Just bought my Denon AVR-510BT

venkat_83

Hi friends,

As a confused prospective home theater owner :), for the past few days I have been asking different questions here and today I finally went ahead with Denon AVR-510BT along with Polk TSX-330 front towers.

Initially I was considering Yamaha YHT-299 or YHT-2910 but after the demo, my heart went with this system. Since it takes some more time for me to have a proper HT setup at home (placement etc), I bought only the front speakers and will gradually add the rest.

Did I make any mistake by going with Denon AVR-510BT + Polk TSX330 front towers? My usage will be 60% south regional music and 40% hollywood movies.

thank you spirovious. Waiting for it to be delivered and installed. They promised me to get it done by monday.

My experience so far with the system is during audition and I mostly played music then and I am kinda liked it. I am a noob so can't tell tech stuff but I felt the music playback was good.

Hello Venkat

All the best and wishes on your new Set-up. Denon and Polk should be one of the best pairs for AV.

Polk are with 90 DB sensitivity with recommended power between 20-150W and denon Spec says 70W per channel.So you might not like to push the volume more than 2 O Clock Position as the Sestivity is good for speakers.

In case you are go wild for partying the speakers, then Yes ,There is Little bit of Risk here.

Thank you very much Audio_Freek.

what do you mean by volume not more than 2 O Clock Position? Is there way/setting in AVR-X510BT I can use to make sure I do not cross this limit even by mistake?

If I go beyond that volume level, what will be the risk? Is it reduction in audio quality or will it even damage the receiver or speakers?

Venkat,

I have my understanding on what happens if the Speakers pushed hard by the Lowpowered amplifiers. But Your Speakers are 90DB sensitivity So I guess you might not need or Like to push the amp hard enough to get the speakers (Mainly Tweeter) to damage.

Just for your Information about the Distortion, Since I have experience in Blowing a tweeter :-(,But the Amplifier was a local Brand though.

***************************************************************************************************************
Most of the amps would distort when we are push them to its Maximum Outage watts.

For Example, If we have Amp given 100 Watts, Say at or crossing 80 W the Distortion starts, which means the amp pushes some Noise and Heat (Still am not sure which add more )
Note: Good Amp does distortion at lower level which might not affect the Speakers.I use to Run my Old Technics Speaker 30W almost Full volume in Kenwood amp rated 50W never had any issues.

So at 80 watts some Noise and heat enters to the speakers and this mainly end up in damaging the Voice coil of Tweeter.

At 12 o clock position the Amps gives atleast 50-60 Percentage of the watts they suppose to produce at 2 to 3 Clock position starts Distorting.

This is the Main reason Mostly its suggested to use the amp atleast 2 times powerfull than speakers. For example if you have A-100W amp and 2-200W amp.

100W Amp Gives 100 watts might be at 4-5 o clock position with more heat\noise to speakers.Whereas the 200W amp can push 100w effortlessly at 12 o clock position without any Noise or Heat.

I am not sure whether any inbuilt mechanism we have in the AVR to give an Alert when it distorting.But you could feel that that Speaker sound is getting harsh when the volumes is increased, then dont push it further.

The Numbers given are approximate :) FM's please correct in case my understanding is wrong.

Last edited:
Venkat Sir,

As I have mentioned, You speakers are 90db Sensitivity so this not be big deal.In case they are with 85db then yes, Need to be very carefull.

Did you try playing the speakers more than 11o clock Position? That should be Loud ,So I dont think you turn up them crazy to 2 or 3o clock position.

No worries,Just share your impression.

Did you try Audyssey? It opens sound and you may need lower volume level for better loudness.

I bought a brand new Marantz 5006 recently but never used it.I have a yamaha 477 and happy with it. Thinking whether to sell Yamaha or Marantz...:p

Venkat Sir,

Did you try playing the speakers more than 11o clock Position? That should be Loud ,So I dont think you turn up them crazy to 2 or 3o clock position.

No worries,Just share your impression.

I am sorry but I do not understand this 11o clock or 2o clock stuff. The AVR has volume levels from 0 to 98 scale (-70dB to 18dB) and so far I went up to 70. At 50 to 70 levels, depending on the movie or music playback and input quality, it is loud enough for my listening environment and the minimum volume level required to have a clear audible sound is 35 to 40.

But my only concern is, right now I am only using the front two speakers and others are yet to be added. So, when I put the full 5.1 configuration, I think I need to go higher volume scale (say 85 or 90) to get the same current loudness. Am I right?
If yes, keeping volume at 85 to 90 level, max is 98, for long hours on a daily basis, am I going to damage my AVR or speakers?

Last edited:
Can it take audio from set top box thru HDMI or audio has to given separately through coaxial cable.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back