Marantz Owner Thread...

Marantz Releases 2020 8K Ready SR-Series AV Receivers

Series: SR5015, SR6015, SR7015, and SR8015

Sound United is adding Pre-Amplifier mode to all their newest receivers which provides a clear signal path and more tolerance in clipping levels by disconnecting internal amplifiers when the receiver is used as an AV processor.

Last edited:
Hopefully the prices should come a bit lower for the 4K AVRs of SR xx13 or xx14 series.....time to catch the dealers and negotiate ;)

Just a question for Marantz owners especially whose has 50w per channel. If I buy 1710 and if I connect 7 speakers will I get 50w per channel for all the speakers.
As per the specifications they have mentioned it as only 50w per channel when we connect as stereo, I m not sure how much we will get power in case we connect 7 speakers .

There is no clearity about power rating of Marantz NR series. On some websites its written 50w/Channel for all channels and on some websites its 50w/Channel for 2 channels I owned Marantz NR1608 and it is certainly under powered for multiple channels listening with front floor standing speakers but for two channels they have sufficient power to drive floor standards effortlessly. With low sensitivity speakers below 87db they struggle to give sufficient spl and become uncomfortable for longer listening sessions. Integrating subwoofer makes a great help in this regards with 100hz crossover. I have added Marantz MM7025 power amplifier with it and have great results.

Just a question for Marantz owners especially whose has 50w per channel. If I buy 1710 and if I connect 7 speakers will I get 50w per channel for all the speakers.
As per the specifications they have mentioned it as only 50w per channel when we connect as stereo, I m not sure how much we will get power in case we connect 7 speakers .
All speakers don't demand power at the same time. More over you most probably would cross the speakers with sub for low frequency which are the actual power hoggers. In short 50w is plenty for a movie at listenable levels.

That said, you should consider adding a power amp to the front channels to have a better headroom.

MaSh

Thanks for the suggestions. In Marantz 1710, They have two preout for speaker and subwoofer. In case I'm going with pre amplifier. How can I connect pre out of marantz with pre amplifier.

Thanks for the suggestions. In Marantz 1710, They have two preout for speaker and subwoofer. In case I'm going with pre amplifier. How can I connect pre out of marantz with pre amplifier.
If the preamp has HT bypass input, you would connect preout from AVR here.
Otherwise, you are better off going straight to a power amp from AVR.
Connecting the preout of an AVR to line input of a preamp is just a headache because of dual volume control.

Cheers,
Raghu

All speakers don't demand power at the same time. More over you most probably would cross the speakers with sub for low frequency which are the actual power hoggers. In short 50w is plenty for a movie at listenable levels.

That said, you should consider adding a power amp to the front channels to have a better headroom.

MaSh
That would be true in the case of movies i suppose but not necessarily when playing music in surround mode. Also, to ensure that the speakers are not being taxed in such a relatively non-powerful receiver, the speakers need to be set to “small” in speaker config so that the low frequency information is not sent to them.

Your marantz is the Preamplifier. You will connect a Poweramp to marantz's preout for front speakers.
That would be true in the case of movies i suppose but not necessarily when playing music in surround mode. Also, to ensure that the speakers are not being taxed in such a relatively non-powerful receiver, the speakers need to be set to “small” in speaker config so that the low frequency information is not sent to them.

Yes speakers can be crossed only if they are set to small which they should be.

MaSh

Your marantz is the Preamplifier. You will connect a Poweramp to marantz's preout for front speakers.

Yes speakers can be crossed only if they are set to small which they should be.

MaSh
Thanks for the tip :) :). Wasn’t aware that speakers don’t get crossed if you don’t set it to small.

Thanks for the tip :) :). Wasn’t aware that speakers don’t get crossed if you don’t set it to small.
Yes if set to large, they get full range signal. Only when you set it to small you can set s cross over.

MaSh

Highly unlikely. Something like a Marantz SR6013 will struggle to put out 50Ws to all channels, let alone their slimline receivers.

I use the SR60XX series and I dont see any struggle for my speakers. I use all 7 channels and drive it on half volume which is quite enough for my listening area which is approx 400 sq ft...its quite loud. My speakers are rated 10-150 watts at 8 ohms.

It all depends on what speakers are connected, their sensitivity specs etc. I have used the NR series in the past (since 2012 ... changed various models) and now on the SR series for the last 4-5 years....The NR series will not disappoint as its a decent performer with a small foot print.

Besides audyssey settings which are conservative, manual tweaks can be done to increase speaker levels if required to achieve the desired output. Many have tried the same cautiously and achieved satisfying results. My audyssey settings after setup is kept on FLAT rather than REFERENCE...it makes a huge difference in quality and sound output.

The experience and performance can vary for everyone depending on type of speakers used, placement etc...this is my take .....

These links have some good information which can help....

Hi Eddie,

Totally agree with you in the case of 6XXX series & if there is a sub in the setup then there is more power for the avr to spare. Besides not all the channels call for equal amount of power at the same time. Maybe only in the case of demanding speakers of lesser ohms & sensitivity there could be an issue when driven by a lesser wattage amp. Besides as you have said Audyssey can be tweaked accordingly for the speaker levels.

Regards.

I use the SR60XX series and I dont see any struggle for my speakers. I use all 7 channels and drive it on half volume which is quite enough for my listening area which is approx 400 sq ft...its quite loud. My speakers are rated 10-150 watts at 8 ohms.

It all depends on what speakers are connected, their sensitivity specs etc. I have used the NR series in the past (since 2012 ... changed various models) and now on the SR series for the last 4-5 years....The NR series will not disappoint as its a decent performer with a small foot print.

Besides audyssey settings which are conservative, manual tweaks can be done to increase speaker levels if required to achieve the desired output. Many have tried the same cautiously and achieved satisfying results. My audyssey settings after setup is kept on FLAT rather than REFERENCE...it makes a huge difference in quality and sound output.

The experience and performance can vary for everyone depending on type of speakers used, placement etc...this is my take .....

These links have some good information which can help....

Agreed, it depends on the speakers that are connected. Having said that, My system sounds a little thin if all channels are playing i.e. 7.irrelevant.2. However, the SR6013 also struggles to drive my front LRs even in stereo mode. For reference, they are six ohms.

Last edited:
Agreed, it depends on the speakers that are connected. Having said that, My system sounds a little thin if all channels are playing i.e. 7.irrelevant.2. However, the SR6013 also struggles to drive my front LRs even in stereo mode. For reference, they are six ohms.
I had paired mine SR 6013 with QA 3050i towers (which are 6 ohm speakers) and it never break a sweat in 2 channel.
May I know, what makes you believe that it is struggling to power your speakers in stereo,

I had paired mine SR 6013 with QA 3050i towers (which are 6 ohm speakers) and it never break a sweat in 2 channel.
May I know, what makes you believe that it is struggling to power your speakers in stereo,
It produces next to no bottom end in my floorstanders. While driving my bookshelfs, it manages far greater bass.

Hi

Firstly the SR5008 model globally had some bugs in certain units,,,,this is a known issue where you will find countless threads on google.....

MZ Audio are straight forward people and the rest of the HT dealers get the Marantz products from MZ Audio (Dealer rates) which then is purchased by consumers like us. I know AshrafBhai (Owner) quite well.

The SR5008 was built like a delicate darling where boards are placed to close to each other...(Don't forget, I too owned one briefly for a year...eventually sold it).

Set Top box should never be connected to the AVR as the cable line which comes to your house has a tendency to carry electric current and hence frying of the HDMI board and related circuitry.

Currently I have connected the HD Set top box directly to TV and audio out (Optical) from TV to AVR....safer this way.....no issues till date.

Most of the models of Marantz I used so far was purchased without warranty and I sold my older models without any issues. All the ones which I sold are working perfectly fine without any issue till date and the buyers are very happy.

I think its more about checking all factors like electric points, connectors, wires and ensuring that the AVR is treated / handled in the right manner....follow the book...nothing can go wrong.....

Hope this helps....
sir,
I plan to buy Marantz SR 5012 from one of the sellers of Trade India group is it OK can I proceed do you have any experience ?
Thanks in advance

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back