Marantz Owner Thread...

This might sound spooky but hope you guys know MZ Audio isn't the official Marantz Indian distributor in India, well i contacted Marantz few days back by email & Facebook & there confirmed that there is no official Marantz Indian presence, this is the reply i got from them-

"Hi xxxx, We do not have distributors in India unfortunately"

Go ahead & contact them on Facebook or by email & get ready to get shocked lol.

So guess we getting dealer warranty from MZ only as there is no official distributor for Marantz in India.

Thought would share these info with your'll.

Cheers.

This might sound spooky but hope you guys know MZ Audio isn't the official Marantz Indian distributor in India, well i contacted Marantz few days back by email & Facebook & there confirmed that there is no official Marantz Indian presence, this is the reply i got from them-

So guess we getting dealer warranty from MZ only as there is no official distributor for Marantz in India.

Cheers.

From what i know, even if MZ Audio is a dealer.....they have their contacts in Singapore / APAC from where they import Marantz products.

http://www.marantz.sg/sg/support/pages/contactus.aspx

They get in touch with their Singapore source and confirm if the repairs or service is covered...thats why we have seen a delay in repairs or replacement for Marantz AVRs.....at their Bandra Showroom ...there are always a couple of AVRs come in for servicing or repairs...

It is scary to know that warranty may not be covered but the fact remains that if one uses the AVR carefully for a year....warranty is not covered after that.....honestly warranty in India is sad when compared to US or other countries which offer 3- 5 years.....

Hi - Wanted to hear from Marantz PM6006 owners about their experience with this amp. Did not find a lot of info online - in fact there is one YouTube post which talks about an issue with the Digital section and few others have also mentioned about experiencing the same issue.

Currently PM6006 is available for quite an attractive price on hifimart etc and I was looking at adding this to my existing setup.

Some background - I have Denon X2100 with Tannoy Mercury V4i floor-standers and JBL surrounds. The movie watching experience is excellent. The music listening experience is ok but after you read about Marantz owners feedback, it feels that it can be improved quite a bit (upgrade bug :) ). While I am checking out online info on PM6006, also looking at an option to buy a used PM6005.

From what I gather PM5005 does not have toroidal transformer - so not sure if I should check that out as well.

Hoping that I would get to audition these at this weekend's WhatHiFi show (Ritz-Carlton Bangalore).

Hello All,

I am planning to purchase marantz nr1608 and i have some questions.

1. It is having preout for front so can I connect active speakers to it? I own edifier 1280t.

2. Do I get true 5.1 effect via airplay from my macbook

3. Which speaker would be best match ( I am little short on budget so thinking of 5.1 package like yamaha, denon or jbl) or should i opt for stereo setup for now (BA a26, polk s15 or any other in the range)

4. Any other advice or best place to buy the AVR

Thanks in anticipation

Cheers.
oh, thanks a ton for this info. My experience at this place was not at all confidence inspiring.
Took my SR6006 AVR for repairs and just could not get myself to leave that thing there.

Where can I get the SR6006 AVR repaired ???
It has been at the heart of my music and movie experience for the last five years.
Was paired with Whardale 9.6 FS. No Sub was needed/used.

The problem -
After few minutes into a movie or a song, the sound in both channels goes off. The HDMI passthrough does not get affected.

If the source is HTPC the video keeps being passed through without any issue.
If the source is USB pen drive (playing FLAC/mp3 ) the song duration counter continues and other info is displayed normally.
The port hole display too does not show any change or indication of malfunction.
It is just as if MUTE has been pressed.
Initially when the problem started the sound used to come back after a few minutes of waiting. But this duration kept on increasing.
Finally the AVR sound came back only after switching off for a few hours OR maybe the next day, but only to go mute in a few minutes.

I can hear a distint 'out of place' CLICK of a relay when the sound goes mute.
Also, sometimes the second click which is heard while starting up is not present and then the sound is missing too.

Not entirely sure which is 'cause' and which one is the 'effect'. Whether the relay tripping is due to NO SOUND or vice versa.

In two words 'agonizing pain' :-(

HELP

Hello All,

I am planning to purchase marantz nr1608 and i have some questions.

1. It is having preout for front so can I connect active speakers to it? I own edifier 1280t.

yes, it can be used for active speakers as well besides a Power amp

2. Do I get true 5.1 effect via airplay from my macbook

I haven't used a 1508 but can say that irrespective, if its music that you play most, it plays best on "stereo" or at best "extended stereo"

3. Which speaker would be best match ( I am little short on budget so thinking of 5.1 package like yamaha, denon or jbl) or should i opt for stereo setup for now (BA a26, polk s15 or any other in the range)

Marantz pair well with Wharfale, KEF, Q-accoustics, MA Bronze, etc. you could choose bookshelves which should fit in your budget as well. Folks are somewhat bright. Best to audition and choose those which suit your liking

4. Any other advice or best place to buy the AVR

I see you are in Pune, some cool places are AV excellence (Boot club), Soundfactor (east street), Aquarius (east street). Hifi mart provides some great deals and provides excellent deals, better than most brick n mortar shops. Speak to Anil there.

Thanks in anticipation

See inline responses

Pardon typos made in haste. I do not see any option to edit the original post.

Read Avxcellence, "Boat club"
Read "Polk Audio" as being brighter speakers

Hello All,

How is Marantz NR 1508. I had auditioned 3067/377 and i liked the movie sound effect. How different could we compare Marantz 50w RMS with regular AVR for movies and music? I would be using satellite speakers with powered sub for now. Also have a pair of 80W 8Ohms bookshelf component speaker which i am planning to pair with the front channels of the AVR i purchase.

Thanks.

Hi

Although the Marantz NR1508 has only 50 watts continous power at 8 ohms...it seems to have enough of steam to drive most speakers.....a fellow member used the 1606 with Dali Floor Stading speakers......since you will use satellites....should be enough....

Also putting a 80watts 8 ohms speaker to it will run well...if the speakers have higher SPL...88db and more ...you will get more better output...

Hello All,

How is Marantz NR 1508. I had auditioned 3067/377 and i liked the movie sound effect. How different could we compare Marantz 50w RMS with regular AVR for movies and music? I would be using satellite speakers with powered sub for now. Also have a pair of 80W 8Ohms bookshelf component speaker which i am planning to pair with the front channels of the AVR i purchase.

Thanks.

Marantz Stereo Integrated Amps have no dearth of power and outrun many in the race. I have a PM6004 and it drives the Q Accoustic FS 3050 very well and no where lacking in power. The Volume is mostly at 9'O clock unless the source level is too low and have to push it a bit higher. Earlier I used the Amp to drive Paradigm FS Mon 7 V6 and experience was no different. Both these floor standers however have one thing in common. Their sensitivity is 90db +. Thats a key spec. to watch out for ! The written AVRs power specs can be at times misleading. Be careful to read through them accurately. Look out for the RMS power per channel and not coloured specs such Rated Power at 1 Khz, etc. The power you experience will be way lower than the legacy amplifiers.

Their sensitivity is 90db +. Thats a key spec. to watch out for !
Just curious how Marantz AMP (5005) will drive 86db speakers. Do i need to raise more volume knob(more than 11'o clock position) to reach the level what you get in 90db speakers.

Just curious how Marantz AMP (5005) will drive 86db speakers. Do i need to raise more volume knob(more than 11'o clock position) to reach the level what you get in 90db speakers.

Hi

Typically you would require to crank up the volume for speakers which are power hungry...again dependent on impedance and actual watts the speakers require and can handle.....the 5005 is the entry level stereo amp from Marantz....you cannot expect to run monster speakers which may require double / triple the power than what the 5005 can effectively deliver across at all frequencies at 4 and 8 ohms load...

A lot depends on your room size and listening position as well. Most standard way of representing sensitivity values is at 1m distance. So farther the distance the more and more volume is required to fill the room with sound. But generally don’t get Carried way with these specs! I have seen few extremely low power amps shelling out impeccable control over the drivers compared so some three digit powered amps that feel so anemic that you always tend to pump up the volume hoping for quality sound.
In general high sensitive speakers are much easier to drive for any amp, that doesn’t say anything about the quality of the sound nor the max achievable SPL (there are many other factors to this like the design and components used for the driver itself )
Also any bookshelf always has one mid range and one tweeter. The tweeters always have high SPL over the mid range . However the most manufactures state only one SPL figure (which I believe is measured taking the bookshelf as a whole ) now if you were to Biamp the system, then you will have more control of exploiting each drivers loudness quotient.

Hi

Typically you would require to crank up the volume for speakers which are power hungry...again dependent on impedance and actual watts the speakers require and can handle.....the 5005 is the entry level stereo amp from Marantz....you cannot expect to run monster speakers which may require double / triple the power than what the 5005 can effectively deliver across at all frequencies at 4 and 8 ohms load...
Exactly i am looking for list of speakers to match marantz 5005. If you have any list in mind to consider, please share.

Exactly i am looking for list of speakers to match marantz 5005. If you have any list in mind to consider, please share.

You need to look at speakers which have minimum 90db SPL and above......secondly whether these are Bookshelf or FloorStanding ones......ensure that they deliver maximum frequencies across 20hz to 20khz.....The more closer you are to both these points, the better sound quality and performance.

What is your budget? If not much, you should then consider some pre owned ones on sale over OLX or our Classifieds section on HFV.

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/bookshelf-monitor/

http://sayhifi.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=235_253

Above links are indicative.

Let me give you a real example......

My younger bro had the PM 6005 which were hooked up to Dali Z3 whose SPL was 88db....recommended power was 25 to 125 watts 8 ohms....

The moment we turned the volume upto 11 clock....the amp used to clip and go into protection mode....the PM6005 was 45 watts 8 ohms.....

Bottomline, he sold the amp, got the Marantz SR series 6000 series and now is able to pump in 110 watts RMS in these speakers.....enjoying every bit of performance from them.......no clipping or overheating issues....

So...in short...look for speakers that can run from 10 watts rms onwards as minimum....SPL should always be higher than 88db or better......

You need to look at speakers which have minimum 90db SPL and above......secondly whether these are Bookshelf or FloorStanding ones......ensure that they deliver maximum frequencies across 20hz to 20khz.....The more closer you are to both these points, the better sound quality and performance.

What is your budget? If not much, you should then consider some pre owned ones on sale over OLX or our Classifieds section on HFV.

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/bookshelf-monitor/

http://sayhifi.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=235_253

Above links are indicative.

Let me give you a real example......

My younger bro had the PM 6005 which were hooked up to Dali Z3 whose SPL was 88db....recommended power was 25 to 125 watts 8 ohms....

The moment we turned the volume upto 11 clock....the amp used to clip and go into protection mode....the PM6005 was 45 watts 8 ohms.....

Bottomline, he sold the amp, got the Marantz SR series 6000 series and now is able to pump in 110 watts RMS in these speakers.....enjoying every bit of performance from them.......no clipping or overheating issues....

So...in short...look for speakers that can run from 10 watts rms onwards as minimum....SPL should always be higher than 88db or better......
I was looking at hifimart recommendation combo Marantz 5005 + WD 220. But the speaker is 86db and 25-100W recommended power. Will it match as per your suggestion ?

Budget less than 20 K

Look for minimum 88/89db in any speaker.....secondly also check the specs....if budget is a challenge...then suggest you look at preowned speakers over OLX or classified section of HFV

Back