Marantz SR6006 overheating - need help/advise

SunilGupta

Hi,

I purchased a used SR6006. Hooked to Onkyo 8 Ohm 5.1 speakers (from the previous, dead, Onkyo receiver). Issue I am facing is that, unless the room is airconditioned, the system rapidly heats up and shuts down, even at low volumes.

I added two fans under the top cover, powered externally by a 12V DC supply, and the system is far more stable (unless I play at > 90% volume).

The issue is that these fans (expensive ball bearing, 50mm) are very noisy and mar the listening experience.

Other than a repair option (which according to a few posts wont work) - is there any other solution that might work - I have turned off the video pass-through and other options that are known to cause issues. The amp is also powered off when not in use.

Thanks!

Hi,

I purchased a used SR6006. Hooked to Onkyo 8 Ohm 5.1 speakers (from the previous, dead, Onkyo receiver). Issue I am facing is that, unless the room is airconditioned, the system rapidly heats up and shuts down, even at low volumes.

I added two fans under the top cover, powered externally by a 12V DC supply, and the system is far more stable (unless I play at > 90% volume).

The issue is that these fans (expensive ball bearing, 50mm) are very noisy and mar the listening experience.

Other than a repair option (which according to a few posts wont work) - is there any other solution that might work - I have turned off the video pass-through and other options that are known to cause issues. The amp is also powered off when not in use.

Thanks!
Have a look at this. A bit costly option though. It has got great reviews.

Hi,

Thanks!
Can you open the case and see how much dust/debris is on the heatsinks?
Given the age of the receiver, it's quite likely that a lot of dust bunnies would be on the sinks not allowing them to dissipate heat.
A careful cleaning may be all that you need

Have look at computer cabinet cooling fan which comes in size of 120mm, 140mm.
They are silent and moves lot more air then 50mm fan.
Also you can run those fans on 7v, 5v to further reduce their rpm, but I think then also they will move air then 50mm fan.
Some company I knows noctua, corsair, cooler master.

Are those fans run on DC power? I run 2 computer cooling fans powered by USB inputs (not from receiver though) it maintains the receiver temperature under control at all times. it does not make any noise and less vibrations. Most importantly, you should position the fan in such a way that it vents the air out. Use the mobile charger cable where you cut off the end with smaller pin and the connect to the fans using red and black (if there are yellow, blue or green - dont use them as they are meant to control the speed according to the temperature and it is not useful for us here).
You need to playaround with cutting and soldering but it is do-able.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Did you run audyssey after connecting the speakers? Could you post a picture of your setup? These receivers need extremely good ventilation all around.

MaSh

IS your subwoofer passive? Might be sucking the life out of the amp.

If onkyo speakers are of HTIB, then they may have lower sensitivity and 6 ohm impedence .That can heat up avr and shutdown.Also keeping fans directly on top cover may be a problem.Try ruining avr in open area(on ground) and see if same issue remains.

Can you open the case and see how much dust/debris is on the heatsinks?
Given the age of the receiver, it's quite likely that a lot of dust bunnies would be on the sinks not allowing them to dissipate heat.
A careful cleaning may be all that you need
Thanks for the note - I did blow clean the system to no effect!

Did you run audyssey after connecting the speakers? Could you post a picture of your setup? These receivers need extremely good ventilation all around.

MaSh
Thanks! Yes, I did. Do not think heating is an issue with not configuring the sound setup with Audessey.

Are those fans run on DC power? I run 2 computer cooling fans powered by USB inputs (not from receiver though) it maintains the receiver temperature under control at all times. it does not make any noise and less vibrations. Most importantly, you should position the fan in such a way that it vents the air out. Use the mobile charger cable where you cut off the end with smaller pin and the connect to the fans using red and black (if there are yellow, blue or green - dont use them as they are meant to control the speed according to the temperature and it is not useful for us here).
You need to playaround with cutting and soldering but it is do-able.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, the fans run on a dedicated 12V SMPS. I had to find 50mm fans that were just 10mm thick that I placed under the top cover using magnets, ran the wires out from two rear slots to the SMPS - so that I do not have any fans on top of the unit (as the unit is kept on top and is fully open to sight). I used simple 2 wire ball-bearing fans from Sunon.

If onkyo speakers are of HTIB, then they may have lower sensitivity and 6 ohm impedence .That can heat up avr and shutdown.Also keeping fans directly on top cover may be a problem.Try ruining avr in open area(on ground) and see if same issue remains.
Thanks. The speakers are all 8 Ohm. And I play at low volumes most times.

Have a look at this. A bit costly option though. It has got great reviews.

Thanks - these are pretty steep (> 10K). https://www.amazon.in/Infinity-Cooling-Receivers-Cabinet-Components/dp/B01LVW4SLP/ref=sr_1_1

I got this for Marantz 6012. It's been very effective so far to keep my AVR cool. Without these fans, the top cover of AVR used to get uncomfortably warm. You just need a normal 5V adaptor to run these. These fans are very silent.

Would be better to keep it on Eco mode if it has that setting & try the AC Infinity cooling fan as suggested above. If you are running the receiver in an air conditioned room then that should suffice with the eco mode turned on. Pls don't cover the top of the receiver while using it & it should have at least 3 to 4 inches of space on top & around for ventillation.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back