Marantz Owner Thread...

MZ Audio (Mumbai) largely imports Marantz in India.....contact Sayyed and ask for a sweet deal....I am sure he will rope in a good rate....shipping will be a bit extra to your specific location.

On some serious note-
I find marantz is playing with its original sound and power quality.l have been following marantz avrs last few years and found their power handling is not good as 7-8yr back.
Recently l got chance to compare SR6011 with SR6006 back to back in same setup.Headroom and soundstage of 6006 was much better than 6011.Sound of 6006 can be considered as thich ,weighty or fuller.On other hand 6011 sounded very clean but thin or airy.l found on loud volume it was struggling though not harsh.
Compared to 6006 , marantz 5005 was better in power even though it is 5 series avr with lessr watts per channel.
I had listened to 6008, 7007 and still say that they are not upto their specs.
HDAM was introduced to AVR from ***7 series and cants say if that is an issue.Even if you see 6011 has 9ch ,but power consumption is mere 680w.Old marantz avrs,even 5 series has 650watt power.
All what l feel is that sounstage,headroom and power handling is compromised even if we a lot for AVR.Same l find with 8012.lt has good power but refinement is surely missing.Checkout 7012 and 7013,marantz site has mentioned 7012 as 110watts in fist line.lts specsheet also says it.lt was supposed to be 125w.

I guess with the latest features like ECO run and all, AVRs are losing its actual performance....

I had the SR6008 which had no Eco mode.....it worked just fine and optimally provided 100 watts output (maybe 80 watts)......sound was rich and fulfilling.

I traded up to the SR6009 and when using the ECO mode, found the power handling low,,,,,same speakers, same song, etc......

When i turned the ECO mode off, the beast was unleashed.....so i use the AVR everytime without ECO mode......quality matters for me...not bothered about the electricity i may save using the ECO mode.....

If the NR series used the same quality components of the SR series, i would have never moved to the SR series....NR is more than enough

On some serious note-
I find marantz is playing with its original sound and power quality.l have been following marantz avrs last few years and found their power handling is not good as 7-8yr back.
Recently l got chance to compare SR6011 with SR6006 back to back in same setup.Headroom and soundstage of 6006 was much better than 6011.Sound of 6006 can be considered as thich ,weighty or fuller.On other hand 6011 sounded very clean but thin or airy.l found on loud volume it was struggling though not harsh.
Compared to 6006 , marantz 5005 was better in power even though it is 5 series avr with lessr watts per channel.
I had listened to 6008, 7007 and still say that they are not upto their specs.
HDAM was introduced to AVR from ***7 series and cants say if that is an issue.Even if you see 6011 has 9ch ,but power consumption is mere 680w.Old marantz avrs,even 5 series has 650watt power.
All what l feel is that sounstage,headroom and power handling is compromised even if we a lot for AVR.Same l find with 8012.lt has good power but refinement is surely missing.Checkout 7012 and 7013,marantz site has mentioned 7012 as 110watts in fist line.lts specsheet also says it.lt was supposed to be 125w.
I had hands-on experience but mine is almost opposite to your opinion.
Older model SR6006 I believe which was aniemic but SR7011 Slams.
How come it is possible !!!
May be audysee

Last edited:
I have not heard 7011,but marantz has written 110watt in the first place.l have compared the models mentioned earlier with same speakers side by side.Echo mode was off.l am considering power and headroom.Even 2 ch music is not as good as earlier models in terms of soundstage and power.As said early,sound is very clean with newer models,but with towers,they are not as good as earlier models.
I also got to test Onky 525 and Yamaha 667.Yamaha soundfield and power better tjan sr6008.Onkyo had better control and soundstage than yamaha 667.

I had hands-on experience but mine is almost opposite to your opinion.
Older model SR6006 I believe which was aniemic but SR7011 Slams.
How come it is possible !!!
May be audysee
6006 has enough power and it reflects in HT lab measurements.If you see 7007 ht lab power reading,6006 show good numbers with less distortion.l do not simply go by specs,but listening experience is the way which l did.lt depends on speakers too.We could test with towers with 2X 6.5in kevlar cones which go down to 4 ohms.Yes we changed impedence also in 6011. Again l am comparing mostly same 6 series marantz avrs.Also for 9ch ,it use 680watts only.Trebles apears sharp when listening avr on loud volume.

Hi Folks,

There I come back again! It's the love of music in particular which pulls me back repeatedly! And believe me its an awsome feeling connecting back!!

I am posting somethingafter ages, but here's the (rather selfish?) trigger..

I currently have 2 channel stereo setup. Pretty simple at that. Marantz PM6004 paired with an upgradef FS the Q accoustic 3050 and believe me I am enjoying every minute of(sec!) over the past Paradigm FS Mon V6 the 4 drivers version, which was picked up on sale by a fellow FM. Along the way I added a maveric Tubemagic D2 and also WD live hub TV, which is now outdated with no YouTube support now.

Recently I came across a Marantz product which caught my instant interest, the network player NR1508 5.2 with amazing network integration capabilities! Now I feel the urge to upgrade and being with Marantz for the past 6 years, it's now I am sort of blinded and obsessed with it remarkable build & sonic quality. I am told that the sound output is no comparison to Integrated amps. Hence i will still need to retain my PM6004 for playing music
My need is now clearly to upgrade with an online streaming source be it music or video and also add on the surrounds for a superior cinematic experience. Basically a one stop integrated and wire free network for playing from any offline or online source.

My room setup is 26 x 15'. Budget for AVR is about 25~50K.

I am looking for suggestions and experience around this product (NR1508). Appreciate suggestions on any better alternatives and solutions so that I can integrate with my existing setup. Also looking for surround speakers & Center speakers to pair up are also welcome. Considering HEOS capabilities, wireless options would be great too.

Hi

The NR 1508 will be just fine for your place......i owned the previous models of 1402, 1501, 1601, 1604, 1504 and 1606 before i traded up to the SR series......Audyssey setup works just fine and will configure the speakers optimally...if you feel the levels are low, you can manually adjust the levels of the sources and even each speaker to your desire......

Most brands of speakers blend well with Marantz, (Boston Acoustics, Bose, JBL, Taga, Yamaha, BIC America, Pioneer, Jamo, Wharfedale, etc) all depends on what type of speakers and the budget for the same. Look at speakers which have high sensitivity (90db and above)....

Better to audition the kind of speakers (Satellite or Bookshelf) you would like and take a call........you can list down the speakers that interest you and then share the same with us to help you finalise something....

All the best!

Any idea how effective it will be if I interconnect the existing Amp through the Pre-out of the AV receiver? I would like to retain the amp for sure.

There is only a pre out for L+R for the NR series of Marantz AVRs.....in terms of effective, you will get more power for the speakers through your existing amp....

Before you do all that first check if the NR series is good enough to run your speakers and only if required then hook the existing amp....

Read the specs of both the NR1608 and NR1508 and decide.....from what i heard now the NR1509 and NR1609 are launched....

I did that and was advised for the SR5012 which jacks up the budget to 79K. The key difference I see primarily the power output besides all channel pre-outs, which I dont really need.
My Q accoustics 3050 FS speakers recommended Amp rating is 25 ~100 W as per their official website. So right now in a dilema. Hope to decide soon.

Hi

The NR series chugs out 50 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms...your speakers are 25 - 100 watts at 6 ohms load.....technically the NR series would chug out approx 70 watts rms at 6 ohms which is more than sufficient to drive your FS. Also the sensitivity of the FS is 92db....so no worries there...

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-acoustics-3050-floorstanding-speakers-pair.html#specs

Now you need to take a call if you want the NR1508/09 OR the NR1608/09......

The 1608/9 will give you atmos capabilities.....or you can use the remaining 2 channels to Bi Amp power to your FS if required (not really).

There is only a pre out for L+R for the NR series of Marantz AVRs.....in terms of effective, you will get more power for the speakers through your existing amp....

Before you do all that first check if the NR series is good enough to run your speakers and only if required then hook the existing amp....

Read the specs of both the NR1608 and NR1508 and decide.....from what i heard now the NR1509 and NR1609 are launched....one of our fellow members had ordered the NR1508 thru Hifimart for 34k and was sent the latest NR1509 for the same price......

Call up Hifi Mart and confirm......

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/marantz-av-receiver-for-₹33-990-00.70765/

Yes. There is also a possibility that you order NR1608 and you get NR1609 in same price before the offer runs out ;)

yes, I got some interesting recommendation as well Pioneer LSX-303. Quite a masterpiece with an integrated chrome case and google home. Its just that it does some 100W /channel @ 8 ohms and 200 W /ch @ 6 ohms. A bit sceptical of using the 3050's but am told it will be just fine and will give more control with higher power. Hence a bit uncertain. Folks please share your experiences. Thanks Murli & efernand1 for your suggestions

Well,if you can audition, it will be easier to decide.....you can also browse the Pioneers owners thread to check on the LX 303 performance and review

Hi. I am using NR1606 with Nuprime STA-9 poweramp and KEF speakers both for movies and music. My analogue and digital sources connected to Marantz and is used as preamp. Should I use a pre-amplifier in place of NR1606 for improvement of music.

A Pre-amp can be a good option to distinctly segment the power stages. However not sure how would then cascade your source /NR1606 media source especially if it is a digital one. You will then need a good DAC as well to feed the pre-amps for clean source.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back