Mid to high end speaker options

Re: Rockport technologies

Hi Sidvee

Nola Micro Grand Reference could be a viable option.

Thanks Denom,
Room size 14' x 12' x 8.5'. 6xGIK 244 panels, corners and first reflection points, 2xEchobuster panels on wall behind speakers (short wall).Floor carpeted with a large area rug on top, with armstrong drop ceiling tiles. Musical preference- Jazz mostly, both instrumental and vocal.
Prefer highly resolving speakers, leaning towards the warm side of neutral. Amplifier power will not be an issue, obviously due to musical preference and size of room, but also have ample power on tap - so even speakers with 82-84db sensitivity and extreme low impedance ratings are fine.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks for the detailed reply Sidvee. Yes, your most certainly covered on the amp part of the chain, for sure :clapping: :licklips:

Hope that with this info, you get the right kind of suggestions for you to get moving in the right direction with regard to the speakers.

Best Wishes

:)

Here is a short list of speakers that meet my conditions:
1. Rockport Atria
2. Evolution acoustics MM Mini one (without base)
3. Raidho c1.1
4. Avalon Acoustics Transcendent
5. Focal diablo utopia iii
6. Dynaudio Confidence c2
I am hoping that I can get a home audition of last 2 speakers, but not sure. So I will start off here, and see where it leads. I have not had good luck in the past with ribbon tweeters so quite interested in 2&3 because they are highly regarded.
Thank you all FM's who have posted or pm'ed, your advice in invaluable, and highly solicited and humbly accepted.
Cheers,
Sid

Was reading about a brand called Tocaro, model 42D...looks so Harbeth-like. Not sure if it is possible for a home demo here but sure is something worth check out some time...

It should be possible for getting a home demo of Ascendo...not in your list?

Of the lot you've mentioned, I have heard only the Focal paired with Lamm...they they sound great! A bit on the agressive side...

DynAudio is a fail-proof choice. It never ceases to amaze me. And you have the kind of amp it takes to drive them, so they can be a great safe-buy for you.

I have had long listening sessions of Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne, at a dealer as well as an FMs place. It's a great speaker. It's not suitable for Rock kind of stuff rest they are mind blowing speakers.

From what I have read about Rockport, they need upstream components. Something you may want to keep in mind.

It should be possible for getting a home demo of Ascendo...not in your list?

Yes ascendo is an option as well, heard that Audire will be opening a showroom in chennai, so I will check it out there first. Since for home auditions, I will be paying for shipping, I will have to be reasonably sure beforehand by listening to the speakers at the showroom first.
Cheers,
Sid

DynAudio is a fail-proof choice. It never ceases to amaze me. And you have the kind of amp it takes to drive them, so they can be a great safe-buy for you.

From what I have read about Rockport, they need upstream components. Something you may want to keep in mind.

Hear you Ranjeet on Dynaudio's, but problem will be home audition. On Rockports, or indeed, any other speaker for that matter, synergy with my equipment is paramount, hence again the need for home audition.
Cheers,
Sid

Sid, about 5 years back I heard a Rockport Mira Mini (bookshelf model) driven by all MBL electronics. They were superb overall, just a tad bit drier than I would have liked. At that time I preferred the ATC to it. It was less compressed and tonally more realistic. Since then I have heard ATC many times (active and passive) and it has one quality which stands out (especially with well balanced electronics), i.e an unwavering sense of convincing the listener that what is playing is the truth. Truth as in reality. Whatever errors it might have are mostly errors of omission, very little errors of commission. This somehow translates into a presentation that sound very honest and very natural (a rare combination). It is a bit like analog vs digital, even a cheap analog system can sound truer even though some high end digital players present more information. Anyway, my intention is not to compare Rockport to ATC, I have negligible experience with Rockport anyway. It is just a general observation around ATC speakers.

Sid, I have had and lived with the Ascendo M, which I owned for about a year or so. They were one of the high end models (about $40K). My impression was that it was an interesting design but perhaps not the best that I had heard. It certainly seemed to me to be expensive for what I was able to get out of it. It did take a lot of dialing in and in fact it was also optimized with the Behold amplifiers using the room correction system designed by Ascendo - this is also an expensive add on, the RC module being in excess of eur 10k.
I think you have a really good shortlist - and I can recommend the Rockports and Dynaudio. The Focal is the furthermost from my taste (being too forward in the systems that I have heard) and the Avalons were second to the Marten for my system. They are very dry and neutral, but perhaps would work well with the Lamms. I don't have any experience with Evolution Acoustics, Raidho (which I am very curious to hear) and ATC. Best of luck! It is very enjoyable to be in this process of selecting high-end speakers.
I will add, that you will be in the very unique and unusual position of having a home demo for these brands - I never had that pleasure through buying tens of systems, many of them high-end.

I have heard the Nola speakers couple of times under show conditions. If you do not like the "presence" of a ribbon tweeter then you may not like it. Every time I heard it, the sound of the ribbon tweeters stood out. I am also averse to ribbon tweeter sound btw.

I have heard the Nola speakers couple of times under show conditions. If you do not like the "presence" of a ribbon tweeter then you may not like it. Every time I heard it, the sound of the ribbon tweeters stood out. I am also averse to ribbon tweeter sound btw.

100 % Correct.

I have been listening to Alon & then Nola for several years & they were never liked by me.

However, the new ones with improved Allnico Magnets & Drivers is very very nice indeed & the smaller they get the better they sound - to my ears at least.

Do listen to the 2013 models if you get a chance.:p

You never commented on the Triangle I suggested;

Thanks Bhagwan,
I heard triangles in the past. Though they had a nice sound, they never appealed to me, hence I am not pursuing them.
Actually by the time I consider home auditions, a lot of brands will not matter, just because of the fact that it will not be possible for the dealer to arrange that.
I just talked to our local B&W dealer, Vector systems, who is the dealer for Audio Vision, I believe, and he clearly stated that above the 6 series, he does not stock the models, so let alone a home audition, I will have to travel to mumbai for the 8 series, audition it there, then buy through him so he gets his cut for service not rendered to me:sad:. Same thing with the local JBL dealer when I talked to him about Revel. So though I know there will be many more excellent brands, I will limit my search to dealers who will make the extra effort and risk to provide me an home audition.
Cheers,
Sid

How about Cabasse??? Just learnt from their site that ProFx are the distributors!!!

I have heard just one of their models (a floorstandard that looked like an engorged B&W)...and it had an immense stage and depth...

Their sperical models look easy on the eye as well (esp if WAF is a concern ;) )

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back