mineral wool and rockwool?

manu4panjab

friends where to buy mineral wool and rock wool here in india any dealers actually i'm now planning to rebuilding my home theatre with proper acoustic treatment, floor fully carpeted,new theatre seats,front stage for speakers and subwoofer and hide them behind columns i'm going to make and also rearranging place for projector,avr,ps3 :)

Hi,
Rockwool and mineral wool are same according to me. The glass wool is different than the mineral wool though. It is easily available, you will have to hunt at local hardware market sepcially shops or contractors dealing with insulation materials. Ducting insulators, oven manufacturers and air conditioning contractors are the people with whom you can check the availabilty. Please note that the glass wool is superior than mineral wool wrt density and insulating properties of the material, however for the said purpose rockwool should suffice.

All the best :)

friends where to buy mineral wool and rock wool here in india any dealers actually i'm now planning to rebuilding my home theatre with proper acoustic treatment, floor fully carpeted,new theatre seats,front stage for speakers and subwoofer and hide them behind columns i'm going to make and also rearranging place for projector,avr,ps3 :)

Hi manu4panjab

listen carefully - you have a baby child and young family -

glasswool, rockwool, mineral wool - these are HEALTH HAZARDS - and i suspect, a deadly rose with different names.

PLEASE DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER!!
[/QUOTE]

Yes Suri is right, try to avoid these materials. They are ok for industrial use but should be avoided inside the house due to health hazards.
regards,

Hi manu4panjab

glasswool, rockwool, mineral wool - these are HEALTH HAZARDS - and i suspect, a deadly rose with different names.

[/QUOTE]

so should i stick with normal foams i used before ,is it fine :)

yuuuup you are right within a month i'm going to rebuild it ,here's a helpful link from there i can learn how to build a great ht :cool: ,please check this link http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=574704 ,there are more great looking ht for getting best idea for our ht's

Gook luck Gentleman, and you DID find a good thread.
I read a part of it some time in jan 08 when Anand, AnandTech
started off his HT( his earliest post is from bottom of the page).
Hope this link too will help u in some way.

Hi manu4panjab

[/QUOTE]

Suri is absolutely right about these being health hazards. I have seen samples of all three and the least evil among them is glasswool. I just took out the sample of rockwool and mineralwool from its box and I started sneezing, they are also very itchy.

Having said this, I have still used glasswool in my Home Theater as it has the best acoustic properties. Buy from a reputed company like Twiga as they manufacture to very high quality standards. No amount of care is sufficient in handling glasswool. Flakes keep flying around. If you have to use glasswool, finish the work fast. Keep the room ready. Install the glasswool and close it with panels or boards the same day. Vaccum the room the same day. You can see on my HT thread that my carpenter is wearing gloves, air mask etc while working with glasswool. Ensure you also do the same.

I have a roll of acoustically transparent sheet of tissue like cloth made out of glasswool. Installing this on top of the glasswool prevents flakes from flying around when you open your panels for some maintenance work. Let me know if you need it and I'll send you some, I bought an entire roll and am still left with a lot.

ps: I read about the health hazards of glasswool etc, but I could not find any conclusive statement about its being a carcinogen (cause for cancer). But I also read somewhere that the facts may have been supressed as all American and European homes have been using fibre glass wool for their insulation(heat) needs. Any ideas??

Suri is absolutely right about these being health hazards. I have seen samples of all three and the least evil among them is glasswool. I just took out the sample of rockwool and mineralwool from its box and I started sneezing, they are also very itchy.

Having said this, I have still used glasswool in my Home Theater as it has the best acoustic properties. Buy from a reputed company like Twiga as they manufacture to very high quality standards. No amount of care is sufficient in handling glasswool. Flakes keep flying around. If you have to use glasswool, finish the work fast. Keep the room ready. Install the glasswool and close it with panels or boards the same day. Vaccum the room the same day. You can see on my HT thread that my carpenter is wearing gloves, air mask etc while working with glasswool. Ensure you also do the same.

I have a roll of acoustically transparent sheet of tissue like cloth made out of glasswool. Installing this on top of the glasswool prevents flakes from flying around when you open your panels for some maintenance work. Let me know if you need it and I'll send you some, I bought an entire roll and am still left with a lot.

ps: I read about the health hazards of glasswool etc, but I could not find any conclusive statement about its being a carcinogen (cause for cancer). But I also read somewhere that the facts may have been supressed as all American and European homes have been using fibre glass wool for their insulation(heat) needs. Any ideas??[/QUOTE]

thanks bro,i'll inform you if i need it but not for now atleast not for next one or two months coz i'm now saving money for my ht renovation :D

When I was checking around, I heard some of these materials are at the verge of getting banned. In fact, I work for a company which is expanding its facilities very fast and I'm told that our facilities guys have decided against using these materials for insulation..

Currently, I'm taking help from the only AV dealer I have in my towm for acoustic treatment of the room similar to his listening room. He has used straw boards and I liked the overal experience there...

thanks bro,i'll inform you if i need it but not for now atleast not for next one or two months coz i'm now saving money for my ht renovation :D

I came across this product on the internet.. thought you might find it useful.
It's called Ultratouch - it is made of recycled denim cloth - seems to be quite eco-friendly and kid-safe, and seems to have pretty good acoustic properties. Seems to be somewhat reasonably priced too.. though I don't know if it is available in India. It is also fire retardant and mold resistant.

UltraTouch acoustical - thermal insulation for walls & ceilings - Green Product

Bonded Logic - Natural Cotton Fiber Insulation

Bonded Logic UltraTouch

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-797950.html

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back