Mid to high end speaker options

Re: Rockport technologies

By the way, does anyone know if the dealers here invest in their own stock and therefore sell these at favourable prices when new models are introduced? Or if they sometimes sell Demo items? Some dealers hate doing so, while others make a business of it, from my experience.

In Indian the dealer has to invest;
The Distributor gives nothing free.
Yes, Demo gear comes at 'special' price & the understanding 'generally' is for 3 years. Post that the Dealer is free to sell the gear off as 'used'
However, what happens is that the Distributor has a showroom & he offers the
Demo.
The Dealer gets his client to the distributors demo room.
The Client takes the demo & if he likes what he hears - then the order is placed by the Client & the dealer executes that order via the Distributor.

However, many Distributors do not have a demo room & rely on the services of the Dealers for this.
Therefore there is no one rule - it works in both ways;

I guess the whole dealer theory in India is slightly different than other countries because the dealers (many/most) here thrive on non-audiophile customers. Rich clientle who have an ear for good audio systems are their main targets and not exactly the purist audiophile bunch. People who do not care to research on prices or brands, possibly they do not have the time or passion to go up to that extent are the people who give the dealers the majority of their margin. In this scenario home demo is a ridiculous phenomena for many dealers. But then if Rahul Dravid asks for a home demo, he will probably get it from any D&D in India, that is a different story:eek:hyeah:

... But then if Rahul Dravid asks for a home demo, he will probably get it from any D&D in India, that is a different story:eek:hyeah:

Sachin Tendulkar has an all ATC setup. i don't think he had a problem getting a demo.

I agree about this 100%. Most of the high end dealers I have met are more interested in chasing the movie star / ultra high end crowd. Justifiably so ... it just sucks to be "us". When you add in the HT scenario ... us 2 channel folks are a total waste of time to most but the real passionate of dealers.

Sachin Tendulkar has an all ATC setup. i don't think he had a problem getting a demo.

Interesting piece of information Nikhil!

2 channel folks are a total waste of time to most but the real passionate of dealers.

Passionate dealers ?? How many of them exist here ? I guess we can count them by the fingers of a single hand.:rolleyes:

Interesting piece of information Nikhil!

Passionate dealers ?? How many of them exist here ? I guess we can count them by the fingers of a single hand.:rolleyes:

I agree about this 100%. Most of the high end dealers I have met are more interested in chasing the movie star / ultra high end crowd. Justifiably so ... it just sucks to be "us". When you add in the HT scenario ... us 2 channel folks are a total waste of time to most but the real passionate of dealers.

I would not be in a position to cover 1 hand;
Dealers that know about audio or are interested in the 'hobby'

Sachin to the best of my limited knowledge used to have a Cadence Arca with Cadence Canasya - however, that may not be important - cause he may not be an audiophile - then again - maybe he is;;;;

The D & D is at the end of the day a businessman & the more ignorant & rich his client is - the better it is for him.....easier to make a sale - I assume....
He [D & D] is not interested in Demo etc.
I have personally been to several 'well placed' persons houses to 'install & set up' audio gear - after being requested by the D & D to do so & the 'client' has no idea what is going on; rather sad......
They have paid for & purchased gear they have no idea about....:rolleyes:

I have personally been to several 'well placed' persons houses to 'install & set up' audio gear - after being requested by the D & D to do so & the 'client' has no idea what is going on; rather sad......
They have paid for & purchased gear they have no idea about....:rolleyes:

And I guess the dealer himself didnt know how to set it up so he requested you:eek:hyeah:

And I guess the dealer himself didnt know how to set it up so he requested you:eek:hyeah:

I am not so sure;
Most D & D's are 'Trained' :lol:
They have attended many classes & are 'certified' installers - THX Approved etc.
So, I guess, they know their work - rather well, in this case they get someone [me] to do the work for free - so they use my services - I assume...

I am not so sure;
Most D & D's are 'Trained' :lol:
They have attended many classes & are 'certified' installers - THX Approved etc.
So, I guess, they know their work - rather well, in this case they get someone [me] to do the work for free - so they use my services - I assume...

Sad to see you are being taken for granted :lol:

We never discussed The Audio People - Chennai.
They have lots of nice brands & carry stock;
So demo is possible - I feel.
Can the FM's from Chennai chip in ?
What is on demo in the store etc. Current Status and all that;
There may be a 'gem' available that we may have overlooked...
MBL / Avalon / Theil / Accapella etc.

Last edited:

We never discussed The Audio People - Chennai.
They have lots of nice brands & carry stock;
So demo is possible - I feel.
Can the FM's from Chennai chip in ?
What is on demo in the store etc. Current Status and all that;
There may be a 'gem' available that we may have overlooked...
MBL / Avalon / Theil / Accapella etc.

Yes Bhagwan,
I am in touch with both Audio People Hyd., and Chennai. Great guys. We already had a demo of thiel 2.4 in another FM's place a few months back - not for my consideration but for my friend. If they believe you are serious potential buyer, they will provide home demo. I hope to schedule an Avalon home demo. from them in the near future.
Cheers,
Sid

Just some pics;
Since this is a RT Thread - I wanted to keep a few of the Speakers Pictures;
Kindly go through as many as possible & 'study' the room - there are lot of fine details in these pictures;;;
Enjoy !

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 81

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 82

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 103
Superb this is - Sid you have heard this - I so long to listen to it;;

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 87

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 86
My CD Player is here;

These are Staxx's Amps.

Just some pics;
Since this is a RT Thread - I wanted to keep a few of the Speakers Pictures;
Kindly go through as many as possible & 'study' the room - there are lot of fine details in these pictures;;;
Enjoy !

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 81

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 82

Superb this is - Sid you have heard this - I so long to listen to it;;

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 87

Zenfolio | Wizard | System | Photo 86
My CD Player is here;

These are Staxx's Amps.

woah! AV p.o.r.n!!! :clapping::licklips:

Thanks for pictures of those great setups Bhagwan ...

Sachin to the best of my limited knowledge used to have a Cadence Arca with Cadence Canasya - however, that may not be important - cause he may not be an audiophile - then again - maybe he is;;;;

I have to clarify ... Sachin had(s) an all ATC home theater setup.
Probably Shirke had some role in getting him to try out the Cadence gear.

From what I know, Sachin is supposedly an avid music buff. He used to have an extensive CD collection which he used to take a lot of pride in showing to people who visited his home. Story used to be that you could mention an artist and Sachin would get up and pick the CD from the collection. Of course that's probably been replaced by a media server by now.

... sorry for the OT ramblin. Back to the Rockports!

What awesome systems. I wish I could have had speakers like those. Some of those speakers look like battleships !!!

Yes Bhagwan, I do see quite a few rockports on Audiogon. There is a Mira 2 on sale as well and I have seen the Altair on there for half off.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:

Sidvee, I don't want to throw a wrench in the wheel, but have you listened as yet to the smaller Rockports? They are certainly good but I am not sure if they are great - the bigger models are truly great if you have the room for them. There are certainly many good alternatives I feel to the Mira (which I have heard a few times) but of course it is all a matter of taste. I would like to suggest, if you would like to go down the Rockport route, the Aquilla (which is also on sale on Agon). I have heard them sound really very good and who knows if you throw in an offer at 20k he may bite.

Yes Bhagwan, I do see quite a few rockports on Audiogon. There is a Mira 2 on sale as well and I have seen the Altair on there for half off.
Cheers,
Sid

No No;
Please..
None of them are good.
It might be a mistake.
The Mira is an 'average' speaker. Not like any Andy Payor design;;
The Altair is 'bright'
Hence the Altair II was launched.

The Mira Grand - used @ 12 K may be an OK Product.
If you can source it. Will it work in your room ?
The more space you give these speakers - the better they play....
5 to 8 feet behind & minimum 4 feet on the sides...

Used from Singapore / HK is a big possibility;
Mark Han @ Reference Audio - Adelphi - 4th floor will accommodate.
HK dealer has good gear but his prices are not 'conducive' [so I have felt]

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back