Just bought Yamaha YHT-299

I got a offer of 32K so you can negotiate.

Regarding HDMI 3D pass through, If your connection is like this
Blue ray player ----> Home Theater ------> TV
and if you want use TV sound instead of home theater, then just keep home theater in the standby mode. You will able to see a video on TV without getting sound from home theater.

Correction.
The feature you explained is "Standby Pass through" and not HDMI 3D Passthrough.

HDMI 3D Pass through means the HDMI in the AVR is capable of passing 3D signals when connected to 3D BDP or any 3D Source.
Most of the current AVRs have this feature.

Correction.
The feature you explained is "Standby Pass through" and not HDMI 3D Passthrough.

HDMI 3D Pass through means the HDMI in the AVR is capable of passing 3D signals when connected to 3D BDP or any 3D Source.
Most of the current AVRs have this feature.

Thanks Sunil for correcting me

Hey All, this is Senthil from Chennai. I am new to HiFiVison and this is my first msg.

A brief history on how I landed here

I have a 4 year old Sony 40" Smart TV (without 3D), coupled with AirTel HD (placed on a wall mounted glass support) and was pretty contented with it. Until my 1 yr old daughter pulled the set top box along with the glass support and crushed her little finger making me to look for a full fledged TV Wall unit.

Having a wall unit now kindled my desire to look for Home Theatre.

Setup:
My living room is 11' x 19' x 10' (H) with concealed speaker outlets in all the 4 corners. I don't even have a DVD player and my TV doesn't support NTFS partition and mkv file format, restricting my collection.

Requirement:
Mid range Home Theatre system (not a fan of floor standing speakers)
More of audio and weekend movies
Capability to play 3D Blu Ray (Though mine is not a 3D TV:p )
Capability to support 4K resolution (future proof :p )
Play any format files (which was a nagging issue for now)
Budget - around 25K

With these requirements, started browsing from sound bar, then migrated to HTiB and also AV receiver. Decided to audition and headed to Reliance digital on last Sunday morning (1st customer, infact had to wait for their staffs to come :p)

Sony HT - touched my S6 edge (NFC), wow was able to hear music from my mobile
Samsung - Mirror display voila, my mobile screen in big screen. I could see both video and audio
Asked the person about AV receiver package. Immediately I could feel some glow in his face. Asked him what's the difference. He coolly said, see these players (Sony/ Samsung / LG) how compact they are and they do all the activities within this box. But, see this big AV receiver (Yamaha) and this does only amplification work. My mind immediately jumped to conclusion, but forced my body from expressing it.

Saw YHT 196, 1810, 299 and 2910.
196 was in my budget, but thought should go for 1810 for its 4K pass through.
But, my mind was on 299 primarily for the usb in, which I felt, I will be end-up using lot (He also mentioned active Sub, which I was not familiar much at that time).
Came home and started the next round exploration in google and that's when landed in this great forum and especially this active Thread. I convinced myself to get 299.

You won't believe, I have gone through all the 71 pages of this thread (by spending around 4hrs) and now I am in a fix.

Need experts advice, before I make my final call

- Will YHT-299 meet my room requirement (11x18x10) - I have never used a HT, was managing with the sound out of the TV and never kept the TV volume more than 50% :D
- Considering my past condition and the requirement that I need a Blu Ray player to play digital contents, should I stick to the conventional HTs from Samsung / Sony
- Murali has ended up selling is 299 for a customised AV and speakers. Will I be forced to do it - I don't want to push myself for an upgrade atleast for next 2 years

I know, finally its individuals preference, but what I need from you experienced people is - "will I be able to feel distinct difference with 299 in my living room compared to a Samsung / Sony standard HTs"

Thanks again for all the active members and looking forward for your valuable feedback.

Good news!!! I bought YHT-299 at RD, Chennai for Rs.34,870/-. This amount also includes 2 years extended warranty. I think it is a good bargain. :yahoo:

But, the system will be delivered only by 15th March 2016. I think there is a big demand for YHT-299.

Srini

Hi Srini,
Did you receive the system. Have you installed, share your update.

Thanks
Senthil

Thanks Ajay,

Good news!!! I bought YHT-299 at RD, Chennai for Rs.34,870/-. This amount also includes 2 years extended warranty. I think it is a good bargain. :yahoo:

But, the system will be delivered only by 15th March 2016. I think there is a big demand for YHT-299.

After delivery and installation, I shall share my experience.

Thanks and regards.

Srini

Hi Srini. Congrats on your purchase. Can you pls let me know the dealer name and contact number where you purchased? Planning to buy yht 299 this month end. Just getting my wiring done in my house as part of renovation.

Thanks
Subramanian

Re: "Standby Pass through" HTiB?

Correction.

What are the options for HTib with "Standby Pass through" feature?
Are there any available for around 40K?

Hi Srini. Congrats on your purchase. Can you pls let me know the dealer name and contact number where you purchased? Planning to buy yht 299 this month end. Just getting my wiring done in my house as part of renovation.

Thanks
Subramanian

Hi Subramani,
I am also in, lets make a combined buy to get a better deal...

Regs,
Senthil

Hi Subramani,
I am also in, lets make a combined buy to get a better deal...

Regs,
Senthil

Sure Senthil, once Srini Share the details we can take a call. Other than Reliance I don't think we can get extended warranty anywhere else. Better to have a warranty for 3 yrs.

Regards
Subramanian

Hi Senthil and Subramanian,

I booked in RD, Meco House, Anna Salai, Chennai - 600002.

I have not yet received the system. They say that the model is in short supply. According to them, it may take couple of more days.

I paid full amount in advance. Negotiate hard. you will get with extended warranty.

I have also researched a lot and auditioned few models like Yamaha, Denon, Sony. Finally, got convinced with YHT-299.

I have also auditioned Denon receiver with SA speaker systems (Denmark make). Total cost was around 2 lakhs. Not in my budget. But, awesome experience. Visit this store that is near Chola hotel for experience.

As you guys said, this forum is awesome and helped in decision making. But, need to go a long way.

My plan is, after couple of years, I will upgrade my 2 front speakers with book shelf model speakers that will provide better music.

FYI, usb in YHT-299 can only play music. It will not support any video formats.

Cheers.
Srini

Dear friends,

Need your expert advise on my first HT setup. My room size is 11* 25 and its the living cum dining where I am planning to setup the HT. After lot of thoughts i have narrowed down to Yamaha YHT 299.

I have attached the photo of the room and also marked the places where i have thought of placing the speakers (kindly zoom in the pic to read the text clearly). My position of view will be only from the living area and hence i thought of placing all the speakers within the hall perimeter (at a height of 4.5 ft). I am not a very audiophobic person. My usage would be 50% for music and 50% for watching movies. My need is to have good sound effect with nice bass effect and surround effect. My budget is < 40k.

1. Will YHT 299 make justice to my room?
2. At low volume will i be able to hear clear and crisp music?
3. Also pls suggest me what cable i should use to connect the speakers and sub. One of the shop person i spoke to told me to go with Bandridge 2 core * 1.5 sq mm but looks costlier. Any other cheaper options that gives good clarity?

As I am not much into audio stuff some of my questions might be too primitive, kindly excuse.

Looking forward to your expert advise. TIA.

Regards
Subramanian

Attachments

• IMG_6468 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_6468 - Copy.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 77
Hi Senthil and Subramanian,

I booked in RD, Meco House, Anna Salai, Chennai - 600002.

I have not yet received the system. They say that the model is in short supply. According to them, it may take couple of more days.

I paid full amount in advance. Negotiate hard. you will get with extended warranty.

I have also researched a lot and auditioned few models like Yamaha, Denon, Sony. Finally, got convinced with YHT-299.

I have also auditioned Denon receiver with SA speaker systems (Denmark make). Total cost was around 2 lakhs. Not in my budget. But, awesome experience. Visit this store that is near Chola hotel for experience.

As you guys said, this forum is awesome and helped in decision making. But, need to go a long way.

My plan is, after couple of years, I will upgrade my 2 front speakers with book shelf model speakers that will provide better music.

FYI, usb in YHT-299 can only play music. It will not support any video formats.

Cheers.
Srini

Thanks a lot for the info Srini. Planning to do a visit this weekend. Will keep you all posted.

Regs
Subramanian

Friends,

Good news.

After a long wait, RD just delivered the system at my home.

They promised me to send the installation guys tomorrow.

@ Senthil and Subramanian :

Contact Mr.Rasool @ 9884030305. I have already informed him that 2 of my friends will contact for YHT-299. He remembers my name, so, you can tell my name (Srinivasan), if you want.

I think, it is better to rush as this model may go totally out of market in near future.

Bargain hard. RD's Selling price is Rs.34990 minus Rs.2000 cash back, if you don't take combo offer (DVD player for Rs.999/-). It comes to Rs.32990/-. Plus they may ask Rs.3900/- for 2 year extended warranty.

I bargained for a total package (system + 2 years ext warranty) of Rs.34990/-. The sales guy may say that price reduction is not possible. But, insist that you want to speak to the store manager.

Mr.Rasool said 3 more systems are coming on 22 March 2016.

Cheers.

Srini

One guy came for installation yesterday.

That fellow don't even know how to connect wires. He made a mess of it. Finally, I have to teach him how to cut a wire and connect.

So, don't expect any thing from the installation guys. Be prepared to help yourself.

I am still confused with the settings to get desirable output. Again, you have to help yourself.

Regarding performance, I think my hall size is too big. It's a L shaped living room and Dining. Totally, 360 sq. ft. I think, it will be nice, if we have dedicated room for home theatre. Acoustics is very important.

FRIENDS.. HUMBLE REQUEST TO ALL.. PLS PLS PLS DONT BUY YAMAHA YHT 299. ONE OF THE WORST HT TO BUY. WILL LET U MORE LATER. BUT MY HUMBLE REQUEST PLS dNT WASTE YOUR MONEY..!

FRIENDS.. HUMBLE REQUEST TO ALL.. PLS PLS PLS DONT BUY YAMAHA YHT 299. ONE OF THE WORST HT TO BUY. WILL LET U MORE LATER. BUT MY HUMBLE REQUEST PLS dNT WASTE YOUR MONEY..!

Why later? Why NOT now. For the time you wrote the above message you could have as well wrote your reasons. Is it about the latest inventory? As such 299 has stood the test of time for more than couple of years.

I have a query. Regarding speaker cable:
Are we getting any speaker cable with yht 299 ?
If they are providing what is the length of that cable ?

I have a query. Regarding speaker cable:
Are we getting any speaker cable with yht 299 ?
If they are providing what is the length of that cable ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back