Mid to high end speaker options

Re: Rockport technologies

Hi,

Dr Bass, thanks, I see, understood. I had also seen Tony of PFM place his monitor golds fairly close to the walls, though they would certainly not need any reinforcement for bass etc. But what a Beautiful pair in this ad you have posted, very expensive too, just the shipping mentioned in the ebay ad is more than what people at times consider spending on their speakers.

The link below will give you a better understanding of why the older Tannoys can be placed close to walls and corners.

Tannoy Monitor Gold Crossover: Frequency Response

The seller of the Monitor Silver's has some great vintage amplification .I noticed a pair of Beam Echo mono blocks and the RCA New Orthophonic amps in the background.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Dr. Bass,
Really appreciate your offer of assistance when I visit Singapore. I will definitely look forward to that. However, I will exhaust some of the options in Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai first, simply because I travel to these places and can check out options there first. I have been in touch with Sound of music, and they have the discontinued Mira II's at their Bangalore showroom. So that is first on my list, hopefully in the next few weeks.
And regarding home audition, yes I agree with on most of what you say, but this is going to be my last speaker purchase for the next 5 years, so I do not want even a slight doubt whether they will work or not in my room. For instance on my last speaker purchase the Harbeth Shl5, I spent 2-3 hours listening in the Singapore dealer's room and about 12 hours listening in the Malaysian dealer's room, and though now I feel I have the best placement in my room, I still feel some of the exceptional soundstage depth I heard in Singapore is missing. I also feel some of the phenomenal imaging of these speakers, that I heard at the Detroit dealer about 5 years ago, is also missing, and I know these are entirely room related. So since the Harbeth shl5 is relatively inexpensive I am fine with the compromise, but at $20k I want the full potential of said speaker to show up in my room.
Cheers,
Sid

Yes, imaging and soundstaging is highly dependent on room-speaker interaction. In Singapore almost every listening room has acoustic treatments to present a very deep and articulate imaging. After all they have been audio for 4 decades now so these things come to them naturally. BTW, even a taxi driver here knows Harbeth:eek:hyeah:

JBL S3900 loudspeaker, a three-way floorstanding tower that utilizes professional-grade drivers and components to deliver extraordinary musical realism in an elegantly proportioned dual 10-inch-woofer design. The S3900 is ideal for use in the highest-quality stereo music systems

I would suggest this speaker too;
It is sold in India & the D & D will co-operate on the Home Demo front;

HARMANs JBL Introduces Its High-End S3900 Floorstanding Loudspeaker at CES 2013

http://www.definitionbam.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/S3900.jpg

This speaker is Retailed @ 10/-K US $ so Rs. 6/- Lacs should be its price in India.

Its D & D in India has sold lots of Synthesis here & would have the speaker in stock.
A Demo & home audition should be possible - I assume.

Last edited:

Bhagwan, how is its tonality ? I have always heard of JBLs being "in your face".
From all i've read, the K2 S9900 is supposedly amazing but at 30K the 4700 might be within 20k.

Bhagwan, how is its tonality ? I have always heard of JBLs being "in your face".
From all i've read, the K2 S9900 is supposedly amazing but at 30K the 4700 might be within 20k.

Not These;

I have heard the Everest & the K2 & I like the K2 'more'
This model that I am suggesting to / for Sid, I have not heard - it is a 'new' launch - but if it is the same family - I could extrapolate how it will play;

I personally like this sound a lot.
In fact I would love to be the owner of a JBL K2 myself - some day - if I had a 'bigger' room....

The sound is not in your face at all.
This is a very refined & evolved - few will actually appreciate it - so I feel;
:indifferent14:

Thanks Bhagwan. I would love to hear one of these someday.

Sid, have you considered the Wilson Duette ?
apparently dealt in India by Audessey and i believe they have a showroom in Bangalore (there was a thread by them i believe)

these are "supposed" to be very placement friendly

Sid, have you considered the Wilson Duette ?
apparently dealt in India by Audessey and i believe they have a showroom in Bangalore (there was a thread by them i believe)

these are "supposed" to be very placement friendly

Not sure if they are the same Arj. I believe that was spelt audisee. I guess dealers are running out of names (with audio in it):lol:.
Cheers,
Sid

Forget home demo...I called the dealer for Vandersteen in Mumbai a couple of days back asking him if demo was possible if I travelled from Bangalore to Mumbai...he said no demo is possible at all!!!

You pay...you buy...and then audition it at your own time!!!:rolleyes:

Not exactly your price range but at 2L a pair...It's not peanuts either...:mad:

..he said no demo is possible at all!!!

Soulforged, Yes I have heard this reply many times as well. Not really sure how dealers expect to get buyers with this attitude, especially the pricier equipment. Anyways good luck with your purchase, perhaps Singapore will be a better alternative to actually audition equipment, not to mention, cheaper. However it is the import hassle that one will have to put up with.
Cheers,
Sid

Forget home demo...I called the dealer for Vandersteen in Mumbai a couple of days back asking him if demo was possible if I travelled from Bangalore to Mumbai...he said no demo is possible at all!!!

Not exactly your price range but at 2L a pair...It's not peanuts either...:mad:

I gave up on Indian dealers for the same reason. As an Indian my first preference is to buy from a local seller. But two factors are too limiting. Overpricing and lack of opportunities to audition.

In past couple years I have sourced all my hifi from abroad. The process is slow, sometimes risky, but it's satisfaction for the money spent.

If you are spending in 6 digit figures per component, you expect to be treated better.

Sidvee, honestly I am still confused by your requirement to home demo when almost all posts say this is really an almost impossible request both here and abroad. It seems that it was one of the important reasons you were sticking with certain brands. If your home demo criteria is somewhat relaxed - for example as you say, perhaps a shop demo here or in Singapore - your options are will truly be widened. Also, there are many great speakers lurking in homes in India too. Perhaps you may be able to have a listen via that route. This forum is not the best place to find these at your price point, but perhaps the dealers themselves can arrange a home demo at some people's homes that they have sold to. I know I offered that to my audio dealer in case he ever needed that help, knowing how difficult it was to sell expensive and high-end gear.

Sidvee, honestly I am still confused by your requirement to home demo when almost all posts say this is really an almost impossible request both here and abroad. It seems that it was one of the important reasons you were sticking with certain brands.

Staxxx,
That is not really the case. In Hyderabad, me and another FM, have managed to home audition the Thiel 2.4, The ATC SCM40 and the Usher Mini Dancer One. All in the $5-$6k range. I also have talked to dealers and will have the opportunity of home demoing models of Avalon Acoustics, Raidho and Evolution acoustics. Waiting on Rockport and Focal.
While I am sure there are many more brands, Magico, Wilson Audio, Marten etc., there is no way I am going to audition all of them (perhaps not at all in India), so I am happy to limit to these and as I stated earlier if all these do not work then I can always consider the Harbeth Monitor 40.1.
Just wanted to add 1 thing, for a $20k speaker the dealer margin is likely to be at-least 25% (I have heard as high as 40% in some cases), so if the dealer does not want to spend Rs. 5 to 10k ($100-$200) on shipping or transport (actually I am willing to pay round shipping and will be doing so for some above mentioned models), for a $5k profit, then perhaps he/she needs to market to Page 3 folks and not audio enthusiasts.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

I 100 % agree with Sid;
Home demo is 100 % required.
Else how will one decide.

I used to have the Gryphon Pre & Power @ Home.
Cadence sent the Canasya to my place.

It [CC] Played better than the GAD - so I purchased the CC & put the G.A.D. [Gryphon Audio Design] on sale.

I had a similar experience with Nexus Audio - The Lars [Sweden]
The Lars was 'sent' to my house for 2 weeks - demo.
I loved it, but we could not come to a financial understanding. I was so sorry to see that Amplifier go;

All said, D & D's make enough money - so a in house demo is 100 % possible.

I know that dCS's D & D [Sound & Vision - Pune] had sent the dCS Puccini to a 'prospective' clients house - 3 years back.
The CD Player was never purchased & till now that FM has not purchased a CD Player / DAC etc. Not Right imho.

So the pendulum can swing both ways.
D & D's do send gear over & clients do not buy - I never purchased The Lars - Although I preferred it to the CC. So I too am in fault. But @ 60/- K Euro = I was a bit too stretched;;;

All said, the E-550 [Accupahse] was not sent to my place for demo - before purchase - Rs. 720/- K is the suggested retail price. I purchased it 'blind' rather 'deaf' - from PTC i.e. !!

Synopsis - D & D's should send audio gear for demo - in house - Specially gear that is expensive i.e.
Prospective clients should behave responsibly - call for a demo with an intent to buy & if they do not like - no problem - say sorry & return the product - but within 1 / 2 months should buy some other product at least;

1 last thing, NEVER take a demo in India & buy from abroad;

I personally took demo 'abroad' & purchased in India - without demo.
Electrocompaniet / Audio Mecca / Metronome / Wadia / Bryston / Gryphon Audio Design / Dynaudio / this can become a really long list - so I will stop;
All my products were purchased from Indian D & D's [mostly] - except products that were not represented in India;
vdH / Wireworld / Cardas [on the Cable front] ! Even Cables I purchased in India from D & D's without Demo....

Last edited:

I agree Bhagwan, one should be fair to the dealer as well. Both my DAC and AMP, relatively high end have been purchased from India authorized dealer. Purchased pre in US as there is no India LAMM dealer, and purchased Harbeth in Malaysia, before Absolute Phase was a dealer, so I try to support Indian dealers when I can.
Also I will ask for a home demo. of the speakers only after I have listened to them at the dealers showroom, if I consider them worthy. Not sure in India, but in the US, if you leave a small amount of deposit on you credit card, the dealer is happy to provide a home demo sample. I have auditioned numerous equipment this way over the last decade - of-course nothing was higher that $6-$7k.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

Most 'dealers' in India are actually 'traders'. They do not stock the products...at least not the ones that are priced high and are not fast movers. They will procure it from the regional distributor only when an order has been placed and the money is in the bank.

On the flip side...once can't really blame them completely for this...how many Harbeths or Martens (or Accuphases or Burmesters or...) were sold in India in the last 12 months? My guess would be very few...The 'dealers' would not want to pay money upfront and stock something that they might struggle to sell and then eventually sell as demo-equipment...after locking in their money for a year!!!

The manufacturers, IMO, should step in and facilitate this in some way...

On the flip side...once can't really blame them completely for this...how many Harbeths or Martens (or Accuphases or Burmesters or...) were sold in India in the last 12 months? My guess would be very few...The 'dealers' would not want to pay money upfront and stock something that they might struggle to sell and then eventually sell as demo-equipment...after locking in their money for a year!!!
Sir,
I am not so sure if I agree with you on this front;
A 2V in Mumbai has a fully stocked Show Room with All the Gear that they represent on demo & fresh piece available for delivery;
Jeff Rowland / Audio Research / Sonus Faber [Aida is on Demo] / B & W [Nautlus is on demo] etc. etc.
Same with Sound of Music - has a demo room in Bangalore & ND - STocked with gear & full demo is on;
So some dealers & distributors do have stock & do offer demos - some do not & there lies the problem - I think...
Trescent Lifestyles sells Steinway Lyngdorf & they have a 2 Crore Rs. Speaker in stock & on Demo - got covered in the Robb Report too;
Audio Excellence in Mumbai too has a good demo room & all the gear they sell in on demo & display & can be heard.....
There are many like this - I could go on & on;;;

I am sorry if you misunderstood me - of course a home demo is terrific, but I just wanted to say from my personal experience that I have only had that opportunity perhaps 1 out of 5 times (20% in other words) if that, especially with expensive, large and heavy components. Perhaps the dealers here are more accommodating and the experience that both you and Bhagwan have had seems to suggest that. I am really very glad to hear this and am keen to support our Indian dealers too. In fact the second system that I used to have was bought locally in its entirety.

By the way, does anyone know if the dealers here invest in their own stock and therefore sell these at favourable prices when new models are introduced? Or if they sometimes sell Demo items? Some dealers hate doing so, while others make a business of it, from my experience.

I am sorry if you misunderstood me .
Absolutely no issue Staxxx, just clarifying my position of what I have experienced here prior to buying equipment.
By the way, does anyone know if the dealers here invest in their own stock and therefore sell these at favourable prices when new models are introduced? Or if they sometimes sell Demo items? Some dealers hate doing so, while others make a business of it, from my experience.

I have seen and been told of demo. sales at A2V, Audio People and Sound of Music, specially when model changeovers happen, so at-least it appears these dealers do own stock.
Cheers,
Sid

Sir,
I am not so sure if I agree with you on this front;
A 2V in Mumbai has a fully stocked Show Room with All the Gear that they represent on demo & fresh piece available for delivery;
Jeff Rowland / Audio Research / Sonus Faber [Aida is on Demo] / B & W [Nautlus is on demo] etc. etc.
Same with Sound of Music - has a demo room in Bangalore & ND - STocked with gear & full demo is on;
So some dealers & distributors do have stock & do offer demos - some do not & there lies the problem - I think...
Trescent Lifestyles sells Steinway Lyngdorf & they have a 2 Crore Rs. Speaker in stock & on Demo - got covered in the Robb Report too;
Audio Excellence in Mumbai too has a good demo room & all the gear they sell in on demo & display & can be heard.....
There are many like this - I could go on & on;;;

You surely have better insights into the industry scene here but my experience in general has been to the contrary...cannot really generalize but I was trying to soften my stand by trying to wear their boots :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back