Rs 20000
Polk FXiA4 Surround - Rs 34000
Polk DSW PRO 550 - Rs 34000
Total - Rs 209900

Now i have few questions
1. which one is the better option
2. Heard from someone that Denon doesn't provide heatsink in their AVR's anymore. Is it in some models or even 2200 doesn't have a heatsink:sad:?
3. JBL has Service Center's in Delhi but does Polk also has SC's in :sad:Delhi NCR?

You say "music system", your bio states "audioholic".
Just wondering if you are going down the wrong path.
What is your purpose for this system, music or movies? If it is music, a two channel stereo system might be a better idea.

For a true movie buff like me.......go for JBL straight away. JBL sound systems are used in various multiplex in Mumbai and one of my audio crazy friend said that if anyone wanted to upgrade their audio systems, one should go for JBL. Its has a theater feel sound. JBL sub ES250 will give you that rich theater bass (its good for music too) which you will never feel like visiting the theater again. Its just too awesome.

Denon + Polk is a good match.
Please go through the HT threads and many FMs are using it.
Not sure about the heatsink. But read some HDMI related problems reported in Denon lately

I don't think we should take multiplex sound as reference. At home we need more of quality and refinement. In cinema halls it is SPL and loudness matters.
Nothing wrong with JBL though, but generally considered big sounding.

For a true movie buff like me.......go for JBL straight away. JBL sound systems are used in various multiplex in Mumbai and one of my audio crazy friend said that if anyone wanted to upgrade their audio systems, one should go for JBL. Its has a theater feel sound. JBL sub ES250 will give you that rich theater bass (its good for music too) which you will never feel like visiting the theater again. Its just too awesome.

You say "music system", your bio states "audioholic".
Just wondering if you are going down the wrong path.
What is your purpose for this system, music or movies? If it is music, a two channel stereo system might be a better idea.

By Audioholic i mean i have that craving to enjoy the most fine music i can afford. And Music System can be anything .. can be for cars or home. i jsut mentioned the category!

Hope i am more clear now?

By Audioholic i mean i have that craving to enjoy the most fine music i can afford. And Music System can be anything .. can be for cars or home. i jsut mentioned the category!

Hope i am more clear now?

what audioholic means by his question is that do you want this sound system to watch movies or to listen to music. this will define whether you require a surround sound setup (front, rears and centre) or do you require a stereo setup (only fronts).

if its just for music, then a stereo setup is much better. for the same budget you will get a better quality amp and 2 speakers, therefore better sound quality.

if its for surround sound, then if youre taking a sub woofer, you dont need floor standers for the fronts. bookshelves will do. at that budget for speakers, i would look at the kef q series. not sure what pairs well with the kefs but apart from denon you can look at yamaha, onkyo marantz...

youve got a decent budget - my suggestion is to do a bit of research and listen to the various systems out there. and more importantly understand your own needs. just because you have a lot of powerful speakers with big specs in a room, doesnt necessarily mean that it will give you the best output in terms of quality

Yes i am looking more for movies and high res Music.
Surround for me is must.

i am in research mode right now since last 4 mnths now. and looking forward to close this by next month.

Guy i visited a store yesterday in Delhi.
Bad News is that JBL 280 and 290 series Floor standing speakers are discontinued now.
Instead of these JBL has announced another new series which not on display anywhere yet.
Although i got clarity on Denon 2200 Heat Sink issue. Dealer told me that if you are going to use it for 12-15 hours straight then you may face a problem. But in his last 3 yrs experience in selling Denon, he has faced just 2 customers came saying the Amp stopped working. And he managed to get them replaced.
I am somehow not convinced with his 12-15 hours excuse. as he mentioned that if you have a high hour usage, then go for commercial Receivers. which can be used for 20-24 hours straight.

look at kef q series speakers. have heard good reviews of the quads as well. then theres psb, wharfedale etc etc

for amps, marantz, denon, yamaha, onkyo. once you decide on a speaker you can go about looking for a matching amp

Dear All,
i have made the final decision now and going ahead with the below mentioned combination.

Denon 2200

there is a store in Gurgaon (gurugram :eek:hyeah: ) Metropolitan mall.
he will give me further discount on this cost also.
shall update you all by this weekend.

Dear All,
i have made the final decision now and going ahead with the below mentioned combination.

Denon 2200

there is a store in Gurgaon (gurugram :eek:hyeah: ) Metropolitan mall.
he will give me further discount on this cost also.
shall update you all by this weekend.

Try getting a better subwoofer, not that the DSW 550 is bad, for that kind of price you can get a Velodyne Impact 12 or If you increase your budget a little more for the subwoofer you can get an SVS SB-1000 or PB-1000. You can even go higher up but then its your choice. Try to find dealers in your city for the following subwoofers. Rest of the setup seems to be ok. Did you check out the POLK RTI series? If not please check them out too.
Also if interested why not look at some other brands like Dali,Wharfedale,etc. They would even sound better for music. Not saying that polk is bad. Since you are ready to invest in a home theater and considering your budget you can try many more brands too.:D

Hi Every one.
Honestly, i totally forgot to share my experience after buying the entire setup.
the vision towards listening and enjoying music has changed. I am most of time listening to something which i have already experienced alot of time before on normal simple old style computer 5.1 system, but i must say. The difference is huge and no comparison.
Watching HD Movies and realizing that some of the effects that i never observed.

Also Audessey calibration looks really techie while its calibrating, but when the installation guy came. he totally changed the way Audessey calibrated. And he made look Audessey look stupid in-front of Manual calibration. Definitely human touch cant be compared with gadgets.

Really Happy with the setup. :clapping::yahoo:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back