Looking for stereo amplifier for Jamo e875

corElement

Hi All

As I'm in the process of stepping down from a 5.1 setup to stereo, I've been looking around at amps suitable to my floorstanders and open to your opinions.

Presently I'm running the towers rated 150 / 220 (W, long/short term) off the Jamo AVR-693 which was approximately 50000 INR when it was still in production and has 120watts at 6ohms per channel. It is approximately 15kg in weight.

Though the AVR's highs and mids are good, I feel the e875's given their nature are not suited to my AVR when it comes to bass. As when I connect a different set of speakers the bass sounds fine but the e875's bass is just too controlled, it needs a little push. One of the reasons why I'm actually considering stepping down to an integrated is because integrated amp's give me the option to tweak the bass and treble incase my e875's still decides to not reveal it's lows. My current avr does not have this. It retains it's signature neutral sound without any alterations within the avr options, only configuration for speakers. The problem is that I need to find out if it's a lack of power or simply the signature of the AVR that my e875's bass is excessively controlled. That's why I made a thread requesting someone from gurgaon to kindly bring their amp over to help me troubleshoot..

So what I'm actually looking for is something that keeps the highs and mids intact but does not hold back the lows. I realize is this is kind of hard to suggest through an online forum but I'm just looking for opinions.

I wish I could have gotten this deal but it was booked before I saw the thread. Though it does not have a bass or treble control so, maybe I don't feel too bad about it (Most likely the best kind of amps dont have any option other than just pure electrical amplification I assume).

So now you know the story.

Also incase anyone is interested in buying Jamo AVR-693 please let me know. It's a beauty AND a beast and essential to sell if I decide to get an integrated amp, otherwise I cant afford one. Most likely my max budget is 25k but willing to 2k more incase I find a deal like the Jaton one I linked above.

I'm VERY VERY open to preowned good condition amps. Also open to tube amps but the 875's are a little power hungry and I don't know much about tube amps (open to enlightenment?)

283924_jamo.jpg

I love my AVR so much, wish I could afford keeping it :( It's a beauty. Let's see how things play out.

Last edited:
Jamos are pretty hard to drive. They need more than a 3W SET to sound right. These low wattage SETs are not high current and as a result need a benign load - a horn loaded high efficiency design or a single driver fostex/feastrex or similar design to sound good.

Also actual Sun Audio stuff costs a bomb. I assume you are looking at cheap chinese clones?

Uhhh how do i know it's a clone? One I'm getting a quote on is supposedly 30k =S

What amps within my budget do you suggest reign?

Last edited:
Look for a used integrated that outputs roughly 50-100W of clean power. That should be enough. See if you can get a used Naim 5i integrated. It'll be perfect.

A real japanese made sun audio will cost ten times of that amount - that too used!

Will do. Keep the opinions coming people.

On another note, I'm questioning myself if it's worth actually replacing the AVR just to make up for just 5-10% more bass.
Considering I'm 100% satisfied with the mids and highs, even more than the marantz 8003 I heard it on at the showroom.

I don't know if it was you or someone else but I was suggested using the preout to connect another amplifier.

If I connected an amplifier to the preout would that not totally bypass my avr's amplifier? or would it use the amplifier+amplifier = two amplifier signatures?

f5d0kz.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Core,

I was eyeing the Jaton deal too. But the pre did not have a remote and he would prefer to let them go together.

Better to go for high powered amps. Atleast 70-80w+

Marantz goes well with the jamos but are bass shy (I understand you look for bass).

Naim nait 5i is entirely different league. Used ones should be >60k. Similar is the musical fidelity ones.

Preamp is equally important.. so go for integrates if you dont have pre. Marantz 7004/8004/ki models will fit.

NAD gives ample bass/soft bass but I think I have grown out of NAD. Also I dont think they fit Jamos well.

If I connected an amplifier to the preout would that not totally bypass my avr's amplifier? or would it use the amplifier+amplifier = two amplifier signatures?

It would bypass your AVR's amplifier, so it would not be Amp + Amp.
your Jamo would work as a preamp for the front channels.
However the Sound signature may change on the basis of what Power amp you use.
Alternatively if you want to biamp your setup use a Power Amp to driver the Low Fq and use the AVR internal Amp to power the mids/highs
However this depends on how the crossover is set on the E875.
I would not recommend the last part. But it can be done

Alternatively if you want to biamp your setup use a Power Amp to driver the Low Fq and use the AVR internal Amp to power the mids/highs
However this depends on how the crossover is set on the E875.

Biamping in the jamo is a joke!!
The tweeter gets a dedicated amp and bass + midrange gets another.

While Iam not sure of the advantages of the above, it is surely unfit for biamping. An amp which drives midrange and bass will drive the tweeter with no extra effort atall!!

Biamping in the jamo is a joke!!
The tweeter gets a dedicated amp and bass + midrange gets another.

While Iam not sure of the advantages of the above, it is surely unfit for biamping. An amp which drives midrange and bass will drive the tweeter with no extra effort atall!!

I've been trying to find some info about exactly this before you posted.
How did you find out about this? Like, how're you sure the tweeter only gets separate amp and not tweeter+mid / low + low?

Corelement -

Does your AVR has some way of allowing you to biamp , either by using your Surround back channels or some other channel ???

I am not talking about amps ability to drive a speaker

On another note
I wonder why Biamping exists ?? It should have been redundant by now

You can borrow my emotiva upa-2 amp for a few days to test out but you need to return it before 12th march. I am out of delhi so let me know if your interested.

Corelement -

Does your AVR has some way of allowing you to biamp , either by using your Surround back channels or some other channel ???

It has speaker A+B option but forces system into stereo mode. And the thing is when I set the avr to stereo, the volume decreases by 50% and the sound does not sound as transparent as when it's on DTS 5.1

On another note
I wonder why Biamping exists ?? It should have been redundant by now

I wonder too, vertical biamping of 1 amp to each speaker is a much better option than horizontal biamping.

You can borrow my emotiva upa-2 amp for a few days to test out but you need to return it before 12th march. I am out of delhi so let me know if your interested.

That's a really kind offer!! Sadly I have work related things that's going to keep me busy from doing any proper hifi testing for the next couple of weeks. :( Appreciate the thought though!

I've been trying to find some info about exactly this before you posted.
How did you find out about this? Like, how're you sure the tweeter only gets separate amp and not tweeter+mid / low + low?

I removed the jumper in the speaker ports and connected only the top speaker ports, only the tweeter is activated. Connecting only the bottom ports activates bass and midrange.

I have a NAD 2400 which I was tring to power the bass section alone with it. Can't do.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back