Mi Tv Series in India

I have downloaded Planet earth two episodes ( 4k HDR file) and wonder woman 4k HDR print also. Will take them and try this weekend let's see if a 8gb file can be handled by the TV
What format your downloaded? HEVC (MP4) or VP9(Webm) , I did some experiments and Mi Tv 4 cant handle file which has 4K content encoded in VP9 codecs.
More details here

I am confused between 43 inch MI TV vs 55 inch MI TV.

Priority:
1. Picture Quality - Color natural, Viewing angle, without lag streaming contents from internet fullhd or 4k
2. value for money - It should cheap compare to compitator
3. Long Lifespan - At least 5 years without any trouble
4. Future Ready - 2-3 Years. if 4k contents and channel available in next 2-3 years then would go with 4k TV.
5. Best Panel - still not understand which one is superior Samsung SVA or LG IPS. - I think 43 has LG IPS panel and 55 has Samsung SVA

Thanks,

Hey guys, seems like few of them along with me received their MI TV 4
lets talk about calibration ???
My settings right now goes like this
All preset modes seems to be on cool temp side, so had to stick with custom profile
Back light - 60
Adaptive Back light - ON
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 45
Saturation - 40
Sharpness- 10
Hue- 50
Colors- Warm
Dynamic color- ON
Dynamic Contrast - ON

these are just my initial settings, need to have a deeper look with various movies
seems like my HDMI cable gave up as it is not able to handle HDMI 2.0 when connected to laptop and throwing weird red spots and flickering. I'm assuming it because lack of 18GBPS bandwidth in this cheap cable. I ordered Amazon basics HDMI cable which is supposed to work well with HDMI 2.0
If everything works well, i can have a look at HDR and post more in depth calibration

what are the values u guys r using ? How did u guys do u'r calibration ? I'm still searching for credible pictures/videos which are used universally to fine tune it.
Above values are just calibrated with various movies.

Update - i calibrated using AVS HD-709 patterns
Seems like MI pre calibrated it well already. I had to change just d basic things which manufacturers regularly set to high like backlight & sharpness. Apart from that everything was perfect already

These were my final values after a lot of time spent analyzing various patterns and they r close to default

Brightness -50 (Blacks were already calibrated by MI perfectly, it wasn't as bad as few big reviewers claimed. )
Contrast-50(TV) and 55 for (Nvidia powered laptop connected with HDMi as it was clipping whites- had to manually override nvidia seetings for contrast to get rid of clipping)
Sharpness - 20
Saturation - 45
Color - Standard
Back light - 50

I couldn't play accurately with Hue(tint) & Saturation/Color because lack of blue filter glasses to calibrate accurately. So i had to depend on few movies but still light tinkering is needed as i feel display is little more on cold side. Warm mode feels like too much yellow, sweet spot 6500k somewhere lies between standard & warm preset which i'm yet to find.

If anybody has blue filter glasses or calibration equipment can help here to find the sweet spot 6500K

Other users also may post their observations using the above mentioned patterns of AVC HD 709

One major thing i'm not liking about software is, my custom preset settings done in HDMI goes back to 'Monitor' preset whenever i restart the laptop or TV. I should again change the preset every time. Hope MI can fix this with software update. Any credible place to report this bug ??

Mi TV 4A Rival by Vu Televisions to Launch in India Next Week
Expected from VU.
Since last few years claiming to be No 1 Online TV brand by making false claims of california based company.
Whereas what they sell is rebranded Hisense Tvs with buggy os and no updates.
Currently they sell the 55 inch for 50-55k. The quality of the new range is definitely going to reduce a lot in order to match the price of Mi.

Expected from VU.
Since last few years claiming to be No 1 Online TV brand by making false claims of california based company.
Whereas what they sell is rebranded Hisense Tvs with buggy os and no updates.
Currently they sell the 55 inch for 50-55k. The quality of the new range is definitely going to reduce a lot in order to match the price of Mi.

Thanks for reply. My main concern is picture quality. as MI TV 4k 55 inch. is using samsung VA panel.

is it best 4k panel till date? compare LG IPS which 1 is superior in terms picture quality.. As i know that the IPS panel is for best viewing angle and suitable for living room.. but i will use TV in bedroom. will it make any sense to think about IPS panel.

price diffrent is near by double between 55 inch 40k and 43 inch (MI TV 4A) 23k. if budget is no issue then which 1 should pick.
but it should be value for money in terms of hardware and configuration.

After reading the responses, I want to ask who does the gaming 24 hours to even care about the lags? In our country can we even get a 4k TV at this price? Even if we do, what are the choices available at this price range? I feel this will just along the successful sales pattern of the MI phones in the months to come! For the ones who already own LG, Samsung, Sony 4k TV - this MI TV may not be as good as yours but it is relatively better at this price range because MI have built faith in indian consumers already to establish an incredible TV market in India

After reading the responses, I want to ask who does the gaming 24 hours to even care about the lags? In our country can we even get a 4k TV at this price? Even if we do, what are the choices available at this price range? I feel this will just along the successful sales pattern of the MI phones in the months to come! For the ones who already own LG, Samsung, Sony 4k TV - this MI TV may not be as good as yours but it is relatively better at this price range because MI have built faith in indian consumers already to establish an incredible TV market in India

started testing some gaming with my SONY TV(1080p) side by side
Tomb Raider 4K was obviously better on MI TV terms of response time and quality
Planning to buy Mass effect Andromeda for true HDR experience

Watched War for planet of apes, Dunkirk in HDR which impressed me a lot. I don't have any other HDR capable display to compare side by side but i did watch few same demo videos which were played on LG/Samsung OLED when i visited showroom a month ago- digging from my memories to compare quality approximately, I felt MI TV matched upto 60-70% of flagship OLED quality in balancing highlights and shadows in HDR. Contrast was the only thing which was lacking when compared to flagship 3 lakh TV but we cant blame the panel here because OLED has better contrast any-day. When we compare with other LED- I can confidently say MI TV is a flagship product. Colors in HDR are identical to LG OLED. I couldn't compare brightness because showrooms tend to keep demo sets in vibrant mode, MI TV brightness was adequate for me in a room with a tube light(I usually watch perfect quality movies with lights off). Except contrast( it's good but not on par with OLED obviously), everything felt competitive with flagship TVs out there which costs around 2 lakhs+. No up-scaling is present(i hate TVs when they do up-scaling anyways which looks artificial)

P.S. This is approximate testing, as i already mentioned- i need to rely on memories and eyes to compare but definitely MI TV is competitive with other models.

*Still hunting to find sweet spot of white balance 6500K for SDR videos. Hope somebody could help :)

How did you playback the files? Directly from TV or any other media player?

Does the TV show any notification when it's playing HDR content?

Both
Used laptop (should support HDMI 2.0a) via HDMI in PowerDVD, MPC. HDR was perfectly working as we can clearly see shift in colors immediately.
Important- make sure you have a good HDMI cable(I used Amazon basics 6ft) which is 6 feet or less in length. I had 10 feet cable earlier before purchasing Amazon basics which was not able to transmit 4k 60Hz signal on HDMI 2.0a properly due to length. 4k 60HZ is supported only upto 6 feet cable
After connecting appropriate cable, press menu button on remote, go to playback settings and switch HDMI mode to 2.0 in TV
When u switch, Windows automatically detects it as HDR display. Only switch HDR and advanced color setting 'On' in windows Display settings when you are going to watch HDR content or else desktop looks terrible due to bad optimization of Microsoft/Nvidia(Videos look perfect but don't use HDR mode in desktop) Netflix windows app detects and plays HDR immediately when u switch on that option in windows.

I also played same HDR files which has raw Dolby/DTS audio natively in TV inbuilt media player. HDR worked and it was absolute same output as laptop. I didn't expect TV to support such high quality file natively with inbuilt media player.

NO, TV won't show any HDR symbol but be rest assured. If you are sure about the file as true HDR, rest back and enjoy.

Last edited:
My previous TV was Samsung 32" 720p so you see a big boost for me :)
In my home, we watch TV at 6+ feet distance so this TV is working great for me , even 720 p kids cartoon we find great,
Full HD and 4K is absolutely amazing, do checkout that Samsung clip, its 60 FPS, fast action, plus later in the clip they have HDR content and various colors

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back