Marantz Owner Thread...

Presently I am using Denon AVR-2113 in power amplifier mode to Marantz NR1608 pre- out. I am seriously underutizing the Denon as its different a/v processing and remaining channels are not being used . Just wish to know any Marantz NR series user, uses a PA or IA( in HT Bypass) with front pre-out of AVR. What are your observations in this regards. I wish to sell Denon and move to PA or IA (with HT Bypass )

Hi Marantz Electronics owners,

Any one using both Marantz AV Receiver for Movies and Marantz Integrated amp dedicated to Music??

I presently own an Marantz SR 7013 AV receiver and I'm greatly loving it for Movies and its also not bad for music.

Any one finding the Marantz integrated sound fuller and cleaner and slightly better soundstage with the same set of loudspeakers, source and DAC for 2ch music?

I'm looking forward to get the PM8006.

Marantz AVR + Marantz Integrated owners please share your valuable thoughts.

I guess I found one thread by a forum member @kane who has/had somewhat similar setup.

Thank you

Hi Marantz Electronics owners,

Any one using both Marantz AV Receiver for Movies and Marantz Integrated amp dedicated to Music??

I presently own an Marantz SR 7013 AV receiver and I'm greatly loving it for Movies and its also not bad for music.

Any one finding the Marantz integrated sound fuller and cleaner and slightly better soundstage with the same set of loudspeakers, source and DAC for 2ch music?

I'm looking forward to get the PM8006.

Marantz AVR + Marantz Integrated owners please share your valuable thoughts.

I guess I found one thread by a forum member @kane who has/had somewhat similar setup.

Thank you

The quality of sound for stereo would also depend on the speakers & the source you would be using with the Marantz.

The quality of sound for stereo would also depend on the speakers & the source you would be using with the Marantz.
Agreed.. My main speakers are Paradigm Monitor 9 S7/V7 (those are discontinued now)

My music sources will be oppo bdp 103 - coax (bitstream), pc with foobar2000 (with wasapi push config) , android smartphone with USB audio player pro app and my current external DAC is a Schiit Modi 3.

I find the DAC of the SR 7013 and Modi 3 are nearly as identical (Modi 3 slightly better.. Not a deal breaker) when I try to bitstream same FLAC file from oppo bdp 103 (hdmi bit streamed to SR 7013 and playing from pc/smart phone via Schiit Modi 3 (connected through USB) and from the Modi to SR 7013 via Modi's Analog outs. (Tested on Pure Direct mode)

This shows Schiit Modi 3 DAC is in par with the AKM 44xx or slightly better (not worse) on the Marantz SR 7013.

I love the musical sound signature coming out of my mains. But, I feel there could be more fullness and the quiet sounds are too quiet at quieter volumes. But, if I crank the volume up.. Quieter sounds come out well. But, the louder sounds go way beyond the roof and it doesn't feel clean and good as it is with low volumes.

I really doubt Paradigm Monitor 9 S7/V7 reaches its pinnacle with the AVR amplification. I can also be wrong.

Any tips or help you can offer??

Agreed.. My main speakers are Paradigm Monitor 9 S7/V7 (those are discontinued now)

My music sources will be oppo bdp 103 - coax (bitstream), pc with foobar2000 (with wasapi push config) , android smartphone with USB audio player pro app and my current external DAC is a Schiit Modi 3.

I find the DAC of the SR 7013 and Modi 3 are nearly as identical (Modi 3 slightly better.. Not a deal breaker) when I try to bitstream same FLAC file from oppo bdp 103 (hdmi bit streamed to SR 7013 and playing from pc/smart phone via Schiit Modi 3 (connected through USB) and from the Modi to SR 7013 via Modi's Analog outs. (Tested on Pure Direct mode)

This shows Schiit Modi 3 DAC is in par with the AKM 44xx or slightly better (not worse) on the Marantz SR 7013.

I love the musical sound signature coming out of my mains. But, I feel there could be more fullness and the quiet sounds are too quiet at quieter volumes. But, if I crank the volume up.. Quieter sounds come out well. But, the louder sounds go way beyond the roof and it doesn't feel clean and good as it is with low volumes.

I really doubt Paradigm Monitor 9 S7/V7 reaches its pinnacle with the AVR amplification. I can also be wrong.

Any tips or help you can offer??

Hi Syed,

While I don't have an integrated Marantz amp but am currently using the SR 7011 with wall mounted Dali Oberon 1 speakers (front & surround) along with the SVS PC 2000 subwoofer since my fronts are small speakers. Earlier I was using the Pioneer bdp 180 as my source for music along with movies with an optical cable. But later changed my source for music with the Marantz CD 6006 UK edition( does not play sacd & flac files ). There was a noticeable difference in music & sound quality. I heard the BDP & the CD player with the optical & RCA cables & observed that
to my ears, the dac of the SR 7011 was more on the brighter side in my current setup, the Pioneer BDP's dac sounded on the warmer side with less details. The CD 6006's dac sounded on the warmer side with more bass, better vocals & more details . The dac of the cd 6006 sounded better & more musical than the dac of the SR 7011. I use the audyssey phone app & kept the MultEQ filter frequency range at 3013 Hz . In the audyssey setup the setting is at "Reference" for movies & "Flat" for music.
I get decent details at low volume & I generally don't crank the volume to more than 55%. The subwoofer helps a lot for listening at low volumes. My room size is 14 ft L X 11 ft W X 11 ft H. In the future may upgrade to bigger front bookshelves. But as of now am content with the sound for music & movies. Hope this helps.

Regards.

Last edited:
I too don't crank up the
Hi Syed,

While I don't have an integrated Marantz amp but am currently using the SR 7011 with wall mounted Dali Oberon 1 speakers (front & surround) along with the SVS PC 2000 subwoofer since my fronts are small speakers. Earlier I was using the Pioneer bdp 180 as my source for music along with movies with an optical cable. But later changed my source for music with the Marantz CD 6006 UK edition( does not play sacd & flac files ). There was a noticeable difference in music & sound quality. I heard the BDP & the CD player with the optical & RCA cables & observed that
to my ears, the dac of the SR 7011 was more on the brighter side in my current setup, the Pioneer BDP's dac sounded on the warmer side with less details. The CD 6006's dac sounded on the warmer side with more bass, better vocals & more details . The dac of the cd 6006 sounded better & more musical than the dac of the SR 7011. I use the audyssey phone app & kept the MultEQ filter frequency range at 3013 Hz . In the audyssey setup the setting is at "Reference" for movies & "Flat" for music.
I get decent details at low volume & I generally don't crank the volume to more than 55%. The subwoofer helps a lot for listening at low volumes. My room size is 14 ft L X 11 ft W X 11 ft H. In the future may upgrade to bigger front bookshelves. But as of now am content with the sound for music & movies. Hope this helps.

Regards.

Thank you so much for your valuable time for writing this.

My speakers bass response is just fine for what I'm listening to even without my two svs pb 1000 subs.

The dynamics is what I'm actually missing more to be precise as I love to listen in low - medium volumes. Sometimes at those volumes, sound of the wind (begining of snehithane from Alaypayuthae or the paddling sound of the shikara in Teri Nazar from 99 songs are less pronounced.they are very quieter passages though). But, If I push the volume up the quieter sounds are more revealing and the louder parts gets way louder and makes it difficult to listen for long period of time. There's audyssey dynamic volume that crushes the dynamic range more than it should.. :)

I love the tonality of my speaker and it does image good for most tracks and has wider soundstage. But, I wouldn't call it as holographic.

I actually paid an advance to a forum member for the used integrated..

A different dynamic speaker will get my job done. But, I don't know how it be on other parts and it'll collapse the HT since center and surrounds are well matched right now.

So, just trying to squeeze out more from my mains for music.

Thanks again for listening to my rambles:)

I too don't crank up the

Thank you so much for your valuable time for writing this.

My speakers bass response is just fine for what I'm listening to even without my two svs pb 1000 subs.

The dynamics is what I'm actually missing more to be precise as I love to listen in low - medium volumes. Sometimes at those volumes, sound of the wind (begining of snehithane from Alaypayuthae or the paddling sound of the shikara in Teri Nazar from 99 songs are less pronounced.they are very quieter passages though). But, If I push the volume up the quieter sounds are more revealing and the louder parts gets way louder and makes it difficult to listen for long period of time. There's audyssey dynamic volume that crushes the dynamic range more than it should.. :)

I love the tonality of my speaker and it does image good for most tracks and has wider soundstage. But, I wouldn't call it as holographic.

I actually paid an advance to a forum member for the used integrated..

A different dynamic speaker will get my job done. But, I don't know how it be on other parts and it'll collapse the HT since center and surrounds are well matched right now.

So, just trying to squeeze out more from my mains for music.

Thanks again for listening to my rambles:)

Hi Syed,
You are most welcome. Maybe my room is small hence I get to hear quite a lot of details at low volumes. I never use dynamic volume as you have rightly pointed it messes up with the sound.
Your Paradigm's seem good. In my case I use to miss bass at low volumes with the subwoofer prior to SVS. If the recording is good I get a decent sound stage with good details and I don't feel that my fronts are small. But I would agree that bigger drivers would make a difference on the midrange especially since I am not looking for more bass. Hence was planning to go for Dali Oberon 3. The details on the Oberons are quite good and they don't need to be toed in.
What if you try a friend's amp for 2 channel just for starters. Your speakers may be good and there may not be any need to change them since you like their tonality.

Regards

When I compare SR6011 with PM7005, integrated amp sound bigger and wider than AVR with same speakers.But at one point ,I find that more power of AVR controls speakers in better way.Music flows better in PM7005.Still Marantz is not the best choice for Rock type heavy music.They sounds best with Jazz ,Classical or soft music compared to other brands.Even Norge amp can control speakers well.

Could all these perceived differences be due to the Room Eq aspect of AVRs ? (Absent in IA) bcoz when I use Audyssey Bypass in AVR , the music sounds exactly like you mentioned (big, wide, more natural even with less harshness)

Could all these perceived differences be due to the Room Eq aspect of AVRs ? (Absent in IA) bcoz when I use Audyssey Bypass in AVR , the music sounds exactly like you mentioned (big, wide, more natural even with less harshness)
Music in avr is usually with Pure Direct mode.Still integrated PM7005 sounds bigger than avr.Now old maratz avr has bigger soundstage unlike current series.AI had posted comparison in other thread somewhere.Comparison is always done with same chain.

My query is more of similar way, I'm planning to split my electronics for Music and movies.
Currently I have a HTPC/NAS server which I use to play movies through Marantz NR1506 to my TV. No issues.
When I try to use it as a music device, the setup is not convincing.

Thus planning to add a stereo amp hooked to a tower speakers. Now the plan is, to use the pre-out of Marantz to handle the stereo receiver (More like a DAC/Preamp)
The doubt is, how does the marantz pre outs work when both the speaker and pre outs are connected?
I wanted to enjoy the system for both movies and music. Any suggestions guys?

My query is more of similar way, I'm planning to split my electronics for Music and movies.
Currently I have a HTPC/NAS server which I use to play movies through Marantz NR1506 to my TV. No issues.
When I try to use it as a music device, the setup is not convincing.

Thus planning to add a stereo amp hooked to a tower speakers. Now the plan is, to use the pre-out of Marantz to handle the stereo receiver (More like a DAC/Preamp)
The doubt is, how does the marantz pre outs work when both the speaker and pre outs are connected?
I wanted to enjoy the system for both movies and music. Any suggestions guys?
I use it that way with a SR6010 and a PM17 Integrated amp connected to Front L/R (Focal Aria floorstanders).
You can setup a smart-select option to configure a music mode with all processing off. This way, the AVR will do nothing to the stereo signal and send it straight out to the Integrated Amp.
Similarly, assign another Smart-select to enable Audyssey and Sound mode to Auto.
This way you can quickly switch between unprocessed stereo for music and regular AV model for movies/ TV

I have both Marantz SR 8012 AVR & Marantz PM6005 Integrated amp . Based on my experience ,I found integrated amp has a fuller sound and it was better than the AVR when connected to Dali Zensor 5. If music is main criteria I will prefer hearing it on a Stereo amp rather than AVR.

Don't limit only with PM8006 ,there are other better stereo amps out there too. So have an audition and decide.

I use it that way with a SR6010 and a PM17 Integrated amp connected to Front L/R (Focal Aria floorstanders).
You can setup a smart-select option to configure a music mode with all processing off. This way, the AVR will do nothing to the stereo signal and send it straight out to the Integrated Amp.
Similarly, assign another Smart-select to enable Audyssey and Sound mode to Auto.
This way you can quickly switch between unprocessed stereo for music and regular AV model for movies/ TV
Thanks for the reply. I think i should have explained better.
I'm planning for having 2 sets of speakers. (1. 5speaker and 1 subwoofer and 2. Two tower speakers)
The plan is when movies are played, it should be played through the 5.1 speakers connected directly to the receiver, and when music is played, it should play through the tower speakers connected through the integrated amp using the pre out of the receiver.

Thanks for the reply. I think i should have explained better.
I'm planning for having 2 sets of speakers. (1. 5speaker and 1 subwoofer and 2. Two tower speakers)
The plan is when movies are played, it should be played through the 5.1 speakers connected directly to the receiver, and when music is played, it should play through the tower speakers connected through the integrated amp using the pre out of the receiver.

You can do that if you have a AVR that supports Zone 2 and pre-outs
If I had to configure it that way, I would use the zone 2 pre-out for the Integrated Amp and wire the other speakers normally

To listen to music , you can switch AVR to zone 2 while movies will run through the directly connected 5.1 speakers when you select zone 1.

BTW any particular reason you want to do it this way? You can simply use the towers you wan to use for music as your L/R for movies also

Dear FM and Marantz owners, which is the best possible option of following
( only for 5.1.2 mode with same source and speakers)
Marantz NR1608 + Emotiva A-300
Vs
Marantz SR6013/14

Dear FM and Marantz owners, which is the best possible option of following
( only for 5.1.2 mode with same source and speakers)
Marantz NR1608 + Emotiva A-300
Vs
Marantz SR6013/14
I may prefer SR6013 as single.Poweramp if needed can be added to it later.

Has anybody updated their receiver through the ethernet connection on the router using a cat6 cable. I am getting a message for update pertaining to better stability & perfomance for the SR 7011 over the Wifi which I have been delaying for a long time. As per the Marantz dealer it is better to avoid updating the receiver over the net since the receiver hangs on quite a few occasions due to poor connectivity which has been a case with a particular FM too.
Up till now I use to take my pen drive to MZ & take the updates from him. But owing to the current Covid situation it is not possible. Wanted to now how safe is the ethernet connection as wifi is unreliable with uncertainties. Thanks.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back