Layout of my (tobe) Livingroom HT

paritosh

dear all,

here is the layout of my living room HT

the pkg i have considered is Onkyo 728 or JBL StudioOne or other 5.1 pkg with towers. the sitting area is 17 x 11 ft

pl suggest if i need to change anything regarding placement of speakers

thanks,
paritosh

Attachments

• HT-300511.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 99
ok let me give it a try.

Although the diagram has been made with a great effort but IMO it does not give a good idea. Probably pics would be better. I sure you that you would get better response if you post the pics.

Why the rears in front of seating area that too with different distance from seating area? They should be equidistant in terms of height and distance. Preferably also in rear.

The placement is more or less fine. You must audition to find out the precise location of speakers.

well, you are right. actually i can not post pics as the room is still under construction. what i have given here is a perspective view of 3D AUTOCAD drawing.

let me clear that the rears as well as fronts and center are ABSOLUTELY equividistance from the listening position (about 9.5 ft). the bottom of rears will be at 5ft from the flooring and aprx 1.5 ft from sitting position. and the rears are not in front of sitting. actually the sitting area is flush against a wall and hence they will be at an angle of 90 degree from listening position.i have option of mounting them either facing front or on side walls facing each other, which i have chosen to do as per some recommendation by my Onkyo dealer.

but, as i said, you might not be able to view it correctly. will try to post better drawings.

thanks a lot for your reply.

Last edited:
Paritosh, I have done the design of my HT room myself. I could suggest something. However, the 3D layout is difficult to understand. I am not an architect. If possible, please attach 2D layout, in particular the top view.

yeah... was uploading using my Sony Aspen.... it sucs... i'll try posting again

Attachments

• HT TOPVIEW.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 52
  • HT-3D with Lables.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I think that given the size and shape of your hall, the speaker placement is right. If your surreound speakers are satellite type, you could try ceiling mounting with speakers facing downward and pointing inward by 20 or so. This will give better surround effect.

i've checked the website. i can't place the sub as you suggested as that is a place where my audio rake (15inch high x 7 feet wide) will come

Sub can be placed in front of the AV rack, nothing wrong with it - provided it doesn't interfere with the line of sight for the remote.

I think that given the size and shape of your hall, the speaker placement is right. If your surreound speakers are satellite type, you could try ceiling mounting with speakers facing downward and pointing inward by 20 or so. This will give better surround effect.

dear JFK! thanks for the reply. well,following are the reasons why i have selected this mounting:
1. the onkyo dealer suggested to mount the
speakers at abt 5ft from floor facing each other.
2. i have also studied the SKS HT 728 manual and they too have illustrated a similar mounting.
3. the DTS website also recommends to mount the surrounds facing each other at about 2 ft high from your listening position and at an angle between 90 to 110 degrees.

if the 5ft high mounting does not work, i will consider mounting them on the sealing like you suggested.

and, now that you can visualise thw layout a little better, do you have any idea how it may sound? i mean, accoustically, how much would you rate this setup?

also, what do you feel abt the placement of sub?

Last edited:
i have a similar sized room. I would recommend placing the subwoofer in-between the towers & in front of the tv cabinet.

pls see dolby.com website for more information (link below)

Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

thanks for the reply.

i notice you have Polk TSi in your set up. since your room size is same as mine, i'm interested in knowing whether the towers are overkill for the room' are they too boomy? have done any additional accoustical treatment to your room or not.

pls revert

What the Onkyo dealer said is right and that is the normal position ... I suggested ceiling mount because you are going to use the room width-wise. The center of the room is not the center of the seating area.

I have also seen ceiling mounted speakers at my friends place in San Ramon (CA, USA). His speakers are not just ceiling mounted but flushed and hidden inside the ceiling. The setup sounded very good. Of course, there is no basis for comparison.

there are specially built IN-CEILING / IN-WALL speakers available by brands like JBL and others. i too have seen them, but in website or in some audio magazine.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply.

i notice you have Polk TSi in your set up. since your room size is same as mine, i'm interested in knowing whether the towers are overkill for the room' are they too boomy? have done any additional accoustical treatment to your room or not.

pls revert

Hi,

I have done some acoustic treatment for my room - not the entire ceiling & the wall but I have tried to achieve 50% coverage.

Polk sounds very good & is not boomy. The room was very boomy before acoustic treatment.

I have a suggestion for you. You have mentioned that the audio rack that you are planning to have is 7' wide. So that leaves you with just 2' of space on either side of the rack for the speakers. I would suggest that you look at a rack that is no more than 4' wide. This will give you more room to play around with the speakers

regards

Arvind

Hi,

I have done some acoustic treatment for my room - not the entire ceiling & the wall but I have tried to achieve 50% coverage.

Polk sounds very good & is not boomy. The room was very boomy before acoustic treatment.

I have a suggestion for you. You have mentioned that the audio rack that you are planning to have is 7' wide. So that leaves you with just 2' of space on either side of the rack for the speakers. I would suggest that you look at a rack that is no more than 4' wide. This will give you more room to play around with the speakers

regards

Arvind

well, thanks for the suggestions. i'll keep them in mind.

this initial layout is based on what i've learned from this forum plus what i've seen on the web plus the audition rooms i've visited. the onkyo tall boys were kept some 12 ft aprt in the showroom. i am planning to have a seperation of abt 8ft to 9ft considering my viewing distence of 9.5ft.

according to you, what should be the ideal seperation for fronts?

thanks for the suggestions again

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back