Mid to high end speaker options

Re: Rockport technologies

(There is no mention of 3rd order bandpass anywhere)

I'm waiting for some of the more experienced members to chime in on this.

Meanwhile I have forwarded the same query to the designer/manufacturer also

Thank you sir

Excellent.

Jurgen will answer. I am sure. He makes the Ascendo Speakers..
He is a nice person - really friendly & helpful.

I would love to help - but my technical skills are below par - so I am sorry.
Maybe some other FM's who are more technically tuned in or are super C/C/P persons will surely help...All the Best !

C/C/P = Cut / Copy / Paste

(There is no mention of 3rd order bandpass anywhere)

So after these self contradictory statements, what consideration then do you give finally to the alignment?
Sorry for not being the idiot of the forum, but what did u mean by that post???? Doesnt my query make any sense? Also I think you could go into more depth on what pass band and acoustic filter is.

I have a small understanding myself, but would like to know more how do you achieve asymmetrical acoustic slopes?

I'm waiting for some of the more experienced members to chime in on this.

Meanwhile I have forwarded the same query to the designer/manufacturer also

Thank you sir

Hydrovac,

Apologies. No offense meant but I conceded in my previous post that I misread your post.
From the speaker schematic in the review, the bass module looks like a fourth order bandpass design to me.

Shall wait for the designer's comments as well.

Excellent.

Jurgen will answer. I am sure. He makes the Ascendo Speakers..
He is a nice person - really friendly & helpful.

I would love to help - but my technical skills are below par - so I am sorry.
Maybe some other FM's who are more technically tuned in or are super C/C/P persons will surely help...All the Best !

C/C/P = Cut / Copy / Paste

Bhagwan,

I am ok with C/C/P as long they have read and understood the contents, fully aware and know what they are posting.

I request the gentle member who shared a link (also some graphics) to read the review till the end

BTW does our forum rules allow posting of copyright and proprietary material?

Anyways, just received a mail from Jrgen Scheuring, CEO:)

Cheers!

Hydrovac,

Apologies. No offense meant but I conceded in my previous post that I misread your post.
From the speaker schematic in the review, the bass module looks like a fourth order bandpass design to me.

Shall wait for the designer's comments as well.

Nikhil,

It pains me when people try to show off their ignorance. Pl be informed that having designed and built some band pass enclosures, my skill levels are higher than

(You might have picked that up mistakenly from the term "F3 of the woofer"
That refers to the point where the woofer drops off by 3db i.e. at 29H).

It totally makes me not want to write anything and participate in this thread.

Cheers buddy!

Nikhil,

It pains me when people try to show off their ignorance. Pl be informed that having designed and built some band pass enclosures, my skill levels are higher than

(You might have picked that up mistakenly from the term "F3 of the woofer"
That refers to the point where the woofer drops off by 3db i.e. at 29H).

It totally makes me not want to write anything and participate in this thread.

Cheers buddy!

Hydrovac,

I have not hid my ignorance nor have I shied away from apologizing.
Have sent you a PM.

Let's move on.

Best Regards.

Hi Hydrovac,

Pls share what the designer has shared with you via mail wrt the design aspects of his creation, the Ascendo C8.

Thank you

So in about a weeks worth of listening - about 20 hours or so - I am able to describe the sound of the C8R with a little more clarity. First of all, no question about it, the rear ribbon tweeter really adds to the ambience around the stage, to me it appears deeper and more airy. Secondly the bass reponse in my room is excellent with these, the hidden woofer is really energizing the room in a most pleasing manner - no boom whatsoever and significantly better extension than the shl5, kick drums, organ based jazz etc. are revealing new dimensions that I had never experienced in my room prior to these.Finally the resolution of the coaxial driver is excellent, making me enjoy well recorded music, in long sessions. I am really loving all my blue note jazz recordings reproduced via the ascendos, hearing new details in the stage, inconsequential to the music, such as tapping of feet etc, but details nevertheless that exist on the recording.
In short, I have absolutely no regrets having let the Harbeths go, these to me feel like the upgrade I have been looking for all along, and the build quality is so much more superior that even at their price they seem vfm.
Cheers,
Sid
Ps: please note I am not endorsing ascendo per se, just describing my experience with them.

Last edited:

Ps: please note I am not endorsing ascendo per se, just describing my experience with them.

its ok sid... there is no need for the PS.

these adjectives are quite understandable and doesnt mean you are endorsing a product.

and so what if you do / recommend it ?

its upto the folks to use their ears, wallet and brains to know what to buy.

you may remove this post after reading it.

njoi !!

mpw

@ MPW - The reason I use the disclaimer is simply to state that I am not affliated with the Mfr. in any way other than owner's bias (which really one should consider when any owner is praising his new acquistition).
Unfortunately here in India, it is quite difficult for one to use ones ears and ultimately their brains/wallets to decide anything in the mid/higher end due to the paucity of demo. equipment at the distributors & dealers. I have experienced this first hand in my year and half search for higher end speakers, having bought the c8R blind (I heard the same coaxial driver in another model for about 3-4 months in my room so I did have good understanding about its signature though). So hopefully posts of this nature will give our Fm's some idea of what they can hope to expect if they were to consider said speakers, in the words of a fellow music enthusiast, owners bias notwithstanding.
Cheers,
Sid

Note to FM's : I have changed the thread title to reflect discussions in the thread which are no longer connected to the original title.

Last edited:
Getting close to a month and approx. 50 hrs on the c8r's. I am thoroughly impressed by these. They have exceeded my expectations significantly. And an unexpected bonus, excellent synergy with my Kraft amp. I have a smile on my face after every listening session. I am loving these on my Blue Note Jazz series, especially the trumpet players - Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan etc, tremendous dynamic range especially when the players hit peak notes, sounds awfully realistic. And cymbal strikes are just sublime, the shimmer and decay are almost live. Bass extension and texture is also noteworthy - I keep reaching out to all my recordings with great bass to hear what I was missing all this time - especially the one's with a lot of emphasis on double bass players. BTW I am now of the firm opinion that the rear ribbon tweeter really adds to the ambience, and keep it on all the while. Without it, I feel as if the depth of the performance has shrunk. Ascendo is one heck of a speaker mfr., highly underrated though.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back