Marantz Owner Thread...

Has anybody updated their receiver through the ethernet connection on the router using a cat6 cable. I am getting a message for update pertaining to better stability & perfomance for the SR 7011 over the Wifi which I have been delaying for a long time. As per the Marantz dealer it is better to avoid updating the receiver over the net since the receiver hangs on quite a few occasions due to poor connectivity which has been a case with a particular FM too.
Up till now I use to take my pen drive to MZ & take the updates from him. But owing to the current Covid situation it is not possible. Wanted to now how safe is the ethernet connection as wifi is unreliable with uncertainties. Thanks.
Never faced a issue with updating over wifi but thanks for the heads up. Will keep in mind for future updates.

Depends on your network environment.
If you are using the barebones router given by the ISP , use wired for an upgrade

Depends on your network environment.
If you are using the barebones router given by the ISP , use wired for an upgrade

The Router is a decent TP link purchased around a year ago with a modest 10 mbps speed connection. But the receiver is in another room at approx 13 feet distance with thick walls.
Although the receiver catches wifi yet am skeptical should there be an intermittent signal loss.
At least if the ethernet connection works reliably in someone's experience then won't mind following that route. Marantz or MZ audio ideally should have regionwise and model pertinent updates on their sites so we can download and update through usb which is the best option.

Has anybody updated their receiver through the ethernet connection on the router using a cat6 cable. I am getting a message for update pertaining to better stability & perfomance for the SR 7011 over the Wifi which I have been delaying for a long time. As per the Marantz dealer it is better to avoid updating the receiver over the net since the receiver hangs on quite a few occasions due to poor connectivity which has been a case with a particular FM too.
Up till now I use to take my pen drive to MZ & take the updates from him. But owing to the current Covid situation it is not possible. Wanted to now how safe is the ethernet connection as wifi is unreliable with uncertainties. Thanks.
Is there any major upgrade happening to any feature that you use or anything new being added? If none, then best to ignore it totally.

MaSh

The Router is a decent TP link purchased around a year ago with a modest 10 mbps speed connection. But the receiver is in another room at approx 13 feet distance with thick walls.
Although the receiver catches wifi yet am skeptical should there be an intermittent signal loss.
At least if the ethernet connection works reliably in someone's experience then won't mind following that route. Marantz or MZ audio ideally should have regionwise and model pertinent updates on their sites so we can download and update through usb which is the best option.
Wired for sure then. A 10mbps wireless just won’t be stable at all.

If you want anecdotal, I’ve done N number of updates over both wired and wireless with no issues whatsoever.
however I am a networkophile :p rather than an audiophile so am pretty particular about my wireless.
a wired connection with the avr on ups is pretty much 100% safe.

Wired for sure then. A 10mbps wireless just won’t be stable at all.

If you want anecdotal, I’ve done N number of updates over both wired and wireless with no issues whatsoever.
however I am a networkophile :p rather than an audiophile so am pretty particular about my wireless.
a wired connection with the avr on ups is pretty much 100% safe.

Thanks for the advise Superczar, really appreciate it.

Is there any major upgrade happening to any feature that you use or anything new being added? If none, then best to ignore it totally.

MaSh

Yes, the latest update is for stability & better performance. Honestly speaking am not facing any issues so far from the receiver . Only hoping they issue an update where the heat from the receiver reduces.

Yes, the latest update is for stability & better performance. Honestly speaking am not facing any issues so far from the receiver . Only hoping they issue an update where the heat from the receiver reduces.
Ah ok. In that case. Don't bother.

MaSh

Hello Marantz owners,

A newbie question -- I really love the look of Marantz slimline receivers (NR 1509, 1609 etc) and there are great reviews on how good these sound.
However, the power rating per channel is only 50W on these. Does this mean, these receivers are capable for driving speakers in a small to medium rooms ( < 200 sq. ft) for satisfactory listening experience?

Also, if a speaker requires power of 50W - 100W. Does it mean to extract maximum volume of the speaker, the power required from the amp has to be 100W?

Last edited:
Hello Marantz owners,

A newbie question -- I really love the look of Marantz slimline receivers (NR 1509, 1609 etc) and there are great reviews on how good these sound.
However, the power rating per channel is only 50W on these. Does this mean, these receivers are capable for driving speakers in a small to medium rooms ( < 200 sq. ft) for satisfactory listening experience?

Also, if a speaker requires power of 50W - 100W. Does it mean to extract maximum volume of the speaker, the power required from the amp has to be 100W?

I used the NR series in the past and they can decently drive speakers which are 6/8 ohms load rated between 50 watts - 125 watts......

I updated to SR series....I use the same in a 200sqft room which is an overkill....but SR series is a different league when it comes to quality of sound!

I never had any complaints with the NR series......my old NR1605 was sold to my friend and he still uses the NR1605 with 7 speakers connected. His room size is close to 600sq ft.

One of our Forum Member based in Bengaluru used the NR1606 with Dali Zensor 7 speakers.

If your speaker sensitivity levels are on the higher side...(more than 89db) you need less feeding of amplification to get a nice room filling experience....hence it becomes important to select the correct set of speakers with the correct AVR.

I used the NR series in the past and they can decently drive speakers which are 6/8 ohms load rated between 50 watts - 125 watts......

I updated to SR series....I use the same in a 200sqft room which is an overkill....but SR series is a different league when it comes to quality of sound!

I never had any complaints with the NR series......my old NR1605 was sold to my friend and he still uses the NR1605 with 7 speakers connected. His room size is close to 600sq ft.

One of our Forum Member based in Bengaluru used the NR1606 with Dali Zensor 7 speakers.

If your speaker sensitivity levels are on the higher side...(more than 89db) you need less feeding of amplification to get a nice room filling experience....hence it becomes important to select the correct set of speakers with the correct AVR.

Great. Thanks for the reply. My speakers are of 88db. I'm hoping that an 50W rated NR series receiver like Marantz 1509 should be able to drive them okay.

Great. Thanks for the reply. My speakers are of 88db. I'm hoping that an 50W rated NR series receiver like Marantz 1509 should be able to drive them okay.

Marantz slim line receivers are conservatively rated and I believe is for all channel driven, so shouldn't be a problem.

Consider adding a sub and you should be good to go, without any issue.

It will.....usually Audyssey setup does adjustments at conservative levels, you can manually increase the levels by 1db per channel and see if that makes the difference....bottomline, there is enough of juice for a decent playback

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back