Marantz Owner Thread...

You're right.
I know some config missing somewhere. The TV is not able to sense the Atmos compatible AVR on its ARC port?
I'm watching Our Planet and some other Atmos content from Netflix, some test DolbyVision + Atmos content from Dolby Access app, TV shows only 'Dolby Vision' on the top right when those from Dolby Access is played. I know certain titles are Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos on Netfliz, those are shown only Dolby Vision, that means its not sensing the Dolby Atmos capbilities on AVR for some reason!
Tried setting it to TV internal speakers, with Dolby Atmos set to ON and I see both Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos on the top right corner when these test content and Netflix content are played.

Also, tried following couple things with not much luck,
1> Sent the TV Audio to AVR using Optical, just to see if I can see Atmos enabled on content (that is actually atmos enabled)
2> reset both the devices (LG C8 and Marantz sr6013) to factory settings to see if I can get atmos working over hdmi, looks like either I'm repeating the mistake excellently or some configuration I'm missing.

The tv is connected to the avr via hdmi. Yes the avr does a much better job of audio decoding. I just don't understand why the pcm goes off when i put off the tv
You will need to post the detailed wiring sequence i.e. what sources are you using and how are they connected to the TV
e.g. In my case, all devices go to the AVR HDMI ports while the TV is connected to the AVR HDMI out and the ARC HDMI port on the TV
The TV is set to bitstream via HDMI ARC
Thus if I am playing something on my DTH/ ATV/ PS4/ CC, the HDMI stream goes to AVR
The AVR strips the audio , converts to analog and plays it back . If the inbound stream is DTS, it will decode DTS
If inbound stream is DD, it will decode DD etc etc

It will then pass through/upconvert the video and send it to TV for video display

If I play something directly on TV, the AVR will switch to TV audio and decode the TVs audio output

Something sounds odd with your setup because TV ON showing PCM presumably means your TV is hooked via ARC to the AVR and your TV is set to PCM out instead of bitstream
So when your TV switches on, your AVR switches to PCM mode
However that should not have any impact on other sources unless your other sources are connected to the TV - You do really need to post your detailed connection diagram and settings in order to get meaningful help!

Also, tried following couple things with not much luck,
1> Sent the TV Audio to AVR using Optical, just to see if I can see Atmos enabled on content (that is actually atmos enabled)
2> reset both the devices (LG C8 and Marantz sr6013) to factory settings to see if I can get atmos working over hdmi, looks like either I'm repeating the mistake excellently or some configuration I'm missing.
ATMOS don't work via optical anyway as TOSLINK peaks out at plain vanilla DD/DTS
I should have actually asked this first - What model is your TV?
All but the latest flagship TVs support only ARC and no eARC
ARC is limited to DD+/DTS+ and thus ATMOS won't work via plain ARC
Some TVs can multiplex ATMOS over DD+ but you need to check if your TV specs mention that

If not - In that case, Your only option would be to hook a ATV4K or Fire TV 4K or similar directly to the AVR

ATMOS don't work via optical anyway as TOSLINK peaks out at plain vanilla DD/DTS
I should have actually asked this first - What model is your TV?
All but the latest flagship TVs support only ARC and no eARC
ARC is limited to DD+/DTS+ and thus ATMOS won't work via plain ARC
Some TVs can multiplex ATMOS over DD+ but you need to check if your TV specs mention that

If not - In that case, Your only option would be to hook a ATV4K or Fire TV 4K or similar directly to the AVR
It is LG OLED65C8PTA. From the specs and a quick search, it doesnt seem to have eARC, just the ARC. is that going to create bw limitations for passing atmos!?

It is LG OLED65C8PTA. From the specs and a quick search, it doesnt seem to have eARC, just the ARC. is that going to create bw limitations for passing atmos!?
Alright, I read this that ARC may not be able to carry Atmos (unless its Common-Mode ARC that is better than single mode and can carry metadata-enhanced audio transmission). Not sure about LG's implementation of ARC on C8 models. If anyone's got this working, would be a good information to share. Thanks.
Ref: http://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2018/06/25/dolby-atmos-over-hdmi-arc

How to test DSD through hdmi in my SACD disc format with my Marantz UD-7007? Any tips?
As per specs,you need a SACD recorded with DSD format and audio(digital) will be sent via HDMI.That HDMI should be connected to DSD decoder device like AVR supporting DSD processing.

As per specs,you need a SACD recorded with DSD format and audio(digital) will be sent via HDMI.That HDMI should be connected to DSD decoder device like AVR supporting DSD processing.
I am planning to connect my TV optical out to my DIY DAC which supports DSD. Hope they work.

I am planning to connect my TV optical out to my DIY DAC which supports DSD. Hope they work.
Again 2 issues
TV should support DSD.
Also does optical/coaxial can pass DSD signals?Then why can't UD7007 output only via HDMI?
According to other forums optical will not support DSD pass through.
Most of DAC accept DSD via I2S/usb I guess.

Again 2 issues
TV should support DSD.
Also does optical/coaxial can pass DSD signals?Then why can't UD7007 output only via HDMI?
According to other forums optical will not support DSD pass through.
Most of DAC accept DSD via I2S/usb I guess.
I think coaxial don't support DSD because of license issue with SONY. Only Sony players provide DSD through coaxial.

Hi all, I have the Marantz 7011. Before buying this receiver last year, I also wanted to audition Nad T 751 MK 2 but didn't get a chance. There has always been competition between Marantz & Nad since long & both are respectable receivers. Since I have not heard the Nad, can any Marantz owner here share their music quality experiences having previously owning Nad receivers in comparison to Marantz .
How is the sound signature different from each other. While I do agree that all of us have different tastes & speakers also make a big difference along with the room acoustics but I am sure there would be a general consensus.

Guys
Would the Marantz NR1509 be able to drive a pair of PSB Image T6 ?

Hi

As per the specs available......these are efficient speakers.......it all depends on how loud you are gonna hear them.....

Technically they may need more power....at least 100 watts RMS minimum at 8 ohms......so through Pre Outs available on the NR1509....you can hook a suitable power amp and drive them.....

Guys
Would the Marantz NR1509 be able to drive a pair of PSB Image T6 ?

Hey,

With a Sub or without? These speakers go down to 4ohms whereas the receiver can just about to do 6 ohms (spec 6-16ohm). If running full range, the receiver would struggle to provide power for the bass frequencies. If using with a Sub, there should be no problems at all.

MaSh

Hi. I have purchased a new marantz 5013 which is yet to set up. At present, I don't want to use TV/screen. How can I set up my new avr without TV?

Its easier with a display, however, you can use use the display on the receiver.

MaSh
I think 5013 does not come with a display but just a small round source indicator and thus it may be mandatory to connect a display for setting it up.

I am yet to open the box. I am under impression that avr set up is guided by on screen menu.

In theory,
You can - but it's a lot easier to do it with a display - even a basic PC monitor will do.
If you are feeling macho, you can use the tiny display as it can and does show all options but be prepared to spend a whole lot of time whilescrolling through options
The other (and much better) option is to hook the network port, check your router DHCP logs / status to identify the IP of the receiver and then open the IP on a browser where you will find all settings in a layout that's a lot easier to navigate and in fact better than what it is on the OSD

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back