Like the sound of a horn-loaded CD with a pro woofer?

grubyhalo

I just wanted to make sure that DIY'ers here are aware of this thread. It's quite a long one with a lot of numbers and graphs thrown in, but it still has enough gravy for the layperson to understand the objectives of the project. In summary, this was a collaborative effort for designing and manufacturing a 'hi-fi'-friendly horn and a matching compression driver. The delivery of the horns and the drivers to the end-users have just begun, I think. Also, a bunch of top speaker designers, including Mark Seaton and Jeff Bagby, are working on different projects using this horn/CD combo which would be made available soon.

Any DIY'er looking for a dynamic and life-like music reproduction and do not mind speakers with (slightly) healthy proportions should book-mark this thread!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291022/hey-guys-we-need-a-little-rallying-here

Like the sound of a horn-loaded CD with a pro woofer?
You bet I do, mate.
Me so very horny!

Wave guides and/or horns have been used to great (satisfying) DIY effect by the likes of gainphile, gedlee, redspade and inlowsound, amongst anothers. Have a look-see here.

DIY Paper Horn - The Paper Horn by Inlow Sound

Horns are a different world, I guess.
Right from the smallest "peepni" to the largest tubas, so many musical instruments incl the shehnai, bugle, trumpet, sax, trombone etc are all based on the same principle, after all.

Nice thread here, lets all take this further, eh, Grubyhalo !?

Cheerio

Last edited:
I need to figure out which plate amp to match to this, though. All mine currently are powerful ones mated to 12 inch drivers. This needs something much smaller.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back