Mid to high end speaker options

Re: Rockport technologies

Esteemed Members, especially those reading this thread - my speaker search specifically Rockport has been going slowly, mainly because I am very busy with work even on saturdays - so no time to travel around. Consequently I have been couch surfing and checking what high end brands are really available to me in hyd. and the list is woefully short, enough to count on the fingers of my left hand:sad:. There was a glimmer of hope when Meridian opened a showroom in hyd., apparently same dealer as Sound of Music - Delhi, Bangalore etc., and when I contacted them they categorically stated there is no 2 channel demand in Hyderabad, so no Rockport - btw their showroom is above a mercedes benz dealership and Jaguar and Porsche are within 2 km of this location - so evidently people who buy these cars (obviously there is demand as the showrooms exist and bunch of display cars - which the showroom owner spent his money to buy) do not really care for 2 channel in their homes (how can you show off some great speakers to people!) . Anyways I am stumped - I am going to audition Thiel 2.7 (when the hyd. dist. gets them). No focal, dynaudio or B&W higher end in Hyd, one old Avalon Ascendent - Some highly priced MBL, perhaps Avantgarde horns which really won't work in my setup or to my taste - that's it - We are in a an audiophile desert:rolleyes: I think I am going to agree with Bhagwan, Dr. Bass, Staxx et. al. no auditions please - we are Indians, just buy blind or hit the road and what, you want only 2 speakers? are u nuts, so many tollywood and bollywood mindless flicks and meaningless POP songs to be enjoyed:lol:. So at this point I will continue to enjoy the Harbeth Shl5, and perhaps some time mid next year when I have time to travel, will look for speakers to upgrade. Any suggestions - are welcome - after all our FM's are the last bastion of music lovers left in the Motherland.:eek:hyeah:
Cheers,
Sid

Sidvee, for what ever it is worth, since you are looking at Thiel 2.7 and also mentioned Focal, I would like to briefly describe my experience in changing from Thiel 2.4 to Focal Electra 1028be. The difference is enormous in every way.

The Focal employs better tweeters, it's higher sensitivity (2.4 was 87db only) reduces load on amp, the sound is far more attacking, all in comparison with the 2.4. The Unless the 2.7 is a major improvement over 2.4, choosing a tested Thiel over a blind focal would be a grave mistake. Thiel is a company that was in trouble after Jim Thiel died, and then was taken over by a PE company. Opinions about it today are not flattering.

I have no idea about the other brands you have mentioned - some of them may be better than the focal. However, after a long time spent in shifting homes, today input several hours of effort in correctly setting the focals up and I am very satisfied, in a way that Thiels never managed for me.

Thanks Gerry - actually the diablo utopia is high on my list - have heard it a few years ago at a dealer setup in US. Also since it is a bs design I am quite sure it will work well in my room. However since I am upgrading I was keen on getting a small floor stander for the additional bass extension and dynamics- hence the search for rockports etc. The floor standers in the focal utopia range are beyond my budget however.
Cheers,
Sid

Dinyaar uses the Diablo BS. Brilliant sound, and one can hardly imagine that it is a bookshelf. You might also want to look at Electra 1038. It is not small by any means, but definitely smaller than the smallest floorstander in the Utopia Range, the Scala. Initially I thought 1038 may be a bit too much for my room so I went for the 1028, but on second thoughts, after having tasted Focal, if I were to choose again, among floorstanders, I would look very seriously at 1038. I have not heard 1038 and Utopia Diablo side-by-side, but I would wager that what the Diablo bookshelf brings by way of extra refinement in the mid and top range, the Electra will almost match, plus give low end extension, and overall there may be little to choose between the two. They are similarly priced.

a]
Harbeth UK - High quality loudspeakers made in England
b]
MB2 SE | PMC Loudspeakers

Both these would be options.
They are 'represented' in India.

Initiate a conversation with respective D & D's & see what comes out of it.

Harbeth sound you know - since you use it.
PMC is good too. Both are British & both are stand mounted - since your room is not 'very big' trying to keep the 'bass' a bit 'tapered' may be an OK idea.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153579342190204&set=pcb.778220998911041&type=1&theater
This was a speaker that I could suggest - however, I have not 'heard' it - so it is a 'blind' offer...[sorry] !

Specifications:
Woofers 1 x 9" Carbon Fibre Sandwich Composite Cone
Midrange 6" Carbon Fibre Sandwich Composite Cone
Tweeter 1" Scan Speak Beryllium Dome
Internal Wiring Transparent Audio
Crossovers with the highest quality components and every speaker hand tuned by Andy Payor
Dimensions H1100 x W317 x D508 mm
Weight 66kgs each Shipping Weight 70kgs each
Frequency Response 28Hz - 30KHz, -3dB
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Sensitivity 87.5dB SPL/2.83v
Minimum Amplifier Power 50 watts
Rockport has been manufacturing since 1984 in Rockport, Maine, USA and turns out products that are second to none. Their loudspeakers are "no compromise" in every sense of the words. Custom finishes are available to suit your taste and there is a wide model range optimized for various room sizes and listening environments.

For complete details on Rockport loudspeakers please visit www.rockporttechnologies.com.

Last edited:

I have heard the Rockport Atria at my dealers showroom (picture above in Bhagwan's post I think - or is it the Avoir or even the Altair?), along with two other Rockports. I think this one was a smaller-form speaker designed for Japanese homes. But I am surprised that you are comparing these speakers in the same breath as the Focals (many of which I have also heard both in a showroom setting and in a couple of friend's homes).
These are like chalk and cheese in their presentation, although both brands use Beryllium tweeters in some (or is it most?) of their models. If your speaker search is to be successful you may have to narrow down the type of sound that you like to hear. In my opinion, the Harbeth and Rockport fall into one general camp (although a broad one) with the Rockport being more on the neutral side. While the Focal is on the dynamic and lively side of presentation. My personal taste is towards the Rockport side. Of course, there are others which fall somewhere in between.
All the best with the search....although you do have a lovely set of speakers at the moment. But I know what it is like to hanker for a change....nothing wrong with that! :)

Last edited:

. But I am surprised that you are comparing these speakers in the same breath as the Focals (many of which I have also heard both in a showroom setting and in a couple of friend's homes).
. If your speaker search is to be successful you may have to narrow down the type of sound that you like to hear.

I hear you Staxx, but the reason I am considering Focal Diablo BS is because I have heard it before and am quite sure it will work well in my room without any midbass humps/boominess and other unpleasant artifacts. OTOH I have not heard any of the Rockports other than the Flagship, and all of the current Rockports are floorstanders. I have communicated with a friend who has extensive experience with Rockports and he was confident that the now discontinued MiraII would work in my room but he is not sure of the current Atrias (BTW apparently Atrias are on demo in Delhi, so only a trip there will give me an idea). Regarding the type of sound I want, actually I am quite open to that, of-course I would prefer the mid range orientated signature of the Harbeths but I would not mind a more neutral sound either, or a more resolving sound as long as it is not clinical or bright. One more speaker I am intrigued by is the Spendor SP100r2 which apparently sounds similar to Harbeth M40.1 is also priced similarly, but a lot of users caution the reqirement of a large room. Anyways since any of these will be blind buys my gut instinct is to go with ones I have auditioned and potentially book shelf designs so as to work well in my listening space.
Cheers,
Sid

Interesting that the Japanese audiophiles love to use the 40.1 in their rather small rooms! Always been thought an oddity given the usual wisdom of a big space needed for the 40.1.
By the way, Prithvi should have the 30.1 soon at his showroom! I am looking forward to hearing those.
I have to say, from personal listening, if you are going the Rockport way go bigger rather than entry level, which I don't find such good value for money. The Atria is where I would start. However, if a bookshelf is what you are after then there are some great alternatives, I believe, like the Raidho (which I haven't heard).

My experience with both these brands are limited. I have heard CJ and Leben with Harbeths a few times. And then I have heard Rockport + electrocompaniet at the sound of music showroom in Bangalore. I find both the presentations very different that I would put them in completely different camps.

The harbeths are speakers I can live with while I could not warm up to the rockport setup especially considering the price points. They also had a goldmund 2-way speaker costing about 75 lakhs on demo. Coherent and neutral sound but at what price !!!

To be fair, when I heard them, the harbeth setups were fairly well setup and tweaked while the rockports werent.

I have to say, from personal listening, if you are going the Rockport way go bigger rather than entry level, which I don't find such good value for money. The Atria is where I would start.

The Atria is the entry level now, at $21.5k.
Cheers,
Sid

OK. I did not know that, i had seen some Miras earlier and thought they were still in production. Sorry.
Also I have a feeling that the brand had a rather warmer signature in its earlier iterations and have perhaps gone towards a flatter more neutral presentation now....

Hi Sidvee,

I think you seriously should look at Eventus Audio's IO Speakers.
iO

Best part is that you have the option of getting a home demo!

I have heard this speaker quite a bit paired with some mighty fine amplification from companies like Bryston & AVM.

A seriously good speaker which will do the business perfectly.

Even did an A/B with some Focal's discussed here & the Focals were no where near the Eventus, period!

@Denom,

The Eventus looks like very interesting speakers !

Like their cabinet technology. What drivers are they using? What is pricing like ?

Hi Sidvee,

I think you seriously should look at Eventus Audio's IO Speakers.
iO

Best part is that you have the option of getting a home demo!

I have heard this speaker quite a bit paired with some mighty fine amplification from companies like Bryston & AVM.

A seriously good speaker which will do the business perfectly.

Even did an A/B with some Focal's discussed here & the Focals were no where near the Eventus, period!

Thanks Denom, kindly pm me contact details. Will call them.
Cheers,
Sid

@Denom,

The Eventus looks like very interesting speakers !

Like their cabinet technology. What drivers are they using? What is pricing like ?

Loudspeakers from Eventus Audio, handcrafted in Italy

Sir,
Most details should be here - Rs. 4/- Lacs [Indian Retail - if you are 'lucky']
6200/- US $'s is retail.
But, the speaker - I may have preferred is the io.F @ Rs. 7/- Lacs.
Demo may or may not be possible.
A good speaker - none the less.
The Eventus was top 7 sounds for me @ MOC 2013 - Munich.
Recommended;
http://www.eventusaudio.com/EA/iOf.html
This is what I like.

Last edited:

I've heard both the io & io f. IMHO the F needs a bigger room. The io for a stand mount sounds big, accurate with a bit of warmth. I've heard it with bryston & belcanto amplification & dac, don't remember the speaker cables & interconnects.
Certainly worth an audition.
All the best.
Cheers

I've heard both the io & io f. IMHO the F needs a bigger room. The io for a stand mount sounds big, accurate with a bit of warmth. I've heard it with bryston & belcanto amplification & dac, don't remember the speaker cables & interconnects.
Certainly worth an audition.
All the best.
Cheers

That is great news - indeed.
So, if the Speaker is in India - a demo should be possible ?
In Mumbai for sure & maybe @ home - not aware how those Math / Logistics work...

If you do listen - take pics & write about the.

;)

no where near? interesting, what were the speakers from both focal and eventus that you compared with? what were the associated gear?

no where near? interesting, what were the speakers from both focal and eventus that you compared with? what were the associated gear?

Focal Electra 1028be
Focal Aria 926

Eventus IO

AVM A5.2T Amp

AVM CD5.2 CDP

Focal Electra 1028be
Focal Aria 926

Eventus IO

AVM A5.2T Amp

AVM CD5.2 CDP

I have heard the Focal Electra 1028be many times and found it to be a great speaker, If paired right i have always enjoyed the sound of focal's Electra and utopia line up compared to many other speakers i have heard in the past 15 years,may be that is one of the reason why some form of focal Electra is always part of my audio setup while other speakers keeps changing in my setup.

Eventus IO could be a good speaker but i have not heard it so could you let me where in India it is available for audition?

AVM A5.2T looks like an all in one integrated amplifier(amplifier not just dedicated to amplification) does not have peak to peak current rating and it produces 200 watts at 8ohm and does not double to 400 at 4ohms so i am guessing this is not a high current amp and generally middle range and high end focal speakers sing well when paired with high current amplifiers.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back