Mid to high end speaker options

Re: Rockport technologies

If I like a speaker a lot, then I will take the pains to import it as I have done for my Harbeth.
Cheers,
Sid
Sir,
Since you like the Harbeth Sound, take a demo of the Top Line Model & use it.
India has a D & D in Bangalore & I am sure he will 'accommodate' you on your needs.
It is a good speaker if you like 'british' sound.
BTW - are you open to used hi fi in India ? Or do you only want to buy brand new Audio Gear !!
BTW - I have used Dynaudio C5 in the past & they were super speakers - but the C1 looks better than it sounds.
The Focal is an excellently built product. If you like detail & resolution @ the cost of Musicality it is an good choice.
The only issue is will it mate well with a Lamm & SL [Amplification] ??
;)

Sir,
Since you like the Harbeth Sound, take a demo of the Top Line Model & use it.
India has a D & D in Bangalore & I am sure he will 'accommodate' you on your needs.
It is a good speaker if you like 'british' sound.
BTW - are you open to used hi fi in India ? Or do you only want to buy brand new Audio Gear !!
BTW - I have used Dynaudio C5 in the past & they were super speakers - but the C1 looks better than it sounds.
The Focal is an excellently built product. If you like detail & resolution @ the cost of Musicality it is an good choice.
The only issue is will it mate well with a Lamm & SL [Amplification] ??
;)

Thanks Bhagwan - Yes I am in touch with Indian D&D for the Harbeth m40.1. One thing I am quite sure it will not work in my room, I have asked a lot of m40.1 owners and all of them are unanimous - side walls at-least 3-4' away and backwalls the more the better. My Shl5 which is next smaller speaker in Harbeth line is just about working in my room 4' away from back wall and 2.5' away from side walls. I cannot pull any speaker out more than this, so for now M40.1 is out. Yes I have reservations about C1, not heard it extensively but for me the Dynaudio top end is little too ripe, however overall I like the Dynaudio sound, so am considering c1 - it is different from the Harbeth sound. Focal diablo I have heard and it will be sideways move from the warmth and musicality of the Harbeth sound which I am enjoying now, and again diablo is a resolving champ, different from harbeth. Matching with my system - not sure - but what can be done. If the speaker does not match then I will have to sell and start over.
Regarding used, I have no issues, but consider that an Audiogon buy, one has to add shipping and customs, for example shipping dynaudio C1's I got a quote of $1200. So assuming I buy for approx. $4000 (used price of agon on c1), add $1200 for shipping and assuming best case customs at another $1200 to $1500, my cost for an used pair will be $6400 to $6700. Price of new pair in US (base finish) is $7700. So is a 12% savings worth it? So you can see my logic in finding an Indian D&D who prices his products same as US retail (so far there are 2 dealers I have found).
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

Thanks Bhagwan -
Regarding used, I have no issues,
Cheers,
Sid

If you OK with USED - My TAD is for sale;
22/- K Euro is [was] Suggested Retail.
I will let it go @ 10/-K [Final] - Euro

Only speaker in the world with a Black T & P Accuton Woofer & a 30mm [original] Diamond Tweeter - no other speaker [book shelf at least] uses this tweeter [cost issues] !

It is a super speaker - come over - listen & take a call.

There are enough D & D's in Mumbai - spend a few days here - listen to all their set ups & maybe some speaker takes your fancy.

BTW - My Speakers ship in a Flight Case - the problem is to get their stands out - 80kgs each...

:cool:

If you OK with USED - My TAD is for sale;
22/- K Euro is [was] Suggested Retail.
I will let it go @ 10/-K [Final] - Euro
Excellent price Bhagwan. Will definitely think about it before I make a final decision and get in touch with you if I decide in this direction.
Cheers,
Sid

An update! My speaker search has ended. Just took delivery of a pair of Ascendo C8 Renaissance. First impressions listening to them cold out of the box- Awesome :yahoo:. I think I have stepped up significantly from my previous Harbeth Shl5's.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

An update! My speaker search has ended. Just took delivery of a pair of Ascendo C8 Renaissance. First impressions listening to them cold out of the box- Awesome :yahoo:. I think I have stepped up significantly from my previous Harbeth Shl5's.
Cheers,
Sid

Congrats Sidvee! Looks brilliant in every way. I'm sure it'll sound fantastic. Are Ascendos priced well locally? It appears Audire is the distributor.

Congrats Sidvee. Looks to be a very interesting speaker with a coaxial thrown in

Congrats sidvee! Excellent choice!!

I was seriously considering the same speakers, but decided against due to my room.

Congrats Sidvee! Looks brilliant in every way. I'm sure it'll sound fantastic. Are Ascendos priced well locally? It appears Audire is the distributor.

Thanks ROC. Yes Audire is the distributor. They are priced reasonably well, not a tremendous markup over international pricing, however I really liked the handholding by Audire to import these as they are quite large and heavy and ship in 4 boxes.
Cheers,
Sid

Congrats Sidvee. Looks to be a very interesting speaker with a coaxial thrown in

Thanks Prem. Actually I made up my mind on these after I got their smaller brother's the C6 in for an upcoming review. That coaxial driver which is common amongst their C & D ranges is one of the most transparent I have heard in the recent past.
Cheers,
Sid

Congrats sidvee! Excellent choice!!

I was seriously considering the same speakers, but decided against due to my room.

Thanks Ranjeet. In my case, I was apprehensive about the size of these, in my small room, however the key is that these are large stand mounts and not floor standers. And this makes all the difference in my room. They are not exciting any of the mid bass nodes that cause boominess, that even small floorstanders could excite, imo due to the cabinet extending all the way to the floor. Bass is really extended and tight and the best I have heard in this room so far with these. Also one of the reason I chose the C8R over the recently released D9 or D7 albeit at a slightly higher price point, that were recommended by Jurgen Scheuring of Ascendo.
Cheers,
Sid

Congratulations Sid. How do they sound compared to the C6 that you had for review?

Thanks Captain. They have the same house sound because they use the same coaxial driver, however these sound significantly better, more forward, greater bass (tighter and deeper), even sharper imaging and huge soundstage. Of-course these are much larger, have a hidden 8" bass driver and a ribbon ambience tweeter, and are significantly more expensive. However as I explained in a previous post the key, is that they are stand mounters and that is really, what I have come to realize, will work the best in my smallish room.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Ranjeet. In my case, I was apprehensive about the size of these, in my small room, however the key is that these are large stand mounts and not floor standers. And this makes all the difference in my room. They are not exciting any of the mid bass nodes that cause boominess, that even small floorstanders could excite, imo due to the cabinet extending all the way to the floor. Bass is really extended and tight and the best I have heard in this room so far with these. Also one of the reason I chose the C8R over the recently released D9 or D7 albeit at a slightly higher price point, that were recommended by Jurgen Scheuring of Ascendo.
Cheers,
Sid

I do feel C8R is the real deal. I'm glad you chose it over others.

I'd be looking forward to hear detailed impressions (long term) in the coming days.

congratulations sidvee !

the harbeths to this will feel like daal to chicken curry :D

yummy.. !!

mpw

Cheers,
Sid

Super.
Congratulations !
This is a good speaker.
6moons audio reviews: Ascendo C8 Renaissance
2i0d5ki.jpg

&
mwfd6r.jpg

&
icpb9t.jpg

ascendo

This is a nice speaker.
Well represented in India - Audire;

I am sure it shall serve you well for may years.

All the Best !
Enjoy.

I am happy that after a long wait you got what you were looking for...:)

Ascendo C8
Type: Three-way or four-way floorstander with SASB bass unit
Frequency response: 29Hz32kHz -3dB
Impedance: 6 ohms
Sensitivity: 88dB 1W/m
Drivers: 1" fabric tweeter, 7" woofer with XP cone, 8.5" woofer with Kevlar cone, ribbon-tweeter
Dimensions: 11" x 43" x 15.5" (without base)
Weight: 77 lbs.
Price: $8500

Last edited:

Congrats Sid. Any changes planned on the amplification front or is the Lamm/SL combo suiting these as well?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back